Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Have you tried simply powering it up and checking to see if it still works?
    It probably will - perhaps might need IP address change if you used a static one that is now in a different range or is already used by one of your other devices.
    I powered it up tonight.
    I was able to connect to the Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5 - 1416570306 @ Thu Nov 27 07:38:09 CUT 2014 via port 9000.
    Eventually i figured I could download the WHS connect software via port 55000 and install on Windows 10. I now have a WHS Console for what that's worth. Via the setting there I can see it's a Atom D510 processor as @Manul said, it's 1.66 GHz.

Update from below: Tranquil confirmed that the processor is a 64 bit processor. They said I should be able to upgrade the 2.5" drive to an SSD and a bootable device will work plugged into the USB socket.
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-24 at 03:16.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    I powered it up tonight.
    I was able to connect to the Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5 - 1416570306 @ Thu Nov 27 07:38:09 CUT 2014 via port 9000.
    That is good news - at least you know that the machine and LMS still work.
    Did you try connecting a player to it and then Deezer (etc).

7.7.5 may well be too old for some of what is available to LMS nowadays but it may well have enough for what you want.
    I'd leave it running and start playing music and if it works then move it down one in the priority list.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Choice is one thing but how do you run Raspbian (Raspberry Pi ARM processor) on an Shuttle (Intel x86 processor ?) ?

Jeff

EDIT: Sorry Ronnie just realised !
    That's OK Jeff

It's nice weather for the naughty step......off you go

Tranquil confirmed that the processor is a 64 bit processor. They said I should be able to upgrade the 2.5" drive to an SSD and a bootable device will work plugged into the USB socket.

Looking at SSD drives, I see Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive. Hopefully this would be straighforward to fit.

After that it's a project, I think:

• Create a usb debian server bootable install, so many suggestions online I can't see the woods from the trees, maybe use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    • Install LMS debian package - have not looked into Squeezelite suggested by @man_in_a_van but it sounds like an alternative
    • Figure out how to access LMS over debian server to configure
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-24 at 03:34.

Tranquil confirmed that the processor is a 64 bit processor. They said I should be able to upgrade the 2.5" drive to an SSD and a bootable device plugged into the USB socket.
    Excellent !

I know that Centos 7 will run on a D510 just in case you decide to go that way.

I would reccommend a minimal install whichever distro you choose as the Tranquil will probably be quite light on RAM

The SSD option would be a good idea as you have a relatively small collection and a 250GB SSD is fairly cheap
    I would suggest you use the HDD to start with to make sure everything works OK before spending on a SSD

Good Luck

Jeff

EDIT: You'll probably want this one https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...64-netinst.iso "amd64" means x86-64 Netinst is a mininmal version
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2019-05-24 at 03:38.
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Excellent !

I know that Centos 7 will run on a D510 just in case you decide to go that way.

I would reccommend a minimal install whichever distro you choose as the Tranquil will probably be quite light on RAM

The SSD option would be a good idea as you have a relatively small collection and a 250GB SSD is fairly cheap
    I would suggest you use the HDD to start with to make sure everything works OK before spending on a SSD

Good Luck

Jeff
    Thanks! tbh, I have no way of deciding whether to use Centos 7 or any other distribution. I will take advice from here about what's easiest and best for a squeezebox server.

What's the point getting the current HDD working if I will blow away the installation with a SSD install? I reckon 500GB might be a good comprimise, not break the bank but future proof me some, that said I would like cheaper than I am finding for the Samsung MZ-76E500B.
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-24 at 03:42.

What's the point getting the current HDD working if I will blow away the installation with a SSD install?
    If you buy an SSD and then find you cannot install something due to a hardware conflict etc you havent wasted the money buying the SSD

Jeff
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups

If you buy an SSD and then find you cannot install something due to a hardware conflict etc you havent wasted the money buying the SSD

Jeff
    Ok,I think you are suggesting installing Linux on the HDD first? I missed that.
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-24 at 03:59.

Ok,I think you are suggesting installing Linux on the HDD first? I missed that.
    Personally I would get the system up and running on the HDD, if all goes well this would take less than an hour I would guess

Once all is working order the SSD and repeat with the SSD taking the place of the HDD

On the subject of distro's I use both debian and Centos theres not much to choose between them but I know Centos a little better

Jeff

I'll try tonight, 1 hour, yikes!!

How would you suggest creating a centos 7 bootable USB stick? Then I connect a monitor to the T7 and keyboard to the T7 and follow on screen instructions?