Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I did a few more tests with wiringpi. From my perspective everything points to there being a problem with the current version (2.52) on an RPi 4B.

What I've done:
    1) I tried my fully configured pCP6.0.0 beta1 SD card in a 3B+ (configured with LMS, Squeezelite etc, plus Paul's repackaged wiringpi version 2.52). Setting the pull-up or pull-down resistor on an input pin will result in the pin taking a value of '1' or '0' respectively. This is as it should be I believe.
    2) With the same SD card in a 4GB 4B, setting the resistors has no effect on the pin value.
    3) I also tried it in a 1GB 4B - same result, i.e. the pin value does not change in response to setting the resistor.
    4) I then tried a Raspbian Buster Lite image, and updated the wiringpi package to 2.52 using Gordon's instructions here. Same result on the 1G 4B - setting the resistor has no effect on the pin value.

So the wiringpi version in pCP seems to be behaving the same way as it does in Raspbian, which is to say that I cannot setup an input pin so that shorting it to GND will change its value.

There's a clue on the Raspberry Pi forum here. The way the resistors work has changed apparently. The linked forum thread suggests that wiringpi has been updated to suit, so either that's not completely correct or I'm missing something.

I emailed Gordon. He confirmed that the resistor control stuff hasn't been updated in wiringPi yet, but it's in the pipeline. Poor fella seems rather jaded about some hostile reactions to this. I guess some people don't appreciate what it takes to support such a widely used, and free, product.

That's a real shame. It takes an enormous amount of time and part of the appreciation could be a donation but not everyone agrees on that.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

I would have warned you about it. Look at the source code, he makes comments in the source about being inundated with emails. And you are correct, most folks feel rather entitled to free software. I would say the group around here are much more appreciative and understanding.

Anyway, I have found the required memory offset information, I have the output side working, I the input side was sort of working, but I have a few problems I need to track down. I should have something workable soon.
    Last edited by paul-; 2019-07-11 at 08:29.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    From here I found:

Code:
    sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
    sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq
    sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
    ...to get maximum CPU frequency under load, minimum CPU frequency at idle, and current frequency respectively.

Mine's currently at 600000 (600MHz), since it's at idle, and has a maximum of 1.5GHz. Does it jump straight to 1.5GHz under normal load conditions, such that any speed other than 600MHz or 1.5GHz indicates that it's trying to run at full speed but is being throttled? Or does it step up gradually from 600MHz according to the amount of load? If the latter, how can you tell if it's throttling or just not under enough load to need to go faster?

I've just applied the firmware update posted here, and it's had a noticeable effect. I'd been logging the CPU temperature over night, and it stayed at 59 degrees all night, occasionally changing to 60 degrees, but I think that's just the precision of the sensor, since the RPi4 wasn't doing anything. A few minutes after rebooting after the firmware update and it's dropped to 56 degrees. That's the 3-5 degrees reduction that was expected for the new firmware.

EDIT: Standing upright, such that the upward airflow is parallel to the fins on the heatsink, I'm seeing another couple of degrees drop. It's now steady at 54 degrees at idle. That's the same temperature as another 3B+ I have that's idling inside an official case. This evening I'll mount it in place of my main 3B+ that's inside my amplifier chassis, to see what effect that has. At this point I'm quite encouraged by the temperatures.
    Tbh you'd have to check which governor is in use, there are several and they all behave slightly differently. Generally it ramps up the speed quickly but the CPU has to be busy enough to have no idle states between clock interrupts for the clock speed to step up.

Essentially though, if the cpu remains 100% busy and you are not sustaining maximum clock speed then it's likely that the firmware has stepped in to keep the temp down.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Gotta love someones infinite wisdom here

All previous pi's the resistor pulls down=1 and up=2
    Pi4, pull up=1 and down=2

I made some updates and did some basic IO tests... I think I have it working. Please be careful testing.

pcp-update wiringpi.tcz
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Gotta love someones infinite wisdom here

All previous pi's the resistor pulls down=1 and up=2
    Pi4, pull up=1 and down=2

I made some updates and did some basic IO tests... I think I have it working. Please be careful testing.

pcp-update wiringpi.tcz
    What kept you? :-)

Excellent, thanks Paul. I updated to your version 2.53, and the basic checks with the gpio command worked ok.
    Code:
    gpio -g mode 24 in
    gpio -g mode 24 up
    ...sets the value to 1

Code:
    gpio -g mode 24 down
    ...sets it to 0

With it set to 'up', shorting pin 24 to GND via an attached button changed the value to 0.

So then I tried my sbpd command string and my button PCB, and it all seems to work correctly as it used to on the 3B+, i.e. the intended functions are being triggered with each short or long press.

So thank you Paul, that seems to have fixed it.

Edited: LMS startup problem went away after restoring the SD card from a backup.
    Last edited by chill; 2019-07-12 at 01:10.

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Tbh you'd have to check which governor is in use, there are several and they all behave slightly differently. Generally it ramps up the speed quickly but the CPU has to be busy enough to have no idle states between clock interrupts for the clock speed to step up.

Essentially though, if the cpu remains 100% busy and you are not sustaining maximum clock speed then it's likely that the firmware has stepped in to keep the temp down.
    Thanks Matt - just spotted this. I haven't had the 4B in full-time service for the last couple of days, so don't have any new experience of the temperature behaviour, but now that my buttons are working again I'll get this 4B installed in my amplifier enclosure and get some experience with it over the weekend.

Totally off-topic but very curious about your amplifier setup. Perhaps new thread with pictures?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity