Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

John Darko talks about Squeezebox / LMS in 2019

Anyone else seen this?

https://darko.audio/2019/06/freshly-squeezed-streaming/

I'm a fan of Darko's website but I think he's a little harsh in this article, particularly about the UI. Quote "LMS’ web interface, accessible from ANY device running a web browser, has a face only a mother could love." The web-UI photo is not a good example IMHO.

Anyway, sounds like a 7/10 pass for us "budget-conscious audiophiles"!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...
    Server = iMac -> Bootcamp -> W10 (dBpoweramp ripping / MediaMonkey management)
    Router = Huawei B310 LTE 4G + repeaters
    Lounge = SBT -> Devialet D200 -> Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
    Covered terrace = SBT -> AudioEngine A5+
    Study = SBT -> NAD D3020 -> Epos K1
    Kitchen + bedroom = SB Radio
    Garage = SB2 -> Rotel RA820BX2 -> MA252
    Storage = SB Boom + SB3 + SlimP3
    iOS control = iPeng / SqueezePad; Android = SqueezeCommander;

Quote Originally Posted by GRC View Post
    Anyone else seen this?

https://darko.audio/2019/06/freshly-squeezed-streaming/

I'm a fan of Darko's website but I think he's a little harsh in this article, particularly about the UI. Quote "LMS’ web interface, accessible from ANY device running a web browser, has a face only a mother could love." The web-UI photo is not a good example IMHO.

Anyway, sounds like a 7/10 pass for us "budget-conscious audiophiles"!
    Someone should point him at Material
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    In fact I just have
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Indeed. Too bad he doesn't allow public reader comments. The information above his contact form is not encouraging; it seems likely he will never go back in and fix an article.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    Indeed. Too bad he doesn't allow public reader comments. The information above his contact form is not encouraging; it seems likely he will never go back in and fix an article.
    He has also missed off 2 other essential plugins - MAI and RP.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

He has also missed off 2 other essential plugins - MAI and RP.
    I don't know about MAI and RP, so I'm curious ... what are these plug-ins about?

Cheers,
    Claus

Quote Originally Posted by cfuttrup View Post
    I don't know about MAI and RP, so I'm curious ... what are these plug-ins about?

Cheers,
    Claus
    MAI is Music & Artist Information - adds Lyrics, Artist Biography, Album Review etc and Material really makes great use of it

RP is Radio Paradise. A US FLAC Radio Station that has no ads only an occasional voice announcement. It’s Rock based but is very esoteric and includes Jazz and Classical. It’s curated by a human (Bill) not an auto DJ. Highly recommended.

Both plugins are by Michael Herger who is defacto the head of LMS.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Both plugins are by Michael Herger who is defacto the head of LMS.
    He's the one that "sends the boys round"

ronnie

It's only the web UI he doesn't like

To be fair, I think it's only the web UI that the article is criticising, not the various IOS / Android apps, several of which he calls out as good. And he rates some combinations better than Roon which can't be bad.

Personally, I think the web UI is fine - easy to use and intuitive (well at least for an old fart like me). I have the left pane maximised with large artwork and a sort order of artist - year - album (where appropriate). I have no artwork showing in the right pane - just the play list. Just click on a track in either pane for all the extra info you might need. There's extra skins if you're obsessive about appearance. What's not to like?

The only real thing I'd like (mentioned in an earlier thread started by me) is the ability to include "pointers" to non-local music (e.g. Spotify or Tidal albums) in the library so that LMS effectively integrates local music and streaming services like Roon. But Michael Herger has already said that this would be a significant chunk of work which, frankly, is unlikely to happen. And I haven't found a work around yet apart from putting the Spotty pointer in a Favorites folder in LMS as a quick way of reminding me about the albums and accessing them.

The rest of Darko's article is relatively complimentary, even though I don't know if a souped-up Raspberry Pi sounds significantly better into a decent DAC than the stock SBT digital out. Darko says "An audio HAT – like those offered by ALLO, HifiBerry, JustBoom – will see our Pi-Squeeze comfortably surpass the Squeezebox Touch on sound quality (with analogue OR digital)." Let me stress - I haven't heard a Pi+HAT so have no evidence either way.

Anyway, I think it's nice to see good old SBT and LMS getting some new and relatively favourable press here in 2019.

Cheers
    Last edited by GRC; 2019-06-07 at 03:35.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...
    Server = iMac -> Bootcamp -> W10 (dBpoweramp ripping / MediaMonkey management)
    Router = Huawei B310 LTE 4G + repeaters
    Lounge = SBT -> Devialet D200 -> Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
    Covered terrace = SBT -> AudioEngine A5+
    Study = SBT -> NAD D3020 -> Epos K1
    Kitchen + bedroom = SB Radio
    Garage = SB2 -> Rotel RA820BX2 -> MA252
    Storage = SB Boom + SB3 + SlimP3
    iOS control = iPeng / SqueezePad; Android = SqueezeCommander;

Quote Originally Posted by GRC View Post
    To be fair, I think it's only the web UI that the article is criticising, not the various IOS / Android apps, several of which he calls out as good. And he rates some combinations better than Roon which can't be bad.

Personally, I think the web UI is fine - easy to use and intuitive (well at least for an old fart like me). I have the left pane maximised with large artwork and a sort order of artist - year - album (where appropriate). I have no artwork showing in the right pane - just the play list. Just click on a track in either pane for all the extra info you might need. There's extra skins if you're obsessive about appearance. What's not to like?

The only real thing I'd like (mentioned in an earlier thread started by me) is the ability to include "pointers" to non-local music (e.g. Spotify or Tidal albums) in the library so that LMS effectively integrates local music and streaming services like Roon. But Michael Herger has already said that this would be a significant chunk of work which, frankly, is unlikely to happen. And I haven't found a work around yet apart from putting the Spotty pointer in a Favorites folder in LMS as a quick way of reminding me about the albums and accessing them.

The rest of Darko's article is relatively complementary, even though I don't know if a souped-up Raspberry Pi sounds significantly better into a decent DAC than the stock SBT digital out. Darko says "An audio HAT – like those offered by ALLO, HifiBerry, JustBoom – will see our Pi-Squeeze comfortably surpass the Squeezebox Touch on sound quality (with analogue OR digital)." Let me stress - I haven't heard a Pi+HAT so have no evidence either way.

Anyway, I think it's nice to see good old SBT and LMS getting some new and relatively favourable press here in 2019.

Cheers
    I agree with all of that but have you tried the Material skin plugin?
    Dining Room -> SB Boom