Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191

    mySB.com/Duet/Poor ISP, what to address first?

    Forgive me for the lack of details at this point because I am getting info on this "issue" second hand. I'll try my best to get details as needed.

    With my abundance of SB devices, I gave a duet system to a friend, who knows nothing about SB's.

    I set him up with mysb.com just to get internet radio playing, including pandora via mysb.com. Via WiFi BTW. He really doesn't have a digital music library, just alot of CD's, but eventually would like to rip and have one.

    What happens, I'm told, that the duet just stops, and he can't get it playing again. I have instucted him over the phone how to reset the receiver (press hold = fast red blink) and receiver (either via menu or power/+), and that gets him up and going for a while.

    I had leaned him a boom a while back and he said that would hang up as well. Again, I have not seen it.

    So, my questions on how to move forward:

    1) Is the mysb.com "server" either legacy or significantly inferior to the latest LMS? I ask because I know that Michael and others have put alot into making LMS what it is today. If this might be a solution, I'll get him to install LMS on a computer, and eventually make a picore for him.
    2) His ISP, ADSL, is pretty troublesome as it is in a remote area with old legacy wiring. Is there a network event that could be triggering the freeze?
    3) I have had duets run and run and run in the past, but did have a receiver that was on the fringe of wifi range that I had all sorts of rebuffering issues. Could it be that the duet is a poor choice for an inexperienced user?

    If I had to guess, I would say to try LMS first, but I'm wondering what other thoughts might be out there.

    Thanks for your thoughts...

    Jim

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Forgive me for the lack of details at this point because I am getting info on this "issue" second hand. I'll try my best to get details as needed.

    With my abundance of SB devices, I gave a duet system to a friend, who knows nothing about SB's.

    I set him up with mysb.com just to get internet radio playing, including pandora via mysb.com. Via WiFi BTW. He really doesn't have a digital music library, just alot of CD's, but eventually would like to rip and have one.

    What happens, I'm told, that the duet just stops, and he can't get it playing again. I have instucted him over the phone how to reset the receiver (press hold = fast red blink) and receiver (either via menu or power/+), and that gets him up and going for a while.

    I had leaned him a boom a while back and he said that would hang up as well. Again, I have not seen it.

    So, my questions on how to move forward:

    1) Is the mysb.com "server" either legacy or significantly inferior to the latest LMS? I ask because I know that Michael and others have put alot into making LMS what it is today. If this might be a solution, I'll get him to install LMS on a computer, and eventually make a picore for him.
    2) His ISP, ADSL, is pretty troublesome as it is in a remote area with old legacy wiring. Is there a network event that could be triggering the freeze?
    3) I have had duets run and run and run in the past, but did have a receiver that was on the fringe of wifi range that I had all sorts of rebuffering issues. Could it be that the duet is a poor choice for an inexperienced user?

    If I had to guess, I would say to try LMS first, but I'm wondering what other thoughts might be out there.

    Thanks for your thoughts...

    Jim
    Most likely Network issue.
    Nothing to do with the Duet per se and certainly not an issue with mySB.com.

    It could be the WiFi breaks down but the internet is still connected
    Or
    It could be that the WiFi is ok but the internet goes down

    You need to find out which.

    You need some basic network diagnostics

    Do you know any of his internal IP addresses?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Most likely Network issue.
    Nothing to do with the Duet per se and certainly not an issue with mySB.com.

    It could be the WiFi breaks down but the internet is still connected
    Or
    It could be that the WiFi is ok but the internet goes down

    You need to find out which.

    You need some basic network diagnostics

    Do you know any of his internal IP addresses?
    No on the internal IP addresses, what shall I ask him for? shall I get a screenshot of, say ipconfig?

    I suppose I could install LMS and give him a "library" of a few CD's worth of music and ask him to test. If it doesn't crash while playing the library wifi probably ok.

    Also, I suppose I could have him run a long ethernet cable (his router is in the back of the house, audio eqmt in the front), or, I could loan him a radio or boom to hook via ethernet and see if it's wifi...

    You also suggest network diagnostics, any tools, guidelines, etc I can follow to pinpoint? I have fairly limited IT experience, but know how to debug.

