Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    I'm going to add something which is going to contribute nothing to anything except antagonism and confusion.

While the pi was out of order I was using a Squeezebox classic, digital optical output going into an external DAC. I'm now back to the pi with a hifiberry, optical output into the same dac and speakers and amp. And you know what? . . .

. . . I think the berry sounds better! Maybe it's just the relief of having it working again which has put me in a positive frame of mind about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mandryka View Post
    Yes I was just about to post here and say that I'd done that and it is now working as well as before. Thanks for all your input, everyone.

Two questions.

1. Are some SD cards less reliable than others? I wonder if mine failed because I have a bad quality card.

2. This relates to this post

Kidstypike's box looks rather nice -- and hopefully it's easier to put together than the horrible one I have. What is it?

I have no green light on mine, by the way.
    Sorry, I was probably wrong, the pro version appears not to have a green LED. Googling produced this:

Name:  noLED.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  31.0 KB

I've no idea where that case came from, it's years old, I added some extension posts to make room for the Digi+ HAT. It's actually hanging on 2 screws (slots in case base) in a cupboard out of sight.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b1 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I'm going to add something which is going to contribute nothing to anything except antagonism and confusion.

While the pi was out of order I was using a Squeezebox classic, digital optical output going into an external DAC. I'm now back to the pi with a hifiberry, optical output into the same dac and speakers and amp. And you know what? . . .

. . . I think the berry sounds better! Maybe it's just the relief of having it working again which has put me in a positive frame of mind about it.
    The Classic isn't the most transparent of players.
    It doesn't surprise me at all that the Pi build sounds better.
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The Classic isn't the most transparent of players.
    It doesn't surprise me at all that the Pi build sounds better.
    Does the Classic compress before it streams?

I haven’t tried to compare both in a more rigorous way than my initial impression that I reported yesterday, sometime soon I’ll try to reassess more carefully.
    Last edited by mandryka; 2019-09-08 at 10:38.

Does the Classic compress before it streams?

I havenít tried to compare both in a more rigorous way than my initial impression that I reported yesterday, sometime soon Iíll try to reassess more carefully.
    No it doesnít compress. It just has a an older DAC but I think itís perfectly capable unless you are playing really high res stuff.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    No it doesnít compress. It just has a an older DAC but I think itís perfectly capable unless you are playing really high res stuff.
    OP is using digital optical to an external DAC - so Classic will just send uncompressed/decoded data on the optical connection. No DAC will be involev. LMS will downsample (& probably convert to Flac) any stream higher than 48kHz.

Using an optical connection and an External DAC there should be no difference between a Pi and Classic unless bitrates are higher than 48kHz.

1. Are some SD cards less reliable than others? I wonder if mine failed because I have a bad quality card.
    I've had at least two of the better known brands (Samsung, SanDisk) fail on me. When I looked around for allegedly more reliable ones, I found Transcend High Endurance and have used nothing else for years now. Not a single one has failed.

Of course this is ONE person's experience and it's possible I was just unlucky with the other cards followed by getting lucky with the Transcend. But at this point the price difference is sufficiently uninteresting to make me want to stick with alleged high-endurance cards. They're often sold as being suitable for dashcams as they allegedly stand up better to repeated rewrites.

I also usually go no lower than 32GB on the assumption that extra space means fewer writes over the same sectors...but I could be laughably wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I've had at least two of the better known brands (Samsung, SanDisk) fail on me. When I looked around for allegedly more reliable ones, I found Transcend High Endurance and have used nothing else for years now. Not a single one has failed.

Of course this is ONE person's experience and it's possible I was just unlucky with the other cards followed by getting lucky with the Transcend. But at this point the price difference is sufficiently uninteresting to make me want to stick with alleged high-endurance cards. They're often sold as being suitable for dashcams as they allegedly stand up better to repeated rewrites.

I also usually go no lower than 32GB on the assumption that extra space means fewer writes over the same sectors...but I could be laughably wrong about that.
    Noted. If it fails again I will buy a Transcend High Endurance card.

Hitting snags

Hope it's okay to piggyback onto this thread. I have a Rasberry Pi3 with HiFiBerry Digi+ and a 7" LCD screen. I had PicorePlayer running and working for several years (LMS on a MacMini running Mac OS Snow Leopard, a Marantz receiver and Wharfedale speakers). The LCD monitor displayed a digital equalizer that was really cool. And since it worked so well, I didn't bothered updating the PicorePlayer software, though I knew there were newer versions available.

Flash forward. We recently moved and all my stereo equipment got packed away. Today I began the laborious task of setting everything up again. I flashed the latest greatest PicorePlayer v.5.0 to my SD disk, and booted up the RasberryPi. After doing the basic WiFi setup and rebooting the Rasberry Pi, I get to the part where PicorePlayer tries to login to WiFi, but it says "No Network Found". I'm kind of stuck.

I'm using a Canakit WiFi receiver that used to work with the older PicorePlayer software. Maybe it doesn't work with the newer version? I see no blinking lights or anything. I would appreciate any suggestions.

There are several wifi drivers that have lost support as the kernel advances. I'm not sure if the canakit is one of them. Looking at the WIFI diagnostics and the dmesg output on the main diagnostics page, might lend to some reasons as to what is going on. Since you have a RPI3, you might try the internal wifi, the RPI drivers and firmware have been improved over the recent past.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer