Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skiroe View Post
    thanks again for such good pertinent info. I am sending Denon back anyway as it is limited considering the cost. Does not even have digital out to use my own DAC.. Goes to show you though--Denon support didn't want to be bothered. Could of told me that URL could be loaded. Yes,, I need to read up more on it.. Gets a bit brain squeezing. Just missed a Duet on Ebay.. sold for 55.. Was watching in last 45 seconds and reluctant to pull the trigger. Just gets a bit overwhelming to have to set up a totally unfamiliar system with so much else going on around here .. Moving away from what has now become my home town after I leave.. losing what made it a good place to live.. Aside from the massive population density.. not to mention traffic. Oh well, 70's are long gone. Not to mention the 60's . :roll eyes:

BPA , would you like to elaborate on real hardware player,, ,, SB server based?
    Stop.
    Do nothing.
    Buy nothing.
    Learn more of the issues and figure out what sort of setup'll you'll be comfortable setting up & maintaining.

Your skill/knowledge level in this area seems to be minimal and I think will either need a simple device or a lot of handholding/education as indicated by your problem with Denon:
    (i) you were not able to articulate your need/problems to Denon support sufficient for them to understand. You want a simple solution and didn't persist adding custom URL.
    (ii) you don't understand URLs and the necessity to find relevant URLs for your needs - KFJC unlike many station were published on station website.
    (iii) you weren't able to find a relevant article on line which solves your problem once you found those URLs.
    (iv) you didn't pass any remark about running a local LMS or testing on a PC - it seems buy a ready made box was your preferred solution.

I am not trying to be harsh - just trying to point out that most of today's solutions will not meet your immediate needs and you will becomes increasingly frustrated.

As an example, the Duet cannot play the KFJC AAC stream without a local LMS - so if you had bought it you would been unhappy as it won't play your desired station - and Logitech support for SB is non existent - this is a community based & supported system. So with the Duet you would have ended up with a two box solution and the need to setup a LMS, probably buy an app for a phone/tablet and then add a custom URL.

My advice.
    1. At this point in time, Squeezebox system will not meet your need as I think it maybe too complex if all you want is a replacement for a FM-Tuner (I.e. single box connected to DAC/amp, network in, twist knob to play any station, make a selection, display and digital out)
    2. If you have an Android phone/table look for a Chromecast audio (discontinued, use digital cable to connect) and use phone/tablet to play audio via Tune-in, browser or whatever app.
    3. Grace Tuner should work but is discontinued and AFIACT no community support to extend and you'll still need to add a custom URL.

There are many users on this forums, lots of them were beginners many who have travelled this same path so with more knowledge of your setup, you home networking capability, your needs - their experience and advice will be shared.

That said, my belief to get the best solution for your needs, spend some time learning about the basics of network streams, URLs, formats. If you have PC, play around with these streams in the PC / Browser (e.g try out LMS/Squeezebox on Windows 10 install LMS and Squeezelite-X player) .

Although your immediate need is a FM Tuner replacement - a proper network streaming solution can provide better facilities such as metadata (realtime track info), Artwork/images , "Listen on Demand", Podcasts but you'll need to learn more about the streaming world.

I second bpa's advice above. And if you do end up buying an actual squeezebox player, the DUET is the *not* the one I would recommend. You might note from my signature that I have lots of different squeezeboxes. I used to have a duet, but I gave it away. It would be the most confusing to setup and use for a new user. If I was recommending a player, I would be pushing the Squeezebox TOUCH. But again, you need to learn a bit more before jumping in.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I second bpa's advice above. And if you do end up buying an actual squeezebox player, the DUET is the *not* the one I would recommend. You might note from my signature that I have lots of different squeezeboxes. I used to have a duet, but I gave it away. It would be the most confusing to setup and use for a new user. If I was recommending a player, I would be pushing the Squeezebox TOUCH. But again, you need to learn a bit more before jumping in.
    +1 everything here, but I sold my Duet.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

checked out the tune in --requires pay for app in order to connect by URL ..
    Interesting as Denon comes with tune in app but a cut rate version.

