Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transporter doesn't play anymore

My transporter stopped playing:
    • When I start a track from the server web interface, the track appears to be playing normally (the progress bar is moving, etc).
    • The transporter send no output to my amp. On its display, the track is shown in the "now playing" but the progress bar stays at zero, the vu indicators are fixed, and the display eventually switches to a lower brightness, as if the player were paused.
    • Back on the server web interface, when the end of the track is reached, the progress bar returns to zero as if the track was repeating.

I hope this is a firmware or software problem because I'd hate to have to track down another transformer. Any hints to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Background:
    • The transporter is in a vacation home. It was working fine in January.
    • When I arrived a few days ago, I did not use it until after I upgraded my server to Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and LMS 7.9.2 (from 16.04 & 7.9.0).
    • My other squeezeboxes all work (3 Radios, one Touch, and one old SB2)
    • When the transporter failed to work, thinking the upgrade was responsible, I connected the transporter to a separate server & network (which is located in a remote building without internet) running LMS 7.9.0 under Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Same problem.
    • At my city residence, I have an identical server that I updated to 7.9.2 with the same procedures, and my other transporter works fine there.

What I tried:
    • Looked at the LMS server logs - Nothing unusual.
    • Set most of the player logs to "Info". Nothing unusual was added to the log.
    • When I first started up LMS 7.9.2 with the transporter, a log entry said "Reading firmware version file...", and then "transporter firmware is up-to-date, v. 87"
    • I reset the transporter to factory settings (connect to ac power while pressing + on remote), and connected it to the LMS 7.9.0 server. Same problem. Nothing unusual in the log (same entry as above about the firmware)

Hardware & Firmware summary:
    • Server 1 - OS: Ubuntu Mate 18.04. LMS: 7.9.2 - 1550612824
    • Server 2 - OS: Ubuntu Mate 16.04. LMS: 7.9.0 - 1466761329
    • Transporter Firmware 87

For silent slimproto players, a Xilinx reset sometimes helps. Instead of holding the '+' button pressed during power up, hold the '1' key.

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    For silent slimproto players, a Xilinx reset sometimes helps. Instead of holding the '+' button pressed during power up, hold the '1' key.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did a reset holding the 1 key, and the transporter's display told me that the Xilinx reset took place.

Unfortunately, I still get the same results: when I play a track the transporter's display shows no progress (it stays at 00:00), and the unit acts as if it is idle. When I play the same track on a SB Radio, it plays correctly.

So it's not as if I got no sound. It's more as if the transformer is stuck at 00:00 even though the server web interface shows the track progress, until the end, when it starts over as if the track was set to repeat (which it isn't).

Looks to be the same symptoms as posted on this thread - although there may be more than one cause.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...er-Not-Playing

One thing to check is what voltage is being reported by Transporter in the WebUI Setting/Information for your Transporter. The voltage should be your line voltage.

Connect the transporter to mysqueezebox.com rather than your LMS and try to play internet radio station. If this works then it is likely something with LMS rather than transporter.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still stuck.

bpa: You are right, it is the same symptoms. I read through the thread that you pointed to, and tried a few more things.

I checked my transporter voltage on the settings>information screen, and it is always between 129 & 131...except once after turning it off it dipped to 49 and returned immediately to 130. I wonder if part of the power savings makes the voltage display differently and we never notice it because I looked at the voltage continuously (forcing a screen refresh every time) and it was always normal.

garym: The transporter will not play from any source, including mysqueezebox.com internet radio: like all other attempts, it says "now playing..." and the elapsed time displays 0:00 and stays there.

I forced the transporter to downgrade to firmware 84, and then upgrade back to 87 in case it needed to be refreshed. It made no difference.

As suggested in the other thread, I set logging of network.protocol.slimproto to INFO, and I got the same symptoms as DrJazzer: my transporter fullness goes up to fullness=3145727, and stays there without ever emptying, unlike my other players where the fullness gets emptied and returns to zero.

From now on, I will add to the other thread and join that group because we all seem to be in the same predicament.

Just curious, is it connected via wifi or ethernet? Can't this be just a network connect problem?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Just curious, is it connected via wifi or ethernet? Can't this be just a network connect problem?
    Because the slimproto network connection is working perfectly between LMS and player - but player is telling LMS using slimproto protocol don't send any more data as player can't decode it for osme reason(e.g.player firmware has detected a problem in the DAC or voltage for amp - I don't know).

How old is your Transporter? Seems like after 10+ years they are developing issues.

Have you tried unplugging it from the mains for10-20 seconds?
    This is not the same as rebooting it.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng