Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=J

Did some of you did some experiments with 256 Go USB sticks ?

Not as fast, but may be sufficient for the music stream ?

And are there some size limitations to USB sticks possible to read on the RPi ?

JM[/QUOTE]

I'm using a configuration that I wouldn't recommend - I have LMS and my library all on the same 200GB MicroSD; it's probably a good idea to have them separated. However, I haven't had any problems and it's a very compact solution -rPi with power and Ethernet cords as the only external connections.
    Issue with using USB or MicroSD is going to be slower performance on indexing your library than SSD - if your library has a lot of turn over then it may be an issue. If you can get by just running "Look for new and changed media files" occasionally then it's only an issue on the initial indexing.

There won't be any speed issues streaming music from USB or MicroSD - just make sure you use USB 2.0+ (Not sure you can find a USB 1.x 256GB thumb drive.

Size limitations would be driven by the Linux distribution underlaying your LMS. I'm running Max2Play, not certain of official supported limits, however, 200GB MicroSD seems to be fine - have been running for 2 years.
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHart View Post
    I'm using a configuration that I wouldn't recommend - I have LMS and my library all on the same 200GB MicroSD; it's probably a good idea to have them separated. However, I haven't had any problems and it's a very compact solution -rPi with power and Ethernet cords as the only external connections.
    Issue with using USB or MicroSD is going to be slower performance on indexing your library than SSD - if your library has a lot of turn over then it may be an issue. If you can get by just running "Look for new and changed media files" occasionally then it's only an issue on the initial indexing.

There won't be any speed issues streaming music from USB or MicroSD - just make sure you use USB 2.0+ (Not sure you can find a USB 1.x 256GB thumb drive.

Size limitations would be driven by the Linux distribution underlaying your LMS. I'm running Max2Play, not certain of official supported limits, however, 200GB MicroSD seems to be fine - have been running for 2 years.
    Thanks for the feedback. It is a cost effective option for my use case.

JMF