    Thank you
    Jim

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    No on the internal IP addresses, what shall I ask him for? shall I get a screenshot of, say ipconfig?

    I suppose I could install LMS and give him a "library" of a few CD's worth of music and ask him to test. If it doesn't crash while playing the library wifi probably ok.

    Also, I suppose I could have him run a long ethernet cable (his router is in the back of the house, audio eqmt in the front), or, I could loan him a radio or boom to hook via ethernet and see if it's wifi...

    You also suggest network diagnostics, any tools, guidelines, etc I can follow to pinpoint? I have fairly limited IT experience, but know how to debug.

    Thank you
    Jim
    Find the IP address of the Radio - I can't remember how you do it but I'm sure there is a menu option in the Radio that shows you.
    When the connection fails run a ping from your friends PC to the radio

    Start / Run / Cmd
    ping 192.168.1.x or whatever the Radio is
    if it responds then you know the wi-fi is up
    if it fails then the Radio has probably lost wi-fi connection

    Then ping www.bbc.uk
    If it responds then you know the Internet is up
    If it doesn't respond it could only be DNS that is failing so

    Then ping 212.58.249.212
    This is a BBC server address
    If that works but www.bbc.co.uk fails then it is DNS

    DNS will almost certainly be handled by your friends router

    Based on what you have said it could be any one or all of the three issues but it definitely is not a mysb.com issue.

    Are you able to advise ...

    The ISP ?
    The make & model of the Router ?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Find the IP address of the Radio - I can't remember how you do it but I'm sure there is a menu option in the Radio that shows you.
    When the connection fails run a ping from your friends PC to the radio

    Start / Run / Cmd
    ping 192.168.1.x or whatever the Radio is
    if it responds then you know the wi-fi is up
    if it fails then the Radio has probably lost wi-fi connection

    Then ping www.bbc.uk
    If it responds then you know the Internet is up
    If it doesn't respond it could only be DNS that is failing so

    Then ping 212.58.249.212
    This is a BBC server address
    If that works but www.bbc.co.uk fails then it is DNS

    DNS will almost certainly be handled by your friends router

    Based on what you have said it could be any one or all of the three issues but it definitely is not a mysb.com issue.

    Are you able to advise ...

    The ISP ?
    The make & model of the Router ?
    Thanks for the guidance. I'll go over there and work through all of this with him, and get back to you within a few days, stay tuned.

    I am pretty sure his modem/router is the ISP supplied gateway - Arris NVG4438. We both have it, but I have disabled the radios and added an Asus router. So, the router and of course building type is what's different in our setups. Mine is a small cabin, very open, his his more of a house (walls for wifi to travel through). I'll double check that this is his router. I would recommend he add an external router, which I know would improve his wifi, but I hate to ask him to spend $ only to find it doesn't help/solve his situation, or even to provide modest wifi improvement with his other devices.

    A couple points in reading your recommendations above:
    1) The system is Duet, receiver and controller, which are both seperate wifi devices, so I should be looking for two ip addresses I believe. I suppose they should both respond to a ping if they are up and happy.
    2) I imagine the fact that it is a Duet causes me to need to find out that in it's non functional state, which one is not happy with the other. I suppose that we can do that both with a ping, and with the remote control on mySB.com (e.g. can that control the receiver?)
    3) The ISP and wifi are bound to be fine when pinged, but that doesn't mean a drop/restore hasn't happened which caused the duet (receiver or controller) to lose it's way and get into the locked up condition. We are both in the same remote location with ADSL based on old infrastructure, and he has complained on allot of intermittent drop outs, but that could be the isp, or his wifi. I seem to have a more "stable" situation in my setup.
    4) I suppose I could also check the wireless signal strength at the receiver. When I have had weak strength with a receiver in the past, it usually caused rebuffering, but I think it also caused me to have this lockup, but not as often.
    5) Would the receiver lights be telling?: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ler-Hard-Reset I think the receiver is stuck in bright white, will check

    Jim

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Thanks for the guidance. I'll go over there and work through all of this with him, and get back to you within a few days, stay tuned.

    I am pretty sure his modem/router is the ISP supplied gateway - Arris NVG4438. We both have it, but I have disabled the radios and added an Asus router. So, the router and of course building type is what's different in our setups. Mine is a small cabin, very open, his his more of a house (walls for wifi to travel through). I'll double check that this is his router. I would recommend he add an external router, which I know would improve his wifi, but I hate to ask him to spend $ only to find it doesn't help/solve his situation, or even to provide modest wifi improvement with his other devices.

    A couple points in reading your recommendations above:
    1) The system is Duet, receiver and controller, which are both seperate wifi devices, so I should be looking for two ip addresses I believe. I suppose they should both respond to a ping if they are up and happy.
    2) I imagine the fact that it is a Duet causes me to need to find out that in it's non functional state, which one is not happy with the other. I suppose that we can do that both with a ping, and with the remote control on mySB.com (e.g. can that control the receiver?)
    3) The ISP and wifi are bound to be fine when pinged, but that doesn't mean a drop/restore hasn't happened which caused the duet (receiver or controller) to lose it's way and get into the locked up condition. We are both in the same remote location with ADSL based on old infrastructure, and he has complained on allot of intermittent drop outs, but that could be the isp, or his wifi. I seem to have a more "stable" situation in my setup.
    4) I suppose I could also check the wireless signal strength at the receiver. When I have had weak strength with a receiver in the past, it usually caused rebuffering, but I think it also caused me to have this lockup, but not as often.
    5) Would the receiver lights be telling?: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ler-Hard-Reset I think the receiver is stuck in bright white, will check

    Jim
    I can't answer anything about the Duet - its one of the 2 types of SB device that I don't own (the other is a Transporter!) - but I do know how networking works.
    As you are connecting to mysb.com and have already identified internet dropouts generally I'm more inclined to think the problem may be networking that a faulty Duet but I could be wrong. I'd suggest re-posting in the Duet specific area and close this thread.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I can't answer anything about the Duet - its one of the 2 types of SB device that I don't own (the other is a Transporter!) - but I do know how networking works.
    As you are connecting to mysb.com and have already identified internet dropouts generally I'm more inclined to think the problem may be networking that a faulty Duet but I could be wrong. I'd suggest re-posting in the Duet specific area and close this thread.
    Since you suspect networking and so do I (this duet worked at my location) let me do the homework you suggest and get back to you. I'd rather not start over in the duet thread, ok?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,436
    On the Arris router, I'd set up reserved IP addresses for both Duet units (and for any PC that might later be used to run LMS). Here are instructions for a similar unit:
    https://arris.secure.force.com/consu...Reserve-Setup/

    Also, since he's using wifi I'd check to be sure his router is set to the least-congested channel 1, 6, or 11. There are various cellphone apps that let you check this. Here's one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lyzer&hl=en_US

    Lastly, I'd install LMS (latest 7.9 build: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=7.9) on one of his PCs and rip a CD or two just to check if local server is any more solid. (Also gets him started on ripping.)

    If you do end up spending more money, the first thing I'd recommend is a pair of Powerline adapters:
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...dp/B00AWRUICG/

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    On the Arris router, I'd set up reserved IP addresses for both Duet units (and for any PC that might later be used to run LMS). Here are instructions for a similar unit:
    https://arris.secure.force.com/consu...Reserve-Setup/

    Also, since he's using wifi I'd check to be sure his router is set to the least-congested channel 1, 6, or 11. There are various cellphone apps that let you check this. Here's one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lyzer&hl=en_US

    Lastly, I'd install LMS (latest 7.9 build: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=7.9) on one of his PCs and rip a CD or two just to check if local server is any more solid. (Also gets him started on ripping.)

    If you do end up spending more money, the first thing I'd recommend is a pair of Powerline adapters:
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...dp/B00AWRUICG/
    Thank you for your input. I'll try the first three as well and my previous homework from D6JG. I had also thought of loaning him a radio to hook up via ethernet, set both to play (not synced) and see if the radio is still playing if the receiver (on wifi) hangs.

    I'll update in a few days, appreciate both of your responses.

    Jim

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I had also thought of loaning him a radio to hook up via ethernet, set both to play (not synced) and see if the radio is still playing if the receiver (on wifi) hangs.
    That is a good idea
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •