Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Any documentation on how the board is controlled?
    There is some info here...

https://docs.khadas.com/toneboard/UserManual.html

... not sure if it helps, sorry. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    No pointers just try at your own risk

First you need the latest firmware for the toneboard.

Then, just make the settings in LMS:....

...And be careful out there, people!

Many thanks ronnie @Man in a van. Tonight will be my first chance to try it. I have it running through an integrated amp for testing so will keep its volume low initially!

Two questions (sorry!)...

1. Is the setting ""Volume Control: Volume controls adjust outputs" the key setting that tells LMS to control the DAC hardware volume (i.e. not to do it in software)?
    2. With your setup, does the volume "slider" in the top-right of the LMS web page control hardware volume?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
    Many thanks ronnie @Man in a van. Tonight will be my first chance to try it. I have it running through an integrated amp for testing so will keep its volume low initially!

Two questions (sorry!)...

1. Is the setting ""Volume Control: Volume controls adjust outputs" the key setting that tells LMS to control the DAC hardware volume (i.e. not to do it in software)?
    2. With your setup, does the volume "slider" in the top-right of the LMS web page control hardware volume?

Thanks

1:- I really have no idea, I guess it's software as it's just adusting the Alsamixer settings.

2:- Yes, I also tried it on Squeeze Ctrl on an Android phone.

From the LMS settings page

Volume Control
    You can fix the volume control at 100% if you are using the volume control on your amplifier to control loudness or need perfect digital passthrough. This affects both digital and analog volume.
    From what I could make out from the very confusing Khadas forum, they first preposed that people soldered wires to the underside of the board.

Now they say the issue is fixed with the latest firmware update (just the "hump" to go ).

Do you want to use it straight into a power amp or active speakers?

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; Today at 07:36.

I don't see in the manual anywhere talking about hardware volume..... If the hardware volume control is an Alsa mixer, then the correct way to do it is to use the squeezelite -V <mixer name>
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

1:- I really have no idea, I guess it's software as it's just adusting the Alsamixer settings.
    Me neither! All I understand is that the volume output of the ESS9038Q2M* can be controlled by the XMOS on the Khadas board (or alternatively by this widget). This discussion on the Khadas forum (which I guess is the one you've seen) does seem to say ESS9038Q2M output volume can be directed through alsa... alas that is for Volumio.

*(which I read somewhere is so good that there is no need to have volume at 100% for "perfect digital passthrough").

Do you want to use it straight into a power amp or active speakers?

It will end up feeding a PrimaLuna Prologue Two valve amp which has no remote. An alternative route I am considering is to drive its volume knob with a remote motor and rubber band! I like the Rube Goldberg nature if this but it might be hard to make it look good! (Hmm... now I'm wondering if I can control the input selection knob with a stepper motor... STOP IT ME!)

I don't see in the manual anywhere talking about hardware volume.....
    All I can see is:

No8 [XMOS 8 Channel extend]: 8 Channel Ext FPC Connectors Pin-Out (J3)
    13 VOLUME

... which means very little to me

If the hardware volume control is an Alsa mixer, then the correct way to do it is to use the squeezelite -V <mixer name>
    Might <mixer name> be "USB Mixer" or "Khadas Tone Control"? (I got those from looking at @Man in a van's earlier post #520).

I dont think you want anything to do with soldering wires on the board like you see in that forum thread. From what I gathered from the forum posting you needed to update the firmware in your board to do hardware volume via xmos. Did you do that?

I think this subject might deserve its own thread, as it's a bit off topic for this thread.

I dont think you want anything to do with soldering wires on the board like you see in that forum thread. From what I gathered from the forum posting you needed to update the firmware in your board to do hardware volume via xmos. Did you do that?

I think this subject might deserve its own thread, as it's a bit off topic for this thread.
    Agreed, I would preer to avoid soldering.

Pretty sure I have the latest firmware (1.04).

Is there a way to move the thread?

Unfortunately I put a small axe in my thumb this evening (attempting to open a coconut ) so tinkering is off the cards for a few days... d'oh!

Ouch.....no, just start a new thread when your ready.....start with a summary.