Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manul View Post
    Headless as in you don't own a monitor or headless as in you don't want a monitor connected to it in daily use? If you have a monitor, I'd second @Jeff07971's recommendation of Debian: I have experienced it as a rock solid distribution and installation is quite straight forward – if you can temporarily connect a monitor that is, completely headless installation of Debian is IMHO a nightmare and far more complicated than it should be. Unfortunately I don't know which, if any, other distribution makes that easier.
    I have a monitor to connect to it to for setup if needed but when in use I will not have one connected to it. At the moment I am asuming 32 bit but need to access it to confirm. Regardless of the distributiuon I need to find out how to install it, I guess I need to get the relevant iso onto the WHS file system?

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    I have a monitor to connect to it to for setup if needed but when in use I will not have one connected to it. At the moment I am asuming 32 bit but need to access it to confirm. Regardless of the distributiuon I need to find out how to install it, I guess I need to get the relevant iso onto the WHS file system?
    On 32 bit.
    Check that Spotty will run on it first.
    It would be a pain to build the whole thing only to find that one of your key requirements is a no no.
    I say this because I know that Spotty won't run on Vortexbox 2.3 which is 32bit but I don't know if that is VB only or other 32bit distros.

Edit. Perhaps Spotify isn't a key requirement. I read your original post yesterday and didn't re-read it again.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2019-05-23 at 03:10.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    On 32 bit.
    Check that Spotty will run on it first.
    It would be a pain to build the whole thing only to find that one of your key requirements is a no no.
    I say this because I know that Spotty won't run on Vortexbox 2.3 which is 32bit but I don't know if that is VB only or other 32bit distros.

Edit. Perhaps Spotify isn't a key requirement. I read your original post yesterday and didn't re-read it again.
    Thanks for the heads up! I am a Deezer man. It used to work wihout an extra plugin before.I assume there is a Spooty equivalent plugin for it now...does anyone know?

Thanks for the heads up! I am a Deezer man. It used to work wihout an extra plugin before.I assume there is a Spooty equivalent plugin for it now...does anyone know?
    Deezer is still as it was

Returning to the existing T7 does it have a cd/dvd? If so download iso and burn to dvd then boot with it in the tray. Or burn iso to USB and boot from that.
    It will wipe the existing disk including your music. Have you got a backup?
    If the T7 currently only has one disk Iĺd suggest removing it as is and upgrading to an SSD. If it has 2 disks in Raid 1 then make sure you take a backup first. You may not be able to recover the data from a disk that has been raided.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Deezer is still as it was

Returning to the existing T7 does it have a cd/dvd? If so download iso and burn to dvd then boot with it in the tray. Or burn iso to USB and boot from that.
    It will wipe the existing disk including your music. Have you got a backup?
    If the T7 currently only has one disk I’d suggest removing it as is and upgrading to an SSD. If it has 2 disks in Raid 1 then make sure you take a backup first. You may not be able to recover the data from a disk that has been raided.
    Your support is much appreciated. Great to know Deezer out of box is still supported. I have the music stored on external drives actually, not the T7 - I never got around to utilising it. Upgrading to an SSD sounds smart if I can do it afforadbly!

The internal storage of the T7 is 500GB SATA (Optional 4x USB HDD ports, here's the 7 spec https://pasteboard.co/Ig17NQb.png), no DVD/CD. I'm unsure about fitting a SSD in the HDD place...

According to my web search the T7 has an Atom D510 processor which according to Intel is 64 bit (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de...-1-66-ghz.html).

If the T7 boots from USB, that would probably be the easiest way.

Fitting an SSD inside the HD slot shouldn't be an issue. I don't know whether SSDs still come with an adapter frame for this purpose by default nowadays but even if they don't these should be available separately.

4 years ago I packed up my Tranquil pc T7 which ran WHS and which I used for a Squeezebox server for an original squeezebox and a boom. I loved it for accessing the BBC, Deezer and Soma radio. But we were moving house...and the kit is still boxed up now!

Maybe The T7 would be fine.... but what can people recommend for a cheap and reliable Sqeezebox server?
    As Tranquil don't offer any support for this model

https://tranquilpc.kayako.com/article/2-product-support

I would suggest running this

https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/

It's what I use on an old Shuttle.

Installing LMS is simple and so also is Squeezelite. You can aslo put Shairport-sync and an independent Spotify-Connect on it if you wish.

You trial everthing by using Etcher to burn the image to a usb stick and run it from the usb (use persistance and the setup will be saved).

If you find it acceptable, run the install and do a freash configuration.

regards

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    That's Debian with a Desktop environment. I don't quite see why you'd choose that over plain Debian for a headless server.

Quote Originally Posted by Manul View Post
    That's Debian with a Desktop environment. I don't quite see why you'd choose that over plain Debian for a headless server.
    Choice make us all different

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Choice make us all different

ronnie
    Choice is one thing but how do you run Raspbian (Raspberry Pi ARM processor) on an Shuttle (Intel x86 processor ?) ?

Jeff

EDIT: Sorry Ronnie just realised !
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2019-05-23 at 12:48.
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS