Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Returning squeezeboxer looking for server advice

4 years ago I packed up my Tranquil pc T7 which ran WHS and which I used for a Squeezebox server for an original squeezebox and a boom. I loved it for accessing the BBC, Deezer and Soma radio. But we were moving house...and the kit is still boxed up now!

_But_ we now have finally completed the (smart) wiring in our house and I am looking to get my squeezeboxes going again! I am well aware of Squeezebox being terminated a long time ago but delighted that the community is ongoing! I am assuming (and praying) I will be able to access Deezer, Soma and 6music!

Probably no one is using WHS! It's old! Current fanless solutions are sweet but expensive, e.g. https://tranquilpcshop.co.uk/rugged-intel-core-mini-pc/

Maybe The T7 would be fine.... but what can people recommend for a cheap and reliable Sqeezebox server?
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-22 at 09:13.

Will you just be accessing online services or do you plan to serve your own music collection through the server as well? If the latter, what size of collection are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    4 years ago I packed up my Tranquil pc T7 which ran WHS and which I used for a Squeezebox server for an original squeezebox and a boom. I loved it for accessing the BBC, Deezer and Soma radio. But we were moving house...and the kit is still boxed up now!

_But_ we now have finally completed the (smart) wiring in our house and I am looking to get my squeezeboxes going again! I am well aware of Squeezebox being terminated a long time ago but delighted that the community is ongoing! I am assuming (and praying) I will be able to access Deezer, Soma and 6music!

Probably no one is using WHS! It's old! Current fanless solutions are sweet but expensive, e.g. https://tranquilpcshop.co.uk/rugged-intel-core-mini-pc/

Maybe The T7 would be fine.... but what can people recommend for a cheap and reliable Sqeezebox server?
    Take a look at a Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer coupled with either a portable usb disk or a nas
    See in Linux/Unix for full info, you dont need any Linux skills
    Not sure about Soma but everything else is still available
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I would think the Tranquil T7 would still be OK
    WHS probably (definitely) not but could be replaced with Linux of some flavour if you have or are willing to learn some linux skills

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    I would think the Tranquil T7 would still be OK
    WHS probably (definitely) not but could be replaced with Linux of some flavour if you have or are willing to learn some linux skills

Jeff
    Great idea thanks, I had not considered that! I do have a little Linux. I'll do some digging on the forums and see if anyone has installed Linux on them. I built a machine and installed an early Ubuntu on it in the naughties or was it mandrake, I guess the flavour is down to personal pref.

I believe the terminology is a headless server. Any tips on how I can install Ubuntu server on it?
    Last edited by boardtc; 2019-05-22 at 13:12.

I believe the terminology is a headless server.
    Yes that is correct, you'd have to identify the processor etc in the Tranquil as some were 32bit only and some Linux distros now (Including my favourite Centos) are 64 bit

As long as you can find a decent distro I think it will make a good LMS server

Jeff

Edit: I think Debian would be a good bet, stable has a lms version and not bleeding edge etc and has a 32 bit version
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Manul View Post
    Will you just be accessing online services or do you plan to serve your own music collection through the server as well? If the latter, what size of collection are we talking about?
    I have < 100GB.

Have you tried simply powering it up and checking to see if it still works?
    It probably will - perhaps might need IP address change if you used a static one that is now in a different range or is already used by one of your other devices.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    I believe the terminology is a headless server. Any tips on how I can install Ubuntu server on it?
    Headless as in you don't own a monitor or headless as in you don't want a monitor connected to it in daily use? If you have a monitor, I'd second @Jeff07971's recommendation of Debian: I have experienced it as a rock solid distribution and installation is quite straight forward ľ if you can temporarily connect a monitor that is, completely headless installation of Debian is IMHO a nightmare and far more complicated than it should be. Unfortunately I don't know which, if any, other distribution makes that easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Have you tried simply powering it up and checking to see if it still works?
    It probably will - perhaps might need IP address change if you used a static one that is now in a different range or is already used by one of your other devices.
    Just found a 12V power supply for it late last night. I need to research how to access it, forget all that...