Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I initially got into Internet Radio / Digital Music via Hi Fi with first a Freecom Musicpal - http://musicpal.mcproductions.nl/ - then a Revo Mondo Internet Radio Adapter - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revo-Mondo-.../dp/B000WBN5EK - before I spent some (semi) serious money on an SB3 and discovered LMS would run on my QNAP TS119.

After getting the SB3 and like Bob I immediately set about ripping my CD collection before moving on to "ripping" my Vinyl collection. Like most I went mp3 to start with and have had to redo a lot of the old rips to FLAC.

Nowadays I still use an SB3 in my Living Room but coupled with a hacked o2 Joggler as a now playing screen. I also use a SB Radio in the kitchen but elsewhere in the house everything is now RPi based coupled with Joggler controllers / now playing but truthfully everything is controlled from my iPhone with iPeng or Material. I also listen on my iPhone with a Audioquest Dragonfly and a pair of B&W P7s.

I have a couple of Touch's, another SB3 and a Boom all boxed up.

Latterly I have been buying secondhand vinyl again and rip it to FLAC or stream it to LMS via a Pi with Raspbian, Liquidsoap and Icecast2 installed.

I can't imagine life without my SB ecosystem (or Music)
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Moving to my squeezebox ecosystem, even with easy access to some internet radio stations I really enjoy and Spotify, actually *increased* my purchase of music. Looking at some notes, I see that between April 2014 and June 2019 (5 years), I increased my music collection by 21,433 tracks (to 100,863). And this is 99%* purchased music (mostly CDs then ripped).

*I also added live shows legally obtained from places like Live Music Archive (archive.org). But this is a very small part of collection.
    Last edited by garym; 2019-07-11 at 03:58.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I discovered the squeezebox system via a complete different route. It was 2005 and I was searching for a networked box with 2 raid drives. Now the are very common as a NAS but then there was no affordable solution until I found a USA based company named infrant (later purchased by netgear) which had a product called Readynas. On that box there was a addon mediaserver, not a clou what it was I began a search. That's how I discovered the squeezebox series and I imported 1 readynas with 2 Squeezeboxes model 2 and I started to rip all cd's I owned.
    A new world opened up.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    I discovered the squeezebox system via a complete different route. It was 2005 and I was searching for a networked box with 2 raid drives. Now the are very common as a NAS but then there was no affordable solution until I found a USA based company named infrant (later purchased by netgear) which had a product called Readynas. On that box there was a addon mediaserver, not a clou what it was I began a search. That's how I discovered the squeezebox series and I imported 1 readynas with 2 Squeezeboxes model 2 and I started to rip all cd's I owned.
    A new world opened up.
    I first ran LMS (squeezeboxserver I think back then) on a ReadyNas Duo V1. Oh man it was painfully slow in terms of browsing my library or searching. But it did the job.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Mine was even for that on a readynas x6
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Over the years I've found that each change to my system re-energises my appreciation of music. Getting my first SB3 was such an event, probably the most significant over the long term, but adding my home-built speakers made a step-change in the sound, which set me off exploring my collection again. Subscribing to Spotify was another such event. Most recently, adding a home-built integrated amplifier, with separate channels for each speaker driver and a spare channel for a sub, has done the same again, this time giving me a new-found appreciation for the bass content in my collection!

Just curious - what was it that lured you away from your Squeezeboxes?
    Honestly, it was a combination of things... The "perfect storm" of sorts...

Like @MeSue, my listening habits have changed. I wouldn't say that I have the same shift as her to podcasts, and other content, but my overall volume of music listening has dramatically decreased. And when I do listen to music, I no longer listen to my digital library. Most (read "almost all") of my music listening is casual listening via my Google Play Music subscription. Additionally, the locations/situations where I listen to music have shifted as well. I no longer listen to music on my traditional audio system. Most of my listening is in my car, or directly from my computer (with a reasonable set of PC speakers/sub-woofer attached).

So based on that, I really have not been lured away from my Squeezeboxes to another network music eco-system. I have been lured away from the need for a network music eco-system altogether (if that makes sense).

It doesn't help that my SqueezeBox Booms started to experience a number of different audio, hardware and physical appearance issues. The center soft-touch paint was starting to get very "tacky" to the touch on all of my booms. Some were very sticky, and others were starting to get sticky. This not only made it irritating for day-to-day usage, but also looked awful. One of the reasons I loved my SqueezeBoxes was that they looked fantastic. A couple of my boom displays became very dim. Again, adding to my frustration with day-to-day use, and appearance. And a couple of my booms had the infamous bass "fart" problem. I know I could have fixed this problem, but a combination of my changing use case, along with all the other problems I mentioned made it hard for me to get motivated to burn calories to fix the problems.

My duet controllers and receivers fared better. There are obviously no speakers, so "farting" was not a problem. But the controller batteries were losing capacity, and as I said, my use case did not include listening to music from my traditional AV rack.

AND...with all of the above...it didn't help that Logitech abandoned the eco-system. I know that the Squeezebox Network is still being maintained (and I applaud Logitech for making this investment for the existing installed base), but the lack of a future for the eco-system certainly did not help matters.

It really is a shame. I really did (and do) love the Squeezebox eco-system. It's a sexy and impressive set-up that I used to show off to all of my houseguests in the prime of my usage. I invested a lot of money and mental energy on the eco-system (and it did return a lot of joy).

But with the "perfect storm" that I described, I decided it was time to do some cost recovery and figure out "what's next".

Does that make sense? Sorry for the long explanation...
    Last edited by MikeekiM; 2019-07-11 at 09:45.
    SqueezeCenter Running on HP EX485 MediaSmart Server (WHS)
    - 2 SqueezeBox Controllers
    - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
    - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

My experience:

Bought our first Squeezebox Duet in 2008 for the living room, connected to my Naim amp. This prompted me to buy a NAS (Synology DS107) to run LMS (then SqueezeboxServer) and learn a whole lot about Linux and networking!
    Bought our second Squeezebox Duet in 2009 for the kitchen. It became the default for listening to music in the house, the kids especially liked the Spotify integration.

10 years later and the main music listening done in the house seems to be via mobile phones and portable bluetooth speakers or headphones. Nobody other than me seems to be bothered about stereo!

The Duet in the living room is still connected, but I am the only one that listens to it. We have some active speakers in the kitchen that have Bluetooth and an RCA aux input that I use for a Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer. Again, I am the only one who uses the SB, everybody else uses the Bluetooth. They don't seem to be bothered that the connections are so flaky and their phone notification sounds are amplified. Most serious listening seems to be done privately on their telephones.

My twins are now 18 and about to go off to uni, and my youngest at 16 seems to spend most of his evenings out with friends or in his room doing homework. Because of this Mrs TLM has decided, just before our 20th anniversary and my 60th birthday, that this is the right time to dispense with her husband.

:-(

She has decided that she does not want to spend her retirement years with me and plans to buy a dog for company instead while she swipes Tinder. I am being shipped off to a small one bed apartment during a 6 month "trial separation". All reasonably amicable - but with great reluctance and sadness on my part. We get on OK, no rows, but she is just bored and thinks that getting rid of me and looking for a new bloke will make life exciting again! She is almost certainly right - but maybe more exciting in the Chinese sense than the fun time she is expecting.

Anyway, she is the one with all the cash, so will be buying me out of the joint property (assuming the trial is "successful"). I will then have enough to buy either a 2 bed flat if I decide to stay in London, or a small house if I move out of town a bit. She says she will be very glad to get rid of all my ugly hi-fi. Any replacement for Mrs TLM is going to need to be more accepting of my audio setup. In fact a shared appreciation of music and its reproduction is going to be a big factor in choosing Mrs TLM 2.0!

I will take the "plug ugly" Linn LP12, Naim amps and B&W speakers and leave her with a nice shiny plastic £30 Sony portable speaker for the living room. If I am feeling generous I might run to a £100 or so for Bose or UE box.

Wish me luck...
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: A piCorePlayer with two Duets, one no longer in active service.
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Duet, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: piCorePlayer, Tibo powered speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    My experience:

Bought our first Squeezebox Duet in 2008 for the living room, connected to my Naim amp. This prompted me to buy a NAS (Synology DS107) to run LMS (then SqueezeboxServer) and learn a whole lot about Linux and networking!
    Bought our second Squeezebox Duet in 2009 for the kitchen. It became the default for listening to music in the house, the kids especially liked the Spotify integration.

10 years later and the main music listening done in the house seems to be via mobile phones and portable bluetooth speakers or headphones. Nobody other than me seems to be bothered about stereo!

The Duet in the living room is still connected, but I am the only one that listens to it. We have some active speakers in the kitchen that have Bluetooth and an RCA aux input that I use for a Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer. Again, I am the only one who uses the SB, everybody else uses the Bluetooth. They don't seem to be bothered that the connections are so flaky and their phone notification sounds are amplified. Most serious listening seems to be done privately on their telephones.

My twins are now 18 and about to go off to uni, and my youngest at 16 seems to spend most of his evenings out with friends or in his room doing homework. Because of this Mrs TLM has decided, just before our 20th anniversary and my 60th birthday, that this is the right time to dispense with her husband.

:-(

She has decided that she does not want to spend her retirement years with me and plans to buy a dog for company instead while she swipes Tinder. I am being shipped off to a small one bed apartment during a 6 month "trial separation". All reasonably amicable - but with great reluctance and sadness on my part. We get on OK, no rows, but she is just bored and thinks that getting rid of me and looking for a new bloke will make life exciting again! She is almost certainly right - but maybe more exciting in the Chinese sense than the fun time she is expecting.

Anyway, she is the one with all the cash, so will be buying me out of the joint property (assuming the trial is "successful"). I will then have enough to buy either a 2 bed flat if I decide to stay in London, or a small house if I move out of town a bit. She says she will be very glad to get rid of all my ugly hi-fi. Any replacement for Mrs TLM is going to need to be more accepting of my audio setup. In fact a shared appreciation of music and its reproduction is going to be a big factor in choosing Mrs TLM 2.0!

I will take the "plug ugly" Linn LP12, Naim amps and B&W speakers and leave her with a nice shiny plastic £30 Sony portable speaker for the living room. If I am feeling generous I might run to a £100 or so for Bose or UE box.

Wish me luck...
    That’s shit.
    Good luck
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    Any replacement for Mrs TLM is going to need to be more accepting of my audio setup. In fact a shared appreciation of music and its reproduction is going to be a big factor in choosing Mrs TLM 2.0!

Wish me luck...
    Sorry to hear of your troubled time at the moment. At my age I know lots of divorced couples (often happens when the kids leave home). And in 100% of the cases, after the initial pain (and its painful even if you want to do it), they are *all* much happier a few short years down the road. Good luck!

Yep, there's a lot of it about. It shouldn't be a reflection on either of you. Remember the old saying: "Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed."

Good luck.