Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skipping a hires (96-24) song to a regular (44-16) chops off beginning of 2nd track

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected to a RME ADI2 (and another one connected to a Audiolab M-DAC in my bed room). Both are streaming from a QNAP TS-251+ NAS with LMS 7.9.1 (both Squeezeboxes have the latest version and the Digital Output add on). Everything is working perfectly, but I was wondering if there's some sort of fix for this luxury problem: when I decide somewhere midway in a hires song to skip to a different song in a lores, the beginning of the 2nd is sometimes chopped off by one second. I can imagine there's some rebuffering going on in either the Squeezebox or DAC because of the switch. When I stop the 1st song first, there is no problem. And when I decide to add the second song on-the-fly to the playlist, it plays well too, just like gapless and all other kinds of regular playing. Is there a way to let the Squeezebox automatically stop the song that's playing first? Or add some (rebuffering?) delay somewhere? No big problem, just curious.

Are your two touch players synced when this happens? If so, what happens if you unsync then try this.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

No, they're not synced. Crossfade turned off for both devices, max volume.

Some DACs are sensitive to an abrupt change in file type (e.g., 24/96 to 16/44.1). You might test this by temporarily connecting one of your TOUCH players directly, bypassing DAC and see if the problem disappears.

p.s. I do not have this issue with a TOUCH connected to Benchmark DAC I. But it is connected via SPDIF and I donĺt use the EDO applet.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Well, maybe that's a good thing to try. I don't use USB anymore (only SPDIF and Toslink) and don't have 192 hires in my collection. So maybe using it without EDO applet is better.

Tried it, doesn't make a difference.

But I understand that the 'startup time for audio' parameter in LMS for this Squeezebox doesn't affect this?

To be clear, you still get the problem with no DAC connected (just analog out (RCA cables) from one of the Touch players to your stereo)?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    To be clear, you still get the problem with no DAC connected (just analog out (RCA cables) from one of the Touch players to your stereo)?
    Sorry, I didn't try that. I only tried the digital outputs without EDO. I really love my RME ADI2, so using the analog outputs of the Squeezebox would be a big step back. Maybe it's good to test (and maybe I'll do that tomorrow), but like I said...luxury problem. If I pay attention (or just don't mind the little gap sometimes), there's no real problem. There are so many things that can be configured in LMS and the Squeezebox, that I hoped there was some setting somewhere.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Trojka View Post
    Sorry, I didn't try that. I only tried the digital outputs without EDO. I really love my RME ADI2, so using the analog outputs of the Squeezebox would be a big step back. Maybe it's good to test (and maybe I'll do that tomorrow), but like I said...luxury problem. If I pay attention (or just don't mind the little gap sometimes), there's no real problem. There are so many things that can be configured in LMS and the Squeezebox, that I hoped there was some setting somewhere.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Yes, not suggesting this as a permanent solution. More of just a test of whether it is the DAC/Touch interaction, or happens with only the TOUCH. There may be a setting as you suggest, but I'm not aware of it.

Tested it, and indeed, it's the DAC responding to the new bitrate. On the analog output it plays well.