Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Linux newbie and LMS installation

To all,

I have been a Windows user for a long time and was glad that Microsoft DOS was replaced; I always liked WXP and W7 since they did what was required and disliked W3/W95/W98/WM because they did not. But Microsoft continues to irritate me with messages indicating that W7 support will end at the beginning of 2020. I installed W10 on my 3 computers (netbook, notebook and desktop) but found that it is so bloated, because it is trying to serve the phone, tablet and computer users, that it is too slow; this is even true on my old home built desktop with an overclocked Intel Quad4, Gigabyte MB and 3 disk RAID0 array. So I backed up the working W10 files in the event that I am forced back to W10. But I want/need another OS that can be usable if W7 is no longer usable. Many years ago (15 or 20) I had tried Linux (version unknown) but found that it required too much dependence on the command window just like my last experiences with DOS6.2. But in my searching on the interweb it was suggested that Linux had improved so I tried a few Linux versions (Ubuntu and Mint were my favorites) and I finally have installed Mint! I installed it in a dual boot configuration with W7 on a separate partition with a swap file.

The first thing that I did with Mint was to make sure that it connected to my network for interweb access. I then downloaded the latest nightly .deb version for my Intel processor; I downloaded it to a Windows partition where I store uninstalled programs. I double clicked on the file and it took me to an installation window where it was indicated that it had been installed; I could not find an icon or folder/partition to set it up. After another search on the interweb I found out how to open the Web Control settings and was able to to most of what I needed. The main thing that I needed was to be able to access my Tunein stations on my SB2s which I could do. But I still have another problem that I cannot do. In Basic Setting I tried to browse to my AUD partiton (a Windows NTFS partition that contains my music, otr and audiobook files. I found that browsing took me to the Linux system files so I added the media file/folder/partition? but my SB2 did not see it; when I use the Mint file manager I am able to see the system files and can drill down to find my AUD files. More searching of the interweb and all I can find is that I must "mount" the partition and that must be done using the terminal command; oh my goodness I have flashbacks to having to use the DOS cmd window!!!!

Is there an easy way for me to access my AUD partition so that LMS can access it? If it needs for me to use the terminal function, unless it is very easy, then I will have to resign myself to using W7 until I can no longer use it. I am in my 70s with memory problems and just cannot go back to using a cmd window. It was a problem with me when I was young since I had no interest in OSs and just wanted to be able to use the programs that I needed to perform the functions required; AutoCAD, Solidworks, PCB and other software.

Any help would be appreciated,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by EEYORE View Post
    In Basic Setting I tried to browse to my AUD partiton (a Windows NTFS partition that contains my music, otr and audiobook files. I found that browsing took me to the Linux system files so I added the media file/folder/partition? but my SB2 did not see it; when I use the Mint file manager I am able to see the system files and can drill down to find my AUD files. More searching of the interweb and all I can find is that I must "mount" the partition and that must be done using the terminal command;
    What you'll want to do is to automount the partition on startup. Have a look at this tutorial.
    (btw, browsing with the Mint file manager mounts devices (disks, usb sticks, ...) as well, so generally there's no need to use the terminal)

Roland0,

Thank you very much for the reply. I am now in Mint. I tried the tutorial but did not find the same "settings" when going into "disks". I found the partition but the choices were different; I do not see the choice to edit mount partitions. And I saw that it applied to ext4 while I had used ext3. I have a Windows program that can do backups and modify partitions but it only handles ext3 so I used ext3. Should I reinstall Mint using ext4? So many things

In addition, in one of my Linux tries of Mint and Ubuntu, I did see that there was an icon on my desktop showing a partition. I do not remember which.

Thank you again for the help,

Richard

I am now in Mint. I tried the tutorial but did not find the same "settings" when going into "disks". I found the partition but the choices were different; I do not see the choice to edit mount partitions.
    First, make sure you've followed the steps exactly (e.g. you've selected your NTFS partition on the left, then clicked on the gear icon etc.)
    Is the menu you see at least somehow similar to the one on the second screenshot in the tutorial?

And I saw that it applied to ext4 while I had used ext3.
    This method should work for all file system types (also, you should be working with your NTFS partition, not with an ext3 partition)

I have a Windows program that can do backups and modify partitions but it only handles ext3 so I used ext3. Should I reinstall Mint using ext4?
    For this task, it doesn't matter. Generally, ext4 is ext3's successor with a number of improvements (e.g. performance, better reliability esp. in case of a power loss etc.), so it's certainly recommended to use over ext3.
    That being said, ext3 is a stable file system, so if you don't want to reinstall, don't (btw, you can convert ext3 to ext4 without data loss, however, for the root partition, this is a bit more involved)
    Also, ext4 is stable since 2008, so you might want to check if there's a newer version of you backup software with support for it.

RolandO,

I have tried the TUT exactly but there is no setting to edit mount partitions. There are settings to format, restore, create image and more. But nothing to mount or edit mount.

