Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1969
    • Jun 2009

Installing LMS on a cloud server

> What configuration You would recommend (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS)?

I got used to using Debian (Raspbian, to be exact :-)). It's not as up
    to date as Ubuntu, but often easier to maintain for that reason.

--

Michael
  • frank1969
    • Jun 2009

Did anyone try to install LMS on a cloud server (eg from ionos/1und1).

I wanna try, the idea is to install the LMS package there, copy my database ( library.db or the whole "cache"-directory ) onto the server and then adressing it from "all over the world" on http://*myIP*:9000 )

Can anyone tell if this works or if there should be any problems I don't see yet?

They offer LINUX with either
    CentOS 6
    CentOS 7
    Debian 8
    Debian 9
    Ubuntu 16.04
    Ubuntu 18.04

Which should be best for installing LMS and which LMS installer do I have to chose (sorry for the stupid question, but I'm running LMS for Windows since more than 10 years )

THANKS!

PS: Just to add: I don't wanna use it to listen MUSIC over the www, I know this won't work (for the library is on my PC offline). I only wanna use the database function-s.
    Last edited by frank1969; 2019-06-27, 11:40.

Comment

• slartibartfast
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by frank1969
      Did anyone try to install LMS on a cloud server (eg from ionos/1und1).

I wanna try, the idea is to install the LMS package there, copy my database ( library.db or the whole "cache"-directory ) onto the server and then adressing it from "all over the world" on http://*myIP*:9000 )

Can anyone tell if this works or if there should be any problems I don't see yet?

They offer LINUX with either
      CentOS 6
      CentOS 7
      Debian 8
      Debian 9
      Ubuntu 16.04
      Ubuntu 18.04

Which should be best for installing LMS and which LMS installer do I have to chose (sorry for the stupid question, but I'm running LMS for Windows since more than 10 years )

THANKS!

PS: Just to add: I don't wanna use it to listen MUSIC over the www, I know this won't work (for the library is on my PC offline). I only wanna use the database function-s.
      From your precious thread about this I guess nobody else has tried. Why not try it and report back? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
      Bedroom: Radio
      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• mherger
        Babelfish's Best Boy
        • Apr 2005

> Did anyone try to install LMS on a cloud server (eg from ionos/1und1).

Certainly should be possible, if you've got "root access". Eg. are
        allowed to install any software package.

> I wanna try, the idea is to install the LMS package there, copy my
        > database ( library.db or the whole "cache"-directory ) onto the server
        > and then adressing it from "all over the world" on http://*myIP*:9000 )

I'm not sure this will work: if LMS can't find the files it would start
        removing them from the database.

I believe you'd be better off trying to find some SQLite browser you can
        install as a web service.

--

Michael
        Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
        (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• frank1969
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mherger
          I'm not sure this will work: if LMS can't find the files it would start
          removing them from the database.
          Many thanks again. On windows it works (Copy the .db from Desktop PC to Laptop and can browse it when I'm on the road with my Laptop.
          So I'll give it a try and report it here.

What configuration You would recommend (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS)?

Comment

• d6jg
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by frank1969
            On the contrary, it would work if you copied your music there and if you have sufficient bandwidth at the player end but its definitely not safe to do so unless a VPN is involved.
            Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
            Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
            Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• frank1969
              • Jun 2009

I promised to report and the most important things:
              1. It works
              2. ... halfway

First of all I installed on Windows Server (2019) - I'm a "Windows Kid" and so it was easier to me to compare and copy to and from my local installation.

What I did?
              I installed LMS (for Windows, lastest nightly) on the Cloud Server - it worked.
              Then I stopped LMS, deleted the "cache" directory and copied the whole "cache" directory from my local installation of LMS to the Cloud Server.
              I restarted the LMS, called the web interface ( http://*MyIP*:9000/ ) from any other computer on the www - works.

The only thing that DON'T work (but works on my local installation of LMS) is the search box.

"Advanced Search" works fine.
              Browsing from the homepage artists, albums, compilations ... works perfectly - and if i browse / "click" an artist, it shows all albums this artist is on.
              Everything works as it should be,

The only thing that doesn't work is the searchbox (from the homepage) it shows no results.
              Even the Search from homepage (beneath the browing sections) gives no result.
              (e.g. it shows "Home > Search > Artists (Beatles)" without results - but I definitely own songs and abums by the Beatles)

If I see it right, it's the "search.html" that is not working (while the "advanced_search.html" is working fine).

Any idea what causes this behaviour and how to solve it?

Side information:
              I use "squeezer" on Android which seems to work in a similar way and brings no results as well while browsing works perfectly.
              Curious thing: When I perform a search for "Rock" btw. I get no results either in albums, artists nor songs - but I get some hits in "genres" (rock, rocknroll, hardrock)..
              Maybe this helps to locate the problem?

Thanks
              Frank
              Last edited by frank1969; 2019-07-15, 12:55.

Comment

Working...