Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer latency?

I still have a few SB3 running, augmented by a couple of RPI3 B+ with HiFiBerry and PiCorePlayer. The other day I was playing music in sync in three different zones that were all audible from the same location in the back yard. The two slightly more distant zones were PiCorePlayers. The closer zone is a SB3 into under-eave speakers.

There was notable difference in timing between the three zones. This manifest as a kind of delay. I could hear every snare drum hit echo'd, as if it was echoing off a far back wall.

Of course, I would not expect them to be perfectly in sync, since the speakers are at physically different locations. This was more delay than I expected.

This made me wonder if there's any adjustment for latency in PiCorePlayer?

I swapped out the SB3 for another RPi, and everything was then in sync. In all these years I'd never listened carefully to multiple zones, at the same time, where each was using different hardware.
    Michael Graves

House: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, M-Audio BX5As
    Home Office: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, M-Audio BX5A D2, Berhringer B2092A subwoofer
    Workshop: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, Alesis ProLinear 820s, JBL subwoofer
    Back Yard: SB3, Dayton Amp, Definitive Tech AW6500s
    Front Yard: SB3, SMSL Q5 Amp, Definitive Tech AW5500s
    SqueezeCenter on FreeNAS Mini with 10 TB

email: mgraves <at> mstvp.com
    blog: http://www.mgraves.org

Quote Originally Posted by mgraves View Post
    I still have a few SB3 running, augmented by a couple of RPI3 B+ with HiFiBerry and PiCorePlayer. The other day I was playing music in sync in three different zones that were all audible from the same location in the back yard. The two slightly more distant zones were PiCorePlayers. The closer zone is a SB3 into under-eave speakers.

There was notable difference in timing between the three zones. This manifest as a kind of delay. I could hear every snare drum hit echo'd, as if it was echoing off a far back wall.

Of course, I would not expect them to be perfectly in sync, since the speakers are at physically different locations. This was more delay than I expected.

This made me wonder if there's any adjustment for latency in PiCorePlayer?

I swapped out the SB3 for another RPi, and everything was then in sync. In all these years I'd never listened carefully to multiple zones, at the same time, where each was using different hardware.
    LMS has a delay setting. Look under the player tab on the LMS server web settings page.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    LMS has a delay setting. Look under the player tab on the LMS server web settings page.
    While it's likely just be the delay settings in your case, don't forget there is also the tyranny of distance. Sound only travels 330m/s, so for every 10 meters you move away form the speakers, you will introduce a 30ms delay.

I find the distance factor of time sync starts to be noticeable when I can hear two zones at volume. This is especially true with our kitchen and outdoor speakers. If I turn up inside so I can hear it standing in the middle of the patio, there is a noticeable 45ms delay added in, simply because the inside speakers are 15m further away than the outdoor speakers.

I have everything synced so when running at a normal volume, I naturally pass through each zone cross over in a point where the speakers are in sync, so I never notice this effect on day to day. But if I turn them all up so I can hear the lot and stand at the front door it's a mess of up to 1/8 sec delay due to the players being spread over 40 meters.

Sync delay settings are under the player tab > synchronisation screen > Player Audio Delay (ms)
    Last edited by s2kiwi; 2019-07-11 at 19:53.