Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Administrator Privileges

Hi
    I am running Logitech Media Server Version 7.9.2/r1555406898.
    On previous versions, I have been able to run it as administrator and the red warning disappeared from the top of the Logitech Media Server control panel, but this version does not seem to allow a right click "run as administrator" from the start menu.
    I am running Windows 10 64 bit, auto updated by Microsoft.
    Is this a known issue or does the red warning stay put, in this version, whether its in administrator mode or not?
    The version is working as expected in all other respects.
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sachadog View Post
    Hi
    I am running Logitech Media Server Version 7.9.2/r1555406898.
    On previous versions, I have been able to run it as administrator and the red warning disappeared from the top of the Logitech Media Server control panel, but this version does not seem to allow a right click "run as administrator" from the start menu.
    I am running Windows 10 64 bit, auto updated by Microsoft.
    Is this a known issue or does the red warning stay put, in this version, whether its in administrator mode or not?
    The version is working as expected in all other respects.
    Many thanks
    I don't run LMS on Windows as a rule but I have installed it a few times for testing.
    IIRC this is to do with Windows 10 Elevated Privileges.
    When you first install the software you need to run the installer as Administrator i.e. download the installer, then right click and do Run as Administrator. If you don't do this the installer runs with the logged on user and even though they may be an Administrator in W10 terms they aren't THE administrator.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Remember that as of W7 the real administrator is disabled by default. So to be really able to run an installer as admin you have to enabke the admin and use that account.
    If you think you are admin and get an uac box then you're not.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Administrator Privileges

Thank you both for your replies.
    I had assumed I had set up my computer, with me being the administrator. It hasn't been used for a few months though.
    I hadn't encountered this problem with LMS before, but now there is no way I can get it to run with me as the administrator. Yes it's working fine, does what I want but it won't allow me to make the changes I want.
    As it isn't on the computer I am typing this reply on, I will have to double check the settings.
    The computer I use, a very small, Acer, is solely used for LMS and my music library. It runs Windows 10 64 bit. I might try installing LMS on this computer, where I know I have full administrator settings and see what happens.
    Thank you once again
    Dave M.

Administrator Privileges

Hello,

I have two computers I have sole use of. My desktop computer was made by a company specifically for me; the other is a small footprint computer, made for general use.
    As the sole user on both, I am the administrator on both. I have the sole accounts on both. Microsoft has locked them in, unless I give someone else an account, whereby I can change the account to standard if I wished.

Both computers run Windows 10 Home 64 bit. My desktop computer had LMS installed on it and I had full administrative control (no red warnings) and I had to use the right mouse click, to run as adminstrator, otherwise it would not run at all.

I then decided to use the small computer to run my music library, connected to a stand alone USB drive, containing my music files. This gave me a lower power consumption and although the computer is only a couple of years old, it is very slow, but more than capable of running LMS; it's only function.

I re-installed LMS on my main desktop computer. It installed perfectly, carried out an auto scan of my backup music files and I have full administartor privileges, as before. It will only run, using the right mouse click.

The small footprint computer shows me as administrator. This is locked by Microsoft, unless someone else is given an account, as above.
    I have updated LMS to the latest version, but it still shows I don't have administrator privileges, but both computers have the install of LMS in exactly the same way.

So I am somewhat stuck, as to how I can get the administrator privileges I should have.

Any advice would be welcome.

Dave M.

Are both computers running the same version of Windows, e.g. version 1809? (see Settings->System->Info, scroll down a bit)
    Are both computers have the same setting for the UAC level? (type UAC in the search field, click the entry for user account control.) Default is the 2nd highest level, which is fine.

When you're installing Windows (10) the user account you are specifying during installation will be part of the administrators group. (see Settings->Accounts where "Administrator" should be mentioned below your account name). Although you're an administrator, this doesn't mean you have all the rights to modify things. Instead, dependent on the UAC settings, Windows asks for confirmation if an operation needs administrative privileges. For example, if you are installing a program Windows usually detects automatically that this needs admin rights and prompts you for confirmation. That is, typically you don't need to right-click on the setup program to run it with admin rights from the beginning. Windows will ask for it.

When installing LMS (or later using the LMS Control Panel) you can choose the startup option for LMS. Typically you will want to use "Automatically run at system start", which means that you don't need to login to start LMS but simply start the computer. But to set this startup mode, the LMS Control Panel needs admin rights. Nowadays there's a menu entry in LMS' tray icon to start the control panel with admin rights. Alternatively look for the LMS Control Panel entry in Start menu, right-click it and select more->Run as Administrator. Then the red warning message should not appear.

Administrator Privileges

Hi

Thank you for your response and advice.

Both of the computers are running the same version of W10. Both are set to automatic updates.
    Yesterday, I cleared the computer cache on both machines, deleted LMS on both machines, again cleared as much as I could. I double checked using CCleaner registry cleaner. I then installed the latest version of LMS nightly on both computers and they both worked in administrator mode.

Today I have tried both computers and I am back to square one on both, without administrator privileges, no matter if I start normally or with the right mouse click. Neither LMS start working on computer boot-up. I have to manually start the program on both computers. I had previously deleted LMS on my desktop computer, so I could only use the smaller computer solely for music streaming. I re-installed LMS on my desktop as a double check to see if one computer was working in a different manner.
    I am not a computer geek, so I know my limitations when I "look around" with various computer settings. As far as I can tell, both computers are running in the same manner, with the same settings etc. I will once again try and see where its going wrong. I have to accept this could be pilot error on my part, but I haven't altered any settings that should have caused this, or stopped LMS from automatically starting on computer boot-up.

Dave M.

Administrator Privileges

I have re-installed LMS on my desktop as a trial and also the smaller computer. The Administrator master setting is at level 2, as you intimated, on both.
    Everything went fine with the installs. Once installed I closed down both of the computers and re-booted them. I tried to open LMS as an administrator using the right click on the mouse, but it didn't work, on both computers.

I went to the "hidden" icon on the task bar and used the command setting of "open as an administrator" and that worked.
    Therefore, for some reason, the right mouse click, just does not work on my computer(s).
    Also, when LMS is started, the Control Panel is not fully opened, so it only shows part of the information. Mine stops at "Total Albums". If I can get the control panel opened as an administartor, without the red warnings, then I get the full control panel information. This is the same on both computers.

To be honest I hadn't noticed this for a few months, as my music system has not been fully operational. It's only since I have updated LMS to the latest nightly versions, that this has become apparent.

I don't know why the right mouse click does not work, but at least by using the "hidden icon" I can set LMS to do what I require.

Thanks for all your input and I hope this helps others, if they are having similar problems.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sachadog View Post
    I have re-installed LMS on my desktop as a trial and also the smaller computer. The Administrator master setting is at level 2, as you intimated, on both.
    Everything went fine with the installs. Once installed I closed down both of the computers and re-booted them. I tried to open LMS as an administrator using the right click on the mouse, but it didn't work, on both computers.

I went to the "hidden" icon on the task bar and used the command setting of "open as an administrator" and that worked.
    Therefore, for some reason, the right mouse click, just does not work on my computer(s).
    Also, when LMS is started, the Control Panel is not fully opened, so it only shows part of the information. Mine stops at "Total Albums". If I can get the control panel opened as an administartor, without the red warnings, then I get the full control panel information. This is the same on both computers.

To be honest I hadn't noticed this for a few months, as my music system has not been fully operational. It's only since I have updated LMS to the latest nightly versions, that this has become apparent.

I don't know why the right mouse click does not work, but at least by using the "hidden icon" I can set LMS to do what I require.

Thanks for all your input and I hope this helps others, if they are having similar problems.

Dave M.
    What do mean by "hidden icon" ?
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi3B+/pCP 4.1.0 25K library playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 4.1.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 4.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 4.1.0 > Edifier R980T
    Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Administrator Privileges

On the task bar, bottom right of the screen, there is an "up" arrow, sitting next to the internet connection, on my computer. Hovering a mouse pointer over that "up" arrow brings up a dialogue box called "show hidden icons". Clicking the arrow brings up the "hidden short-cuts, or 'icons', as described by W10". I used the same terminology as the computer. When I use that short-cut for LMS in that dialogue box, I can start LMS in administrator mode.