Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

levitating turntable

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Oh my. Do I need a special super duper power supply. And what if I want to use it in zero gravity while on the space shuttle?
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Oh my. Do I need a special super duper power supply. And what if I want to use it in zero gravity while on the space shuttle?
    Don't know about a super duper power supply, but you might have a problem adjusting the tracking weight on the space shuttle!
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

I don't even own any vinyl....... and I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    I don't even own any vinyl....... and I want one!
    What happens to the levitation if there's a power cut? Probably a nicely scratched disc ?
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    What happens to the levitation if there's a power cut? Probably a nicely scratched disc ?
    It seems that some audiophiles do UPS. I noticed this (haven't watched the video, though):

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/choo...or-the-system/

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    I had exactly the same question, but if you check the link in post #1 there's this information:

UPS SYSTEM
    This solution stores enough power to safely lift the tonearm, stop the record, and return the platter feet to resting position

What effect does this have on playback?

This effect does not have a major impact on playback, but it does achieve an amazing visual experience. No motor also means there is no wear and tear in regards to the parts of our drive, which results in greater durability.
    The answer is from the designer.
    https://thevinylfactory.com/features...lev-interview/
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    When I first heard about this turntable (probably a year or so back), my immediate thought was "isn't the magnetic drive system going to interfere with the pickup cartridge?".
    I note with interest that in the designer's responses to questions in the above link, he states that they use "blocking material" (whatever that might be) which means that most MM cartridges are unaffected. He also admits that MC cartridges are affected for the time being.

I can't help thinking that this levitating turntable is little more than an interesting exercise in what can be achieved, rather than having any practical advantage for day-to-day vinyl playback. The limitations of the medium itself far outweigh any shortcomings in the manner by which the platter is rotated.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Itĺs just a very nice looking, cool useless object. There is nothing more than design and marketing in these things. Improving a marginal effect in a system that is intrinsically flooded with much bigger non-linear distorsions. You might still like the sound, itĺs a fully respectable question of taste, but not a question of precision.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5