Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transporter issues- What do you use beside a PC with a Transporter

I have a Transporter connected to a Windows 10 PC, to access my FLAC files through Logitech Media Server. It has always been clunky, trying to get the Transporter to be recognized by Logitech Media Server. It often involved having to troubleshoot and get it to connect. Hadn't used this setup for a couple years (because it was never a smooth/easy experience) until last night. I spent 1.5 hours disabling Windows Firewall, reboot the router, reboot the PC and various other attempts. Finally, it recognized the Transporter and worked great. I tried to use it again today and the same issues. I'm tired of wasting time with this and ready to give up on the Transporter and sell it. Before I give up on it, what are some other devices I can store my FLAC files on to connect the Transporter to that will be a simple experience to use.

Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot12w View Post
    I have a Transporter connected to a Windows 10 PC, to access my FLAC files through Logitech Media Server. It has always been clunky, trying to get the Transporter to be recognized by Logitech Media Server. It often involved having to troubleshoot and get it to connect. Hadn't used this setup for a couple years (because it was never a smooth/easy experience) until last night. I spent 1.5 hours disabling Windows Firewall, reboot the router, reboot the PC and various other attempts. Finally, it recognized the Transporter and worked great. I tried to use it again today and the same issues. I'm tired of wasting time with this and ready to give up on the Transporter and sell it. Before I give up on it, what are some other devices I can store my FLAC files on to connect the Transporter to that will be a simple experience to use.
    A NAS, a Linux machine, Raspberry Pi (With piCorePlayer) Any other device that can run LMS !

I would never run LMS on a desktop OS IMHO
    I run a "Full Linux" machine and very rarely have problems but if you're not Linux literate it could be challenging
    Some NAS's run LMS well I'm sure you'll get someone replying with suggestions
    Raspberry Pi with external USB HDD will do quite well and you'll be well supported if you run piCorePlayer

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

+1
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Lms on a pi with picoreplayer and files on a 2 bay nas.
    Use the W10 box for ripping.
    If you want to ditch the transporter then I guess you just have to say it and it's gone. Please first send me a PM
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

I have a Transporter hooked to LMS 7.9 on a Windows 10 PC. I use a crossover cable straight from the Transporter to the PC. I have also in the past used a switch and a router. I run both Squeezeplay and a home-brew program called FooSQ so I can use Foobar2000 to control it. I have ZERO problems with this setup. In fact, this is the most simplistic setup you can have for your Squeezebox device...although not ideal for the common user.

This is probably not your issue but I suggest downloading a program called WPD.exe (just do a google search, it should be the first entry) and turn everything under Privacy Settings off. (Don't touch the other stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    I have a Transporter hooked to LMS 7.9 on a Windows 10 PC. I use a crossover cable straight from the Transporter to the PC. I have also in the past used a switch and a router. I run both Squeezeplay and a home-brew program called FooSQ so I can use Foobar2000 to control it. I have ZERO problems with this setup. In fact, this is the most simplistic setup you can have for your Squeezebox device...although not ideal for the common user.

This is probably not your issue but I suggest downloading a program called WPD.exe (just do a google search, it should be the first entry) and turn everything under Privacy Settings off. (Don't touch the other stuff).
    With respect that is not simplistic. You need to know a bit about networking to use a crossover cable successfully.

Running LMS on a desktop OS which constantly updates itself and “corrects” things for you without giving you any warning is a pain in the butt. There are far simpler and much more stable alternatives if you are prepared to learn a (very) small amount of Linux.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Well I know very little about networks and I just installed Windows 10 last week for the first time (previously was using 8.1) and it took me less than 10 minutes to have everything working. With a router it's even easier...there are no IP settings to have to adjust like you do with a crossover cable. Windows 10 updates can now be paused for 35 days. On 8.1 the updates never messed with my network. Can't speak for Windows 10, but I run LTSC which only has security updates.

Well I know very little about networks and I just installed Windows 10 last week for the first time (previously was using 8.1) and it took me less than 10 minutes to have everything working. With a router it's even easier...there are no IP settings to have to adjust like you do with a crossover cable. Windows 10 updates can now be paused for 35 days. On 8.1 the updates never messed with my network. Can't speak for Windows 10, but I run LTSC which only has security updates.
    Most people will never have heard of LTSC or know what it is.
    Trust me when I say that W10 updates have an annoying habit of “correcting” settings that you have deliberately set a particular way.
    I have reset the TCP Netbios properties on numerous network cards that have had the settings “corrected” by a W10 update.
    If you have never run LMS on anything other than Windows then you won’t recognise the benefits of other OS that are more suited to server software run in daemon mode.
    Have you tried running LMS on a Pi?
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

To the OP... One thing I forgot to mention is I have disabled Windows Defender because it slowed things down. I installed Free Avira which takes the place of it. Been using Free Avira for years with no issues with LMS.

If you want to try this (although i have no idea if Defender messes with LMS) here's how to disable Defender... (But make sure you have an Anti-virus with firewall installed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn5T8-9_f_o

Avira Free...

https://ninite.com/
    (Under security...don't download straight from Avira you get a whole bunch of other crap)

And once again I really suggest WPD.exe. I suggest anyone who has Windows 10 run this.

To the OP... One thing I forgot to mention is I have disabled Windows Defender because it slowed things down. I installed Free Avira which takes the place of it. Been using Free Avira for years with no issues with LMS.

If you want to try this (although i have no idea if Defender messes with LMS) here's how to disable Defender... (But make sure you have an Anti-virus with firewall installed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn5T8-9_f_o

Avira Free...

https://ninite.com/
    (Under security...don't download straight from Avira you get a whole bunch of other crap)

And once again I really suggest WPD.exe. I suggest anyone who has Windows 10 run this.
    You'll need to run WPD after nearly all Win 10 updates though becuase as d6jg says, updates turns back on "features" that WPD (and O&OShutup10) turns off
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS