Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPhone music playback app - any recommendations?

Having recently developed a method a to maintain a compressed copy of my music library, I now realise that there's enough space on my iPhone to carry a good chunk, if not all, of this library around with me. So I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable player. I have some specific requirements, which I suspect are common to others in this forum.
    1) It must be able to handle OGG files.
    2) It must understand whole album+cue combinations
    3) It must allow me to transfer a full folder structure over to the phone
    4) Ideally it will also use my 'folder.jpg' album art files in each sub-folder

I've looked at a few of the free offerings, and I've spotted some common features:
    - Many offer a web server approach to uploading files to the phone, but the simple interface only allows files to be transferred to a single folder. I've not found a way to move an entire folder structure.
    - Some seem to recognise my cue files, but don't handle them well - e.g. they list the individual tracks defined by the cue file, but in alphabetical order rather than the defined order, or they attempt to get the tags from the whole-album OGG file.

I'm sure there'll be a good paid-for app that handles these issues better, and I'm quite happy to pay for a good app, but I don't want to pay for ALL of them in my searches, hence the plea for recommendations.

Having been a fan of Foobar under Windows, for its OGG/FLAC/CUE handling, I was pleased to see that it exists for the iPhone. But unless I'm mistaken it doesn't seem to handle cue files (yet).

So can anyone point me towards a suitable app?

iPhone music playback app - any recommendations?

Check out VOX - it is free. But I am not sure about the cue files (never used them).

Rainer

> On 16 May 2019, at 08:44, chill <chill.904min (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Having recently developed a method a to 'maintain a compressed copy of
    > my music library'
    > (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...y-music-folder),
    > I now realise that there's enough space on my iPhone to carry a good
    > chunk, if not all, of this library around with me. So I'm looking for
    > recommendations for a suitable player. I have some specific
    > requirements, which I suspect are common to others in this forum.
    > 1) It must be able to handle OGG files.
    > 2) It must understand whole album+cue combinations
    > 3) It must allow me to transfer a full folder structure over to the
    > phone
    > 4) Ideally it will also use my 'folder.jpg' album art files in each
    > sub-folder
    >
    > I've looked at a few of the free offerings, and I've spotted some common
    > features:
    > - Many offer a web server approach to uploading files to the phone, but
    > the simple interface only allows files to be transferred to a single
    > folder. I've not found a way to move an entire folder structure.
    > - Some seem to recognise my cue files, but don't handle them well - e.g.
    > they list the individual tracks defined by the cue file, but in
    > alphabetical order rather than the defined order, or they attempt to get
    > the tags from the whole-album OGG file.
    >
    > I'm sure there'll be a good paid-for app that handles these issues
    > better, and I'm quite happy to pay for a good app, but I don't want to
    > pay for ALL of them in my searches, hence the plea for recommendations.
    >
    >
    > Having been a fan of Foobar under Windows, for its OGG/FLAC/CUE
    > handling, I was pleased to see that it exists for the iPhone. But
    > unless I'm mistaken it doesn't seem to handle cue files (yet).
    >
    > So can anyone point me towards a suitable app?
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > chill's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10839
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=110569
    >
    >

Foobar2000 - plays almost anything - incorporates an FTP server to upload music to your iPhone or can use something called TuneFUSION on a PC to upload music.

Foobar2000 is free.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Foobar2000 - plays almost anything - incorporates an FTP server to upload music to your iPhone or can use something called TuneFUSION on a PC to upload music.

Foobar2000 is free.
    No mention of .cue support at http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/sh...for-iOS-readme
    Does it have it?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    No mention of .cue support at http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/sh...for-iOS-readme
    Does it have it?
    I thought it did but perhaps not
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Thanks

Yeah, Foobar2000 looks good, but doesn't appear to support cue files. I'd prefer not to have to split my OGG files, but it's an option. Currently I simply convert my whole album FLACs to whole album OGGs, and edit the cue file to match the new file extension, but if splitting the FLAC is the best way I may go down that route.

VOX came up in my searches, but I'm afraid I'm struggling to get content into it! I'm not interested in their cloud storage option, or their Spotify options - all I want is locally stored music, and it only seems to offer to import my iTunes media library. I don't have an iTunes media library. Their help page for importing music is giving me an 'Oops!' error.

I read elsewhere that JetAudio supports reading .cue on Android. Maybe the iOS version has matching feature.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I read elsewhere that JetAudio supports reading .cue on Android. Maybe the iOS version has matching feature.
    It looked promising until I got down to the end of the description:
    (*) FLAC, OGG, MPC, TTA, WV, APE, OPUS formats are supported in FolderBrowser mode only.
    But I've found an app that appears to satisfy all of my original requirements. Neutron Music Player. Not free, but it seemed to tick all the boxes in the description, so I took a chance. I can upload files via FTP, with a complete folder tree. It has no problem with my OGG+CUE combinations, and recognises all my tags in the cue files. Tracks are listed in the order given in the cue files. And it even likes my folder.jpg cover art.

In addition it offers things I wasn't really concerned about, but which could be useful, such as various DSP effects, including an equalisation function with options for presets. The interface will take a bit to get used to I think, but it seems like a good investment so far. I've only loaded a few folders onto it for now, so will load up a larger selection to see how it copes with a bigger library.

I transferred my entire music library to my phone - I didn't realise I had so much space! That's a result of finally giving up on iTunes when I first got this phone - there's been no music on it all since then, and I've relied on Spotify.

I'm really liking Neutron Music Player. It scanned everything into its database in much the same way that LMS does. The library statistics are slightly different from what LMS reports, so I guess there are some differences in the handling of tags.

It is highly configurable - in some cases it's almost as though it's been inspired by LMS. Here's the screen for defining which options show up in the media library:

There are so many options that I've barely scratched the surface so far, but as a convenient way to carry my library around with me, without having to bend over backwards to adapt my library structure to suit, it seems ideal.

Now that my entire library, albeit in compressed form, is on the phone, it'll make its way to iCloud, probably over several nights, so that'll be yet another backup

Would you happen to know if the Neutron app uses the Artistsort tag to sort artists by surname? That is the only thing that keeps me using the iOS music app instead of Foobar or one of the others out there. I'm a bit anal, but Bruce Springsteen should be found under "s" and not under "b"!!!

Thanks,

Pat