Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member jasell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    266

    SB3 rebooting after playing a few tracks

    Hi,
    My SB3 has started to act strange.
    Since a few days back it reboots after a playing a few songs.
    After reboot it starts up loading the the same song in a paused state.
    At one occasion I got a "static sound" just before the restart.

    This happens at all times now.
    -Sometimes a bit into the fist songs, sometimes after five songs.
    -A song that "caused" reboot can play perfectly through out the next time.

    I swapped the SB3 to one of my spare, and the spare runs nicely with the same configuration.

    I suspect the SB3 being bad in some way, overheating or voltage drop etc.
    Do anyone have an idea were to start looking?
    Is this a known issue? (like capacitors on the outgoing RCA port that I changed several years ago...)

    I'd love to fix this unit if possible...
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 7.9.2 by QLMS 2.03.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Reciever, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: iPeng on iPad and iPhone, Spotify by Spotty

  2. #2
    Senior Member jasell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by jasell View Post
    Hi,
    My SB3 has started to act strange.
    Since a few days back it reboots after a playing a few songs.
    After reboot it starts up loading the the same song in a paused state.
    At one occasion I got a "static sound" just before the restart.

    This happens at all times now.
    -Sometimes a bit into the fist songs, sometimes after five songs.
    -A song that "caused" reboot can play perfectly through out the next time.

    I swapped the SB3 to one of my spare, and the spare runs nicely with the same configuration.

    I suspect the SB3 being bad in some way, overheating or voltage drop etc.
    Do anyone have an idea were to start looking?
    Is this a known issue? (like capacitors on the outgoing RCA port that I changed several years ago...)

    I'd love to fix this unit if possible...
    I tried factory reset
    I tried Xilinx reset
    I tried playing without any outputs connected

    Same result, it keep rebooting...
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 7.9.2 by QLMS 2.03.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Reciever, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: iPeng on iPad and iPhone, Spotify by Spotty

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    380
    Two common faults that can give those symptoms are the external power supply and the WiFi board.
    Since you have a spare SB3, have you tried with the power supply from that one?
    Next would be to open the unit and remove the WiFi board and test it using ethernet cable?

    Both power supply and WiFi board should be possible to source on eBay e.g.

    If none of that helps, there are capacitors in the internal power supply that could be past it.
    There are some threads in the forums about replacing those, but start with the simple things.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jasell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    Two common faults that can give those symptoms are the external power supply and the WiFi board.
    Since you have a spare SB3, have you tried with the power supply from that one?
    Next would be to open the unit and remove the WiFi board and test it using ethernet cable?

    Both power supply and WiFi board should be possible to source on eBay e.g.

    If none of that helps, there are capacitors in the internal power supply that could be past it.
    There are some threads in the forums about replacing those, but start with the simple things.
    Hi, thanks for helping out.

    I tried now with 2 other external power supplies (both working with other SB)

    I disassembled the unit and removed the WiFi-card and now connecting thru Ethernet cable.

    The unit starts up nice and run screensaver and so as expected.
    But rather immediately when starting to play something it reboots, it takes just a few seconds now.

    Any idea what to check for next?
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 7.9.2 by QLMS 2.03.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Reciever, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: iPeng on iPad and iPhone, Spotify by Spotty

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,724
    Quote Originally Posted by jasell View Post
    Hi, thanks for helping out.

    I tried now with 2 other external power supplies (both working with other SB)

    I disassembled the unit and removed the WiFi-card and now connecting thru Ethernet cable.

    The unit starts up nice and run screensaver and so as expected.
    But rather immediately when starting to play something it reboots, it takes just a few seconds now.

    Any idea what to check for next?
    Capacitors, as usual unfortunately
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

  6. #6
    Senior Member jasell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Capacitors, as usual unfortunately
    Do you happen to know which?
    Should I check the internal power supply, do you know a guide?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 7.9.2 by QLMS 2.03.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Reciever, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: iPeng on iPad and iPhone, Spotify by Spotty

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,724
    Quote Originally Posted by jasell View Post
    Do you happen to know which?
    Should I check the internal power supply, do you know a guide?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I usually replace all of them. You can be more selective, but IMHO it does not gain you a lot of time. If you search through this forum, you'll a few post where I've put the list of references to buy.

    If you are in EU, you should contact Joe, he can fix that for you
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I usually replace all of them. You can be more selective, but IMHO it does not gain you a lot of time. If you search through this forum, you'll a few post where I've put the list of references to buy.
    Could someone with Squeezebox Wiki write access copy the info into it?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •