Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 609
  1. #581
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Normally boot issues are power supply related. pCP kernel boots in performance mode, so if your power supply is weak, that could do it, Otherwise, there is something wrong with that SD card,
    I forgot to thank you for your help (used a different SD card and it booted right up). New to the Rpi, and probably posted my problem in the wrong place.

    My 3 plus with an Allo Boss Dac is up and running with LMS and Squeezelite, which is replacing my Windows 10 LMS and SB touch. For the time being I'm controlling it using the LMS Web Control on my old Amazon Fire tablet.

    Again, thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    Mike

  2. #582
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    325
    Please excuse me if this is not the thread for this issue.

    I recently mounted an external drive to my piCoreplayer using these excellent instructions. The drive had previously been mounted to my Netgear router and recently I decided to move it over to the pi due to issues with the router (I guess) causing the pi having problems finding the mount.

    I loaded Samba. Clicked on Write Permissions

    I successfully did a full rescan with the (powered) drive connected to the pi. I used a different share name from the name used when it was connected to the router. In order to get my playlists to find the files due to the new share name, I had to do a global edit change on the files in the playlist directory.
    I have done this successfully before when it was mounted to the router using Finder and or a terminal session to the /Volumes directory on the MacBook.

    I connected to the pi (Go->connect to server>smb://192.168.1.206/ShoreLMS

    I opened a terminal session on the MacBook pro to its /Volumes/ShoreLMS/Playlists directory and issued the appropriate sed common to do the change.

    I received an error that I didn’t have permissions, so tried again with sudo. This time I get the error
    Can't do inplace edit on Christmas Cache 01 2019 2 hr 15 min.m3u: Cannot make temp name: Read-only file system.
    for each file.

    So I naturally tried to edit permissions with chmod, and sudo chmod. Still get the read-only error.
    I sshed into the pi itself using user tc, and received the same results for each step.
    The owner for the files in the directory

    The Directory:
    drwxr-xr-x 1 502 80 42 Dec 1 14:48 Playlists/

    Should the owner be ’tc’ instead of ’502’? I had clicked “Set Write Permissions” - which directories does it process?


    Example file:
    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 4096 Dec 1 20:20 ._Christmas Cache 28 2019 2 hr 15 min.m3u

    Mount:
    tc@LRpiCore:/mnt$ ls -al
    total 1
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 140 Dec 31 1969 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 17 1000 1000 360 Dec 31 1969 ../
    drwxrwxr-x 1 root 80 30 Oct 28 21:44 ShoreLMS/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk0p1/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Aug 11 2018 mmcblk0p2/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 31 1969 sda1/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 31 1969 sda2/

    Also, Finder would not allow me to copy files into the directory now that the drive is connected to the pi, when I previously had no issues when it was mounted to the Router. Any help here would be appreciated, is this a user/permission thing, or do I have to do some kind of disc repair. An internet search alludes to a ‘fsck’ command, but I’m not familiar with it and don’t want to do damage to the disk drive (I have 3 copies, 2 pf which are offsite, but that is besides the point!)
    thanks - Donald

  3. #583
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Yes the ownership of all of the files should be "tc" The "set write permissions button should take care of any USB mounted drive. But some file systems are a bit temperamental.

    What is the format of the usb drive? Please post a screenshot like this.

    Name:  2019-12-03_22-02.png
Views: 178
Size:  28.0 KB
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  4. #584
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Yes the ownership of all of the files should be "tc" The "set write permissions button should take care of any USB mounted drive. But some file systems are a bit temperamental.

    What is the format of the usb drive? Please post a screenshot like this.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.48.26 PM.png
Views: 179
Size:  63.4 KB

    Format is hfsplus - formatted on a macMini. Hmmm, do I have to load ex-Fat?
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2019-12-03 at 22:08.

  5. #585
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Wunstorf, Germany
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    do I have to load ex-Fat?
    No, Ex-FAT is for Windows. You have to load "util-linux.tcz" from the webmenu for GPT partioned disks (the Mac drives are normally partionioned in GPT format), that's all.
    You can find a question from me inside this thread where I already asked this. :-)

    Here is the answer: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943364

    I am using piCorePlayer with a SSD attached vio USB to the Pi that is in hfsplus format. This is mounted read only as it is not touched by LMS.
    This is hfsplus as I am synchronising it directly with my iTunes music folder on my Mac.
    Last edited by carsten_h; 2019-12-03 at 22:35.

  6. #586
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    No, Ex-FAT is for Windows. You have to load "util-linux.tcz" from the webmenu for GPT partioned disks (the Mac drives are normally partionioned in GPT format), that's all.
    You can find a question from me inside this thread where I already asked this. :-)

    Here is the answer: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943364

    I am using piCorePlayer with a SSD attached vio USB to the Pi that is in hfsplus format. This is mounted read only as it is not touched by LMS.
    This is hfsplus as I am synchronising it directly with my iTunes music folder on my Mac.
    Ah, thanks for that, but it looks like it is already installed.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.50.04 AM.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  27.1 KB

  7. #587
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Wunstorf, Germany
    Posts
    63
    A hfsplus drive is mounted read-only on the Pi if you are not doing something else (described in my linked message).
    So you can not write to it, although you maybe have write permissons!

  8. #588
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    A hfsplus drive is mounted read-only on the Pi if you are not doing something else (described in my linked message).
    So you can not write to it, although you maybe have write permissons!
    Thanks for that - I read your post and other replies. I issued the command:
    sudo mount -o rw,force,remount /dev/sda2 /mnt/hfs
    - I still cannot write to that drive.
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2019-12-04 at 07:21.

  9. #589
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Once you have remouted the drive, then you will need to fix the permissions. I don't have a mac, so I really cannot test very well.

    If you want to write to the device while mounted to the pCP system, I would not use an hfs formatted drive. If you really don't want to reformat it, then I would just attach the drive to your MAC to update it.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  10. #590
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Once you have remouted the drive, then you will need to fix the permissions. I don't have a mac, so I really cannot test very well.

    If you want to write to the device while mounted to the pCP system, I would not use an hfs formatted drive. If you really don't want to reformat it, then I would just attach the drive to your MAC to update it.
    Thanks for the reply. That was going to be the next approach. Connect it to my Macbook, do a repair disc maybe and then see if I can modify the permissions. If not, I will reformat the drive and copy the data over from a backup. I'll be on the road for a week, so I'll check it out when I get back home.


    What is the preferred format? Perhaps I'll get another drive, format it and then copy over.
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2019-12-04 at 20:11.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •