Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
    Hey there,

Wondering if Michael might have some way of counting how many devices are currently being used?

Perhaps an estimate of how many devices currently connect to mysqueezebox.com?

Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    The connection the mysqueezebox doomed ecosystem is an evil that needs to be eradicated from the any LMS connected device.

I am not even sure if I deleted or still included the mysqueezebox account, but if I do it is by accident. My LMS just plays local music or Spotify these days. I don't want anything else.

My mom unfortunately doesn't visit me anymore, but that was my last connection to internet radio stations she listened to while staying with me.

*None* of my devices have ever failed, and I have more than i need. The receiver (and certainly the controller) shall never see any active duty again.

In fact I have donated several of my devices to friends, and they are still working hard and well playing music.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    The connection the mysqueezebox doomed ecosystem is an evil that needs to be eradicated from the any LMS connected device.

I am not even sure if I deleted or still included the mysqueezebox account, but if I do it is by accident. My LMS just plays local music or Spotify these days. I don't want anything else.
    Iím sorry but this is just silly, people have said mysqueezebox.com is doomed for over 10 years and itís still (with a few exceptions) working more or less as good as it did 10 years ago. I do agree that it will die eventually, as everything else. Just as an example, it has so far survived and been maintained longer than any of my Apple devices. Reasoning the way you do it would be pointless to buy a new smartphone today since itís doomed, the latest iPhone is unlikely to be usable 5 years in the future so why buy and use it today. Are you sure Spotify will be alive 2024 ?

I think the lifetime of Squeezeboxes (including mysqueezebox.com) is exceptional. I think I have exactly one electronic device in my home thatís older than my Squeezebox Classic, everything except for my Sherwood receiver has been replaced after I purchased the Squeezebox Classic back in 2006. Iím trying to think of any cloud services that has been alive longer than mysqueezebox.com and realize there arenít many. Iím not sure any of the premium streaming services on the market has been alive as long as mysqueezebox.com

Having said this, mysqueezebox.com will eventually stop working but if we want it to survive longer we should keep using it rather than stop using it. It obviously get easier for Logitech to shut it down if nobody uses it.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

I prefer to run LMS with the --nomysqueezebox.com parameter, have done so for years. Now we're being told not to do this. I have absolutely no use for mysb.com.

What's the difference between running (a) LMS with the --nomysqueezebox.com parameter, or (b) LMS with mysqueezebox.com, but not using mysb.com?

Does it make any difference to the numbers of units Logitech are seeing?
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Any Squeezebox device is worth keeping. They are pretty reliable in comparison to other gadgets nowadays. Might not be quite so true for some of them, the Radio for instance, but in general, the construction of SBs is solid. Michael is doing a superb job in keeping the platform up and running. This should be honored much more.
    Hardware-wise, it's telling that a lifetime of 10 years or more is considered exceptional nowadays. My main amp is a Revox B250-S that was built in 1987, and besides a capacitor replacement there was no service ever needed for it. 32 years in permanent service, that's quite something. And I have no doubts I would still use it 30 years from now. Schematics are available, the hardware design consists mainly of standard components, and Revox keeps supplying almost any component of any device they ever brought to market. That's remarkable. I cannot think of any other manufacturer that does this.
    The speakers and most parts of my main stereo set are nearly the same age. Good proof that spending more money gave you better quality, at least that's what used to be true back in the day. You can now spend 1600 EUR on an iPod dock and enjoy its crappy audio from a wife-acceptable shiny 7.1 polypropylene D-class system, and these things won't even last you 5 years before they add to the garbage dump because nobody is capable of repairing the undocumented, twisted, "defective by design" components. In what aspect is that better anyway? Hi-Fi was never about fashion, still my impression is that the focus shifts towards the shell and gimmicks like app control, and away from overall quality.
    Something got lost along the way but it's not caused by the manufacturers entirely. It's also the consumer's responsibility to control where things are heading, and imho it's going down the drain.
    If your Squeezebox fails you, there are ways to repair most of the issues. I am trying to do my part in keeping the Squeezebox ecosystem ticking. Please, instead of considering to abandon Squeezebox in total, or tossing a failed device, give me a PN or create a thread in this forum. There are many people out there who will help.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

Does it make any difference to the numbers of units Logitech are seeing?
    From Michaels posts about this it seems it does make a difference. Even if you use it for nothing else it can do artwork resizing for you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

How Many Squeezeboxes still in use?

> I prefer to run LMS with the ---nomysqueezebox.com -parameter, have done
    > so for years. Now we're being told not to do this. I have absolutely no
    > use for mysb.com.

But for this forum and the build system pushing out nightlies.

> What's the difference between running (*a*) LMS with the
    > ---nomysqueezebox.com- parameter, or (*b*) LMS with mysqueezebox.com,
    > but not using mysb.com?

Now that's actually a very good question :-)... does it still do update
    checks with --nomysqueezebox?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

> What's the difference between running (*a*) LMS with the
    > ---nomysqueezebox.com- parameter, or (*b*) LMS with mysqueezebox.com,
    > but not using mysb.com?

Now that's actually a very good question :-)... does it still do update
    checks with --nomysqueezebox?

Michael
    Plugins? LMS nightlies? Yes of course, I wouldn't use it else.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

+1 @JoeMuc2009
    I'm on the same page.
    For MySqueezebox.com. If it has a meaning i will login but at the moment i'm not using it at all. Not logged in via LMS but also at the same time not using the --nomysqueezebox option.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

How Many Squeezeboxes still in use?

>>> What's the difference between running (*a*) LMS with the
    >>> ---nomysqueezebox.com- parameter, or (*b*) LMS with mysqueezebox.com,
    >>> but not using mysb.com?

>>
    >> Now that's actually a very good question :-)... does it still do update
    >> checks with --nomysqueezebox?

>
    > Plugins? LMS nightlies? Yes of course, I wouldn't use it else.

Ok, with --nomysqueezebox not even update checks would reach out to
    mysb.com, but LMS would without it, but no credentials set. The update
    check is what gives me a rough number of installations out there.
    Otherwise I have no means to know how many there are. I'd appreciate it
    if you re-enabled it. --nomysqueezebox was a tool for myself to see what
    else needs to be tweaked in order to make LMS stand alone. But it's
    nothing I'd encourage using.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >>> What's the difference between running (*a*) LMS with the
    >>> ---nomysqueezebox.com- parameter, or (*b*) LMS with mysqueezebox.com,
    >>> but not using mysb.com?

>>
    >> Now that's actually a very good question :-)... does it still do update
    >> checks with --nomysqueezebox?

>
    > Plugins? LMS nightlies? Yes of course, I wouldn't use it else.

Ok, with --nomysqueezebox not even update checks would reach out to
    mysb.com, but LMS would without it, but no credentials set. The update
    check is what gives me a rough number of installations out there.
    Otherwise I have no means to know how many there are. I'd appreciate it
    if you re-enabled it. --nomysqueezebox was a tool for myself to see what
    else needs to be tweaked in order to make LMS stand alone. But it's
    nothing I'd encourage using.

--

Michael
    You speak, I obey, done!

But you do know that this is an option made easy in both piCorePlayer & max2play?

Name:  --nomy.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  27.1 KB