Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

WebUI: Custom browse menu with umlaut not accessible (but it is with Material)

When I click on this menu I get an error message:

Code:
    404 Not Found: player=xxx[/B]
    I think it worked at some point. With the Material skin, I can access this menu, iPeng also has no problems.
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Still a thing with the latest nightly build. I had a look at the links in Home / My Music.

A comparison between the audiobook and the classical music link shows that not all necessary info makes it to the link:

Code:
    http://192.168.x.x:9001/Default/player=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    http://192.168.x.x:9001/Default/plugins/CustomBrowse/custombrowse_list.html?hierarchy=group_Klassik&mainBrowseMenu=1&player=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Manually adding it opens the menu:

Code:
    http://192.168.x.x:9001/Default/plugins/CustomBrowse/custombrowse_list.html?hierarchy=group_H÷rbŘcher&mainBrowseMenu=1&player=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

I thought CustomBrowse and MultiLibrary used utf-8 allowing for special characters like umlauts. Anyway I stopped using CustomBrowse and MultiLibrary (since they're no longer maintained and all) and created my own plugin. It basically achieves what those two used to do for me: define libraries and create menus based on them. And it kind of works too.

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    I thought CustomBrowse and MultiLibrary used utf-8 allowing for special characters like umlauts. Anyway I stopped using CustomBrowse and MultiLibrary (since they're no longer maintained and all) and created my own plugin. It basically achieves what those two used to do for me: define libraries and create menus based on them. And it kind of works too.
    Sounds interesting. Does it work with custom tags? And what does "kind of works" mean in this context?

Kind of means that there's still a quirk in the menu creation part I need to work out. But that's only related to compilation albums showing up on the second menu level where they shouldn't.. So nothing serious.
    As for custom tags... I don't use custom tags (with my classical or jazz music) or custom scan.
    If you provide more details on what kind of libraries and menus (based on them) you want I could make an educated guess as to whether it's possible or not.

Kind of means that there's still a quirk in the menu creation part I need to work out. But that's only related to compilation albums showing up on the second menu level where they shouldn't.. So nothing serious.
    As for custom tags... I don't use custom tags (with my classical or jazz music) or custom scan.
    If you provide more details on what kind of libraries and menus (based on them) you want I could make an educated guess as to whether it's possible or not.
    Right now, I have these menus within my classical menu:

Albums: COMPOSER / ALBUM (doesn't limit the tracks to the chosen composer if there's more than one composer on that disc.)
    Genre: GENRE / COMPOSER / WORK / RECORDING
    Artists: ARTIST / ALBUM
    Composer: COMPOSER / WORK / RECORDING
    Operas by Name: WORK / COMPOSER / RECORDING (limited to genre=operas)
    Occasion: OCCASION / COMPOSER / WORK / RECORDING

In other words, I use WORK, RECORDING, and OCCASION as custom tags. While I guess I could live without the OCCASION tag, the other two, WORK and RECORDING, are a must. I never ever again want to navigate through my collection without them. That's why I promote them to be natively supported.

Native support for more tags, related to classical music or not, would be nice, agreed. But my guess is that it won't probably happen anytime soon. It appears it would take quite a lot of work and testing to set it up with all the changes to the database and creating the corresponding browse modes. Your way of browsing classical music sounds interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is RECORDING in your case: a string or an integer value (year)? And occasion?

So anyway, if you need some standard (natively supported) browse menus (artists, albums, genres, years, composer...) for some genre or virtual library (like the umlaut audiobook menu you asked for), I guess I could be of assistance. But where you're relying heavily on custom tags, CustomScan and CustomBrowse are still your best option.

Native support for more tags, related to classical music or not, would be nice, agreed. But my guess is that it won't probably happen anytime soon. It appears it would take quite a lot of work and testing to set it up with all the changes to the database and creating the corresponding browse modes.
    I don't know much about programming. In my simple world, the basic structures for menus already are there, as you have proven. All that's missing is that LMS scans for these tags and makes them available. But again, that's my simple world.

Your way of browsing classical music sounds interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is RECORDING in your case: a string or an integer value (year)? And occasion?
    I found it on slimdevices wiki IIRC, and changed it to my needs. RECORDING is a hybrid to easily distinguish the recordings I have of a work, a concerto, for example. For a solo concert it looks like this:

HÚlŔne Grimaud / Masur / New York Philharmonic (1999, live)
    (ARTIST / CONDUCTOR [last name only] / BAND (RECYEAR))

Artist only is not suffient. I have four different Karajan recordings of Beethoven's 9th. And I guess there's more of them.

I build an action in mp3tag to do that automatically. As I relied on Squeezeplay heavily before discovering SLX, I needed to shorten the information in this tag a bit, as the information would have been cut off and I'd would have wait for it to scroll. That's why operas are tagged like "Basso, Gottwald, Gauvin (2011)" (the first three singers mentioned). Maybe I'll change that at some point.

I introduced OCCASION for the Bach cantatas. For example "Schwingt freudig euch empor, BWV 36" has "Advent;Advent I" as OCCASION. Now if it's advent and I want to listen to whatever music is associated with Advent, I can easily browse there. It's fun.

So anyway, if you need some standard (natively supported) browse menus (artists, albums, genres, years, composer...) for some genre or virtual library (like the umlaut audiobook menu you asked for), I guess I could be of assistance. But where you're relying heavily on custom tags, CustomScan and CustomBrowse are still your best option.
    Thank you. The problem with these customs is that they are very slow sometimes (for example, loading the Genre menu sometimes takes 30s or more. Then again, sometimes it's instantaneous.) I wasn't able to discern a pattern. Maybe it's a caching thing and the 3GB are maxed out.

The audiobook menu also relies on custom tags. But while writing this I found the solution to an annoying problem regarding my audiobooks (iPeng's jumplist is not working as the audiobooks' ALBUM start with the same letter. I'll use EPISODE as a sort tag. ). So, thank you again. (But then it'll start with 0 or 1. Dammit. )
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2019-07-12 at 05:23.