Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks a lot. Best community. :-)

One final question ... when not using the Touch's internal DAC, but decode to PCM and then using TOSLINK to feed an external DAC ... shouldn't it then be possible for the Touch to "pretend" to the LMS to be able to cope with 24bit/192KHz and decode to PCM even if the DAC chip cannot cope with it?

Quote Originally Posted by sbellon View Post
    One final question ... when not using the Touch's internal DAC, but decode to PCM and then using TOSLINK to feed an external DAC ... shouldn't it then be possible for the Touch to "pretend" to the LMS to be able to cope with 24bit/192KHz and decode to PCM even if the DAC chip cannot cope with it?
    I presume that's exactly what EDO does (never tried it, so that's just an educated(?) guess)

Ok, I must read the thread then. I got the impression that it's for connecting DACs via USB and therefore requires a modified kernel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    I presume that's exactly what EDO does (never tried it, so that's just an educated(?) guess)
    Yes, EDO allows a touch to send 24/192 streams to a DAC. Be aware, however, that for some DACs the optical input wonĺt transport 24/192. Iĺve seen some DACs that deal with 24/192 via SPDIF and USB but not toslink.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by sbellon View Post
    Ok, I must read the thread then. I got the impression that it's for connecting DACs via USB and therefore requires a modified kernel, etc.
    Its for that too. But also will allow 24/192 SPDIF and toslink streams.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I would have expected that if not going the USB route, it would be easier as no limiting hardware on the Touch is in the way and no addition drivers or USB classes are required (therefore the modified kernel). But on the other hand, perhaps it would be easier to just get a regular Touch pretend to cope with 24/192 when doing TOSLINK, but when EDO already exists ... why bother.