I take no offense BPA ,, appreciate the analysis and you are right on. Very little knowledge of what it would take.. Although I did try and make it clear to Denon exactly what I was trying to do. Unless Im mistaken it does appear one needs to buy the tune in app in order to have the ability to search by URL. actually the link posted above took me where I needed to go. Initially I thought that the HEOS app would have that function but taking a better look led me to get the tune in app only to find out free for 7 days only. I will likely get a one box solution. Best for now. Too much stuff to attend to here and not having fun doing it. house ownership overrated far as Im concerned. Then again I am 75 yrs old and bought my first house. Something for a much younger man in body.. Got the youth in my mind set but alas body is wearing out.
    Last edited by skiroe; 2019-05-06 at 11:45.

checked out the tune in --requires pay for app in order to connect by URL ..
    Interesting as Denon comes with tune in app but a cut rate version.
    I may be wrong but AFAICT from rreading the Denon DNP-800NE manual - you do not need to add a URL using Tune-in. You add the custom URL via your HEOS account and HEOS app.

edit

Look at this link
    https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...ng-url-to-heos

edit 2:

I check my Android Tune-in app and I was able to add a custom url with standard account. No fee or premium.
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-05-06 at 13:20.

thats exactly what I tried. It seems to say you can use your HEOS,, but paying closer attention it says need tune in app to be able to add station by URL. downloaded tune in app from Apple store and free for 7 days and then 10 a month. Someone had complained in a review of the app that was not easy to cancel service. Have to go into apple account in order to cancel a pay for app. I figured it out and cancelled right away.

I don't know what that's about your free tune in app.. Checked to refresh memory. Tune in is the app being used by Denon but don't see a way to access it and referring back to what I said above --need to pay for app in order to enter URL.

Also, looking in manual again under internet radio ---indicates that AAC format available -- Kfjc uses the AAC 192 Ill get back to this later. Have to finish painting for the day.

I just had a look at the Tunein website and it looks like they offer free and paid premium accounts (more sports, no ads). Are you sure the app is not trying to talk you into signing up for premium and purposely obscuring the free option? AFAICT you should also be able to sign up for a free account on their website and set up your favorites there, so even if the app is pay-only that might be a way to get your station into your Denon yet. Good luck! And congratulation on the new house!

thats exactly what I tried. It seems to say you can use your HEOS,, but paying closer attention it says need tune in app to be able to add station by URL. downloaded tune in app from Apple store and free for 7 days and then 10 a month. Someone had complained in a review of the app that was not easy to cancel service. Have to go into apple account in order to cancel a pay for app. I figured it out and cancelled right away.

I don't know what that's about your free tune in app.. Checked to refresh memory. Tune in is the app being used by Denon but don't see a way to access it and referring back to what I said above --need to pay for app in order to enter URL.

Also, looking in manual again under internet radio ---indicates that AAC format available -- Kfjc uses the AAC 192 Ill get back to this later. Have to finish painting for the day.
    Nowadays users have private streams. The ability to play a custom stream is considered to be a normal feature - it would be commercial suicide for a network streamer not to have or charge extra for this "feature".

This is not the right place for you to find out info on Tune-in, HEOS and Denon streamers - I'm sure there are better places.

Looking at how Tune-in and LMS works and hoping that Denon/HEOS follow a similar pattern. It is clumsy - the Tune-in App is used to manage Tune-in menu items that appear under the Tune-in menu in the HEOS app as long as the same Tune-in account is used..

1. Run Tune-in app on your phone. Make sure you login with the Tune-in account - this is a normal account not premium.
    2. Search for a station (not kfjc), play a stream on the phone and save it as a Favorite to make sure you have a Favorite on your Tune-in account.
    3. Go into Tune-in App Favorites menu and check you see the stream you just added.
    4. In the Favorites menu - it shows the Favorites folders. Drag screen up to show the "add Custom URL" button - it is normally hidden
    5. Add the kfjc 192 URL - make sure you know into which Favorites folder it has been saved
    6. Go to Tune-in App home screen - and then go back into Favorites and check the 2 (step 2 and custom) are in Favorites

7. Leave Tune-In App.
    8. Open Heos App - and go into the Tunein menu of Heos App.
    9. Check Favorites under Tune-in
    10. If both Favorites are not there - then check your are using same account for Tune-in on the HEOS app and the Tune-In APP in step 1.

edit:

The official site describing above
    https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...o-the-heos-app

edit 2:

Further to an earlier point
    I am sending Denon back anyway as it is limited considering the cost. Does not even have digital out to use my own DAC.
    DNP-800NE has an optical digital out - are you sure you have a DNP-800NE otherwise we are talking about different products.
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-05-07 at 00:35.