Richard

This method should work for all file system types (also, you should be working with your NTFS partition, not with an ext3 partition)

For this task, it doesn't matter. Generally, ext4 is ext3's successor with a number of improvements (e.g. performance, better reliability esp. in case of a power loss etc.), so it's certainly recommended to use over ext3.
    That being said, ext3 is a stable file system, so if you don't want to reinstall, don't (btw, you can convert ext3 to ext4 without data loss, however, for the root partition, this is a bit more involved)
    Also, ext4 is stable since 2008, so you might want to check if there's a newer version of you backup software with support for it.[/QUOTE]

Where is your LMS installed? Is it in Mint? If so, the problem may be different than the AUD partition not being mounted. The fact that you can navigate to the AUD parition in Mint leads me to believe that the partition is mounted (but I'm no Linux guru and could definitely be wrong).

I had a problem that sounds somewhat similar. I have LMS installed on a Raspberry Pi running Raspian Linux and my music is on a stand alone USB HDD that is formatted with NTFS attached directly to the RPi. Even though I could see all of my music files using the Raspian file explorer I couldn't get LMS to find my HDD. After extensive Googling I discovered that most Linux distributions can only read NTFS file systems they can not write to them natively. You have to add a separate package to enable Linux to write to NTFS systems. Apparently LMS wants permission to both read AND write to the NTFS file system. Without that it simply doesn't recognize it. After I added the ntfs-3g package LMS could see the music files and everything worked.

If this sounds like what is happening to you, you might want to try adding ntfs-39. You can google ntfs-3g to learn more about the problem. Unfortunately the easiest way to install it is using the terminal. The command is:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

It will ask for your password and then after a short time it will ask if you want to install the package, type y and press enter. Then reboot your system.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCo06 View Post
    Where is your LMS installed? Is it in Mint? If so, the problem may be different than the AUD partition not being mounted. The fact that you can navigate to the AUD parition in Mint leads me to believe that the partition is mounted (but I'm no Linux guru and could definitely be wrong).
    The Mint file manager automatically mounts any un-mounted device on demand. This is, however, unsuitable for running LMS, since
    - LMS will start before the user session is started
    - the LMS user will not see a NTFS file system mounted by another user

After extensive Googling I discovered that most Linux distributions can only read NTFS file systems they can not write to them natively. You have to add a separate package to enable Linux to write to NTFS systems.
    Apparently LMS wants permission to both read AND write to the NTFS file system. Without that it simply doesn't recognize it.
    LMS doesn't need to write to the path where the audio files are located. It only needs to write to it's own files (which should be on the root partition anyway, in /var/lib/logitechmediaserver/), and to the playlist directory if you use them.
    It doesn't have anything to do with recognizing music files (in fact, my LMS has been running for years without having write access to the partition where the audio files are located)

If this sounds like what is happening to you, you might want to try adding ntfs-39. You can google ntfs-3g to learn more about the problem. Unfortunately the easiest way to install it is using the terminal. The command is:
    I think it's likely Mint includes ntfs-3g by default (at least, the install iso does). If not, the easiest way to install them would be the Mint Software Manager (Administration > Software Manager), no need for a terminal
    OP can easily check / install the package with it

I have tried the TUT exactly but there is no setting to edit mount partitions. There are settings to format, restore, create image and more. But nothing to mount or edit mount.
    Well, that's strange. While I don't run Mint myself, I just installed it into a virtual machine to verify if the tutorial is correct, and it seems to be.
    Here's a short screencast I recorded, maybe it's helpful.

If this option is still unavailable on your installation, I can only suggest to either
    - ask in the Mint community forum, where you'll have a better chance of finding someone with more Mint know-how
    - do it on the command line (Note that this has only to be done once, involves merely pasting a few commands into the terminal and editing one configuration file, and I can walk you through the whole process. However, you'll have to be careful when editing this file, as e.g. deleting it's current content will render your system unbootable, and you'd need some basic Linux skills to recover from that)

JimCo06,

That is one of the many problems that I have with Linux. When I double clicked on the .deb file that I had downloaded to my W7 NTFS partition the "installation" window indicated that LMS had been installed. It did not show me where it had been installed and I could not find an Icon to take me to the Web Control settings page. I have no idea where it is!! In W7 I install all programs to my D: partition; I have partitions from C: to I: for storing different types of files.

My older brother (in his 80s) built a Raspberry Pi years ago and I would ask him about my problem but he gave up on Squeezeboxes years ago because of the complexity of dealing with them. Evidently I am too stupid to do the same since I have used them for so long. Which reminds me that I need to ask him for the 2 or 3 Squeezbox3s that I sent to him that started him off using SBs.

I will check into the ntfs-3g solution since I have not been able to solve the problem yet and am just about ready to give up on Linux; W7 works so well for me. I am in my 70s and not in the best of health so I cannot afford to waste what little time I have.

Thanks,

Richard

In my opinion the easiest straight forward way is to take a pi,
    write the picoreplayer image on sd card,
    connect pi to network,
    look in router or via fing on your phone for the received ip address,
    browse to the pi,
    configure pcp and you're up and running.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity