Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1969
    • Jun 2009

Running LMS on web server

> My server (ionos) has MySql support (Sqlite not sure).

What are you running on your server? PHP has sqlite support built in.

And without further knowledge of your application it's hard to tell how
    to best do it. You aren't accessing MySQL directly from the road, I'd
    assume? If you already had an application in place, automated migration
    from SQLite to MySQL would probably be easiest. Or re-write the app to
    use SQLite directly etc.

--

Michael
  • frank1969
    • Jun 2009

Running LMS on web server

I'm looking for an easy way to run LMS on a web server / cloud server.
    The idea is to have the database always with me, so I don't wanna hear music with it but "only" use the database to browse my library if I'm not at home, so I don't wanna do "imports" but preferably copy my local LMS-files/database to the server.
    My server (ionos) has MySql support (Sqlite not sure).

Till now I had a (selfwritten) PHP-script for my MySql database , exported the sqlite from my local LMS installation (into *.csv) and re_imported it on my webserver. But this is pretty boring job so I look for an easier way to either
    a) 'automatically' convert Sqlite into MySQL
    b) run LMS "as is" on my webserver (copying the *.db files to the server)

Any ideas?
    If You might see, I'm not very experienced in databases (except a little MySQL) so I just don't know how Sqlite works on a web server...

Comment

• Paul Webster
      • Apr 2005

I remember a Library-to-PDF module that someone produced ... not as flexible as having the database available but comes with the benfit of being able to browse or even search it when offline.
      Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• frank1969
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mherger
        > My server (ionos) has MySql support (Sqlite not sure).

What are you running on your server? PHP has sqlite support built in.

And without further knowledge of your application it's hard to tell how
        to best do it. [...] Or re-write the app to
        use SQLite directly etc.
        Thanks for Your quick answer - and I propably expressed my idea to complicated, it is much more simple (I guess):
        My "best" experience would be just to copy the "cache" directory onto my web server, maybe even the prorgram directory and the "server" directory, make a few modifications, start the index.html and ... done

or (second best) having the "library.db" on my (web)server and browse them with some sqlite-android-app...

Comment

• Roland0
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by frank1969
          or (second best) having the "library.db" on my (web)server and browse them with some sqlite-android-app...
          You could try this app
          Before that, I used this database app to browse/search my collection info on my phone.
          Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
          Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Comment

• JerryS
            • Jun 2010

I can't really get my head around why you are trying to do this so I am probably being thick. However, instead of converting SQlite to MYSQL, why not just set up LMS to use MYSQL instead of SQlite? That's what I do. Then no conversion will be necessary, you can use something like phpMyAdmin to export and import the db.

JerryS

Comment

• drmatt
              • Apr 2013

Or use a client VPN and either run a squeeze client on your phone or stick the upnp server plugin on Lms and use a upnp client to browse on your phone instead.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
              --
              Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
              Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Comment

• frank1969
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JerryS
                I can't really get my head around why you are trying to do this
                Well, the answer is simple: I am working in the music biz, have a 725k database/archive and I am very often abroad so I use my LMS-database when I have to find out if I have song xy by artist yz in my database and can use it for a show/program or even to see, on what album the song xy is/was available. So it would be great to have my LMS always with me (of course I could do an Excel-export but updating it and browsing an excel-sheet with 725k rows via smartphone and using filters isn't that comfortable).

Originally posted by JerryS
                instead of converting SQlite to MYSQL, why not just set up LMS to use MYSQL instead of SQlite? That's what I do.
                OK, THANKS ! that's probably a good idea. I had in mind it wasn't recommended for huge databases to user MYSQL and it wasn't supported anymore. Could You give me a hint where I can find the option to change from Sqlite to Mysql (I remember there was an option about 2 or 3 years ago but I can't find it anymore...)

Comment

• JerryS
                  • Jun 2010

Well, the answer is simple: I am working in the music biz, have a 725k database/archive and I am very often abroad so I use my LMS-database when I have to find out if I have song xy by artist yz in my database and can use it for a show/program or even to see, on what album the song xy is/was available. So it would be great to have my LMS always with me (of course I could do an Excel-export but updating it and browsing an excel-sheet with 725k rows via smartphone and using filters isn't that comfortable).

OK, THANKS ! that's probably a good idea. I had in mind it wasn't recommended for huge databases to user MYSQL and it wasn't supported anymore. Could You give me a hint where I can find the option to change from Sqlite to Mysql (I remember there was an option about 2 or 3 years ago but I can't find it anymore...)

Ah, got why your doing it.

There was a thread on this April 2018 in the Logitech Media Server Forum where I stated how I did this. Works for me though I think it fair to say that Michael was a bit dubious about it. Disclaimer, I am not an expert.

If you do a google search like site:forums.slimdevices.com MYSQL you should get a load of MYSQL stuff from these forums.

Regards

JerryS

Comment

• atrocity
                    • Mar 2008

Well, the answer is simple: I am working in the music biz, have a 725k database/archive and I am very often abroad so I use my LMS-database when I have to find out if I have song xy by artist yz in my database
                    I use the VPN method drmatt suggested for this situation. I have OrangeSqueeze on my phone for home use but if I'm away I start up the VP, which lets OrangeSqueeze connect just as it would from home.

Being able to query my library remotely has definitely prevented me on multiple occasions from buying something I already own!

Comment

• frank1969
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by atrocity
                      I use the VPN method drmatt suggested for this situation. I have OrangeSqueeze on my phone for home use but if I'm away I start up the VP, which lets OrangeSqueeze connect just as it would from home.

Being able to query my library remotely has definitely prevented me on multiple occasions from buying something I already own!
                      Thanks for Your reply, but this means, You have Your server at home "always running"? I don't prefer this, if I'm not at home myself, server is "offline" for security reasons...

Comment

• atrocity
                        • Mar 2008

Thanks for Your reply, but this means, You have Your server at home "always running"? I don't prefer this, if I'm not at home myself, server is "offline" for security reasons...
                        Yes, my server has to always be running in order for this to work.

Comment

Working...