Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • castalla
    • Feb 2008

Is there a PuTTy verssion for linux?

I've used PuTTy on windows for years to access LMS on a pi. For example, paste (right mouse click) to run the 'sudo dpkg -i ... ' updates.

I'm now using linux mint and installed the equivalent rewrite of putty (looks identical!) BUT this doesn't have any way to paste (no keys or mouse clicks).

Any ideas (including a putty alternative which allows paste)?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Roland0
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by castalla
    I've used PuTTy on windows for years to access LMS on a pi. For example, paste (right mouse click) to run the 'sudo dpkg -i ... ' updates.

I'm now using linux mint and installed the equivalent rewrite of putty (looks identical!) BUT this doesn't have any way to paste (no keys or mouse clicks).

Any ideas (including a putty alternative which allows paste)?
    All terminals I have ever used in Linux support copy/paste (since it's actually a X11 functionality (clipboard), that's why you can e.g. copy/paste from an editor to the terminal etc.)
    Ususally: left MB=select, right MB=extend selection, middle MB=paste
    also, <shift><insert>

Does the "equivalent rewrite of putty" have a name?
    In the (unlikely) case