Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 85 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Bluetooth - no sound

Hi all,

I'm new around here and would like to start with a question re sending audio from my Android device via Bluetooth to pCP.
    pCP 6 Beta 7 is running on a RPi3 with a HiFiBerry DAC+, everything else is running just fine, only Bluetooth is giving me a headache.

After several attempts I finally got all the green checkmarks and thought I had it all set up correctly
    Name:  pCP6BT.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  74.2 KB
    and to me it looks like BT is installed and running, the phone is paired..
    ..but there is no sound coming out of my speakers.
    Restarted everything several times, uninstalled Bluetooth, restarted again, reinstalled Bluetooth, restarted again..

Since I don't have any other player with Bluetooth capability, I couldn't tell if it wasn't just a problem with my Andoid phone.
    So I went to a friend who has a JBL Bluetooth speaker.
    There I can send audio from my phone to his speaker, so I tend to think that I forgot or did something wrong in the pCP config.

Any ideas?

I should add that I really don't know anything about Bluetooth, never had used it before.
    But now that it's so close, I can see the opportunities!

Thanks in advance!
    Thomas

EDIT:
    Now paired my Windows computer with piCorePlayer, but still no sound.
    Output device shown is 'piCorePlayer' and the windows computer is visible as 'connected' on the pCP BT page.
    Last edited by TinyTommy; 2020-01-23 at 16:44. Reason: Addition

To play from your phone via Bluetooth to your pCP device, you need to use pcp-streamer in conjunction. The player would then listen to the stream. This allows any device on your LMS system to listen to that stream.

PCP streamer is on the tweaks page, and the url to stream will be shown there.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thank you Paul!

Now that pcp-streamer is installed and I see this URL, what am I supposed to do with it?
    Obviously, I don't have the slightest about how BT is supposed to work!

I suspect that it still won't behave like this BT speaker I was able to send audio to, right?
    It dawns on me that I will I need to install LMS on the Raspberry.
    And then, how will I tell my phone or any BT capable device where to send/stream its output to?

Sorry for these beginner's questions, and if you think I should do some basic research first, please let me know.
    But where should I start?

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Looks like the you need python, smbus, and rpi-vc. As dependencies. On the surface, the fan looks like itĺs I2c controlled.... They have 3 fan speeds.
    Is it possible to write to I2c with piCorePlayer? So I can write one byte at start to let the fan work in one defined speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoszx View Post
    I also have this RPi4 case.
    From the script itself, i saw that: 'shutdown_pin=4'.
    I suppose that is the pin used for shutdown command.
    And, it must be pulled down: 'pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_DOWN'
    I switched this on for pin 4 in piCorePlayer and installed the script via the webinterface. I thought is was working because the Pi is switching off.
    But now I looked into the logfiles and see that the USB drives are not unmounted correctly before. So the shutdown is not happening.

Is there any possibility to see if the shutdown script is called when switching off without an attached monitor? E.g. via looking at the logfile via ssh or something like that?
    Last edited by carsten_h; 2020-01-24 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTommy View Post
    Now that pcp-streamer is installed and I see this URL, what am I supposed to do with it?
    Obviously, I don't have the slightest about how BT is supposed to work!
    I have not used this - but I think that the way to do it is to think of that URL as being like an Internet radio stream.
    From your LMS interface, tell one of your players to play that stream URL while using your Bluetooth source to send audio to the pCP Bluetooth.
    Once you have it working well you could set it as a favourite in LMS to make it easy to use next time.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    ..but I think that the way to do it is to think of that URL as being like an Internet radio stream.
    From your LMS interface, tell one of your players to play that stream URL while using your Bluetooth source to send audio to the pCP Bluetooth...
    Never could have worked that out myself!
    Thanks Paul, seems that's exactly how it's done.

But I think I will have to move my LMS to the Raspberry to get it really usable.
    The way my system is set up, it doesn't work well enough.
    LMS is on a NAS on the 2nd floor, living room with piCorePlayer is on the 1st floor.
    The stream has to squeeze via BT from my phone to piCorePlayer, via WLAN to the LMS and then back to the player..
    This leads to a massive lag, and volume control is a nightmare.

But at least now I know how to make it work.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTommy View Post
    Never could have worked that out myself!
    Thanks Paul, seems that's exactly how it's done.

But I think I will have to move my LMS to the Raspberry to get it really usable.
    The way my system is set up, it doesn't work well enough.
    LMS is on a NAS on the 2nd floor, living room with piCorePlayer is on the 1st floor.
    The stream has to squeeze via BT from my phone to piCorePlayer, via WLAN to the LMS and then back to the player..
    This leads to a massive lag, and volume control is a nightmare.

But at least now I know how to make it work.
    Thanks a lot!
    The lag is causes by something else. I see it on wired connections too. It think it is mostly in the BT transmission *BlueAlsa".

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Is it possible to write to I2c with piCorePlayer? So I can write one byte at start to let the fan work in one defined speed.
    Yes you can, we can probably run the scripts(Daemon) that they use. You just can use the installation script. Can you start a new thread with all the detail you previously posted. That will make it easier to track, vs getting buried in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Can you start a new thread with all the detail you previously posted. That will make it easier to track, vs getting buried in this thread
    Yes, you can find it here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...h-piCorePlayer