Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Pi 4 and Onboard DAC

Has anyone used pCP 6.0.0 with an on board DAC. I was thinking in particular about the heat issues.

I have a remote (from my router/NAS/Home PC) player/server using pCp 5.01 with an IQAudio DAC+ and a SSD music drive attached by USB 2.0.

This works really well including playing a growing number of .DSF files which are starting to have a place in my collection.

Updating the SSD music drive via samba is woefully slow due to USB2.0, the shared bus and in a small part due to the homeplug "500 MBpS" network between the NAS/Router/Home PC and the Server Player.

I would like to upgrade the player/server to pCp 6.0.0 but a couple of issues present themselves:

1. All cases seem to be for the Pi4 only.

2. Would I need a GPIO extender cable and some offset nuts and bolts to attach the DAC to obviate any heat issues

Has anyone any experience?

Edit: IQAudio advise they are working on a case, but they haven't been happy with prototypes so far because of the heat issues.
    Last edited by ian_heys; 2019-11-07 at 01:58. Reason: Update
    Music Store & VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Home Server/Study Player:
    LMS 7.9.2 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v5.0 Server/USB Audio, Topping VX2 Amplifier
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player LMS 7.9.2 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer 5.0 Server/IQ Audio DAC+ Temple Audio One Amp
    Homeplug/LAN Players: Squeezelite on 2x Windows 10 PC's,
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: SqueezeControl/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Try this ... it worked for me ... add it to your list of Repos in LMS/Settings/Plugins
    Then go back to your pCP JiveLite and Settings/Avanced/Install Applets (or similar)

http://www.dabdig.co.uk/slimserver-r...owpcp-repo.xml

If it does not work I suggest starting a new thread since it is not really related to pCP 6 Beta
    Thanks for doing this Paul.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post
    Has anyone used pCP 6.0.0 with an on board DAC. I was thinking in particular about the heat issues.

I have a remote (from my router/NAS/Home PC) player/server using pCp 5.01 with an IQAudio DAC+ and a SSD music drive attached by USB 2.0.

This works really well including playing a growing number of .DSF files which are starting to have a place in my collection.

Updating the SSD music drive via samba is woefully slow due to USB2.0, the shared bus and in a small part due to the homeplug "500 MBpS" network between the NAS/Router/Home PC and the Server Player.

I would like to upgrade the player/server to pCp 6.0.0 but a couple of issues present themselves:

1. All cases seem to be for the Pi4 only.

2. Would I need a GPIO extender cable and some offset nuts and bolts to attach the DAC to obviate any heat issues

Has anyone any experience?

Edit: IQAudio advise they are working on a case, but they haven't been happy with prototypes so far because of the heat issues.

Ian, I loaded up an IQAudio DAC+ onto a rpi4b (4gb).

It has pcp installed (running the default 32 bit kernel)

Code:
    piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b6 | linux 4.19.80-pcpCore_v7l | piCore v10.2pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1198-pCP
    I started playing "Stones in the Road".

I turned the pi on its long edge, with the audio outputs on the top.

The temperature bumped along at 51/52C.

At halfway through the album playback I returned it to the horizontal position

The temperature averaged 55/56C

Added a gpio extender between the board and the dac.

I repeated the test with another album (Fat City).

The recorded temeratures were much the same.

Hope this is helpful

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Ian, I loaded up an IQAudio DAC+ onto a rpi4b (4gb).

ronnie
    Thanks for this Ronnie. I haven't bought a pi 4 yet I thought I would leave it a month or so and then upgrade.

If IQAudio haven't come up with a case by then I may buy something like the Pimoroni case with GPIO exposed and some sort of mechanical support of the external DAC and SSD drive.

Incidentally I noticed your .DSF test tracks which play on the DAC+ as you know.

I had a couple of the 2L Test tracks too including the Hoff Ensemble. I've now got into SACD ripping through a second hand Sony Blu Ray (ú30.00) and some of the results are quite brilliant. The Analogue Productions SACD's of Nat King Cole are excellent if not almighty expensive and illusive.

Cheers
    Ian

Edit: 55 Degrees doesn't seem too high after the initial heat issues that arose earlier. A quick check of one of my 3B's running at idle shows 50 degrees.
    Last edited by ian_heys; 2019-11-08 at 04:34. Reason: Additional Comments
    Music Store & VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Home Server/Study Player:
    LMS 7.9.2 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v5.0 Server/USB Audio, Topping VX2 Amplifier
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player LMS 7.9.2 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer 5.0 Server/IQ Audio DAC+ Temple Audio One Amp
    Homeplug/LAN Players: Squeezelite on 2x Windows 10 PC's,
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: SqueezeControl/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

With upgraded firmware, the heat is better on the PI4, but I still wouldn't put it in a sealed case, it needs some sort of ventilation
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi, is Beta the only solution to had Mono output ?

Pi Zero W
    JustBoom Amp zezo

Mono output requires a little playing with the alsa asound setup. There is no difference between pCP 5.0.0 and pCP 6.0.0-beta

i precise that i want to get mono on my Justboom amp zero and not on the rpi jack...

-> Could you define "little playing", because when a try to follow this tutoriel and edit asound.conf with nano, i have this

Code:
    sh: nano: not found
    Nano isn't installed on piCorePlayer ? and apt-get no more ?
    Last edited by eliottinthesky; 2019-11-08 at 18:06.

No nano is not installed. vi is there. You can add nano from the extensions page.

If you just want mono. You should be able to do that in the Extras|asound Tab, but that is a beta function

i'm sorry but where is "Extras|asound Tab"

Edit : sorry i find it, not very ergonomic place ^^

Name:  Capture dĺécran 2019-11-09 à 02.59.39.png
Views: 174
Size:  20.2 KB
    Last edited by eliottinthesky; 2019-11-08 at 19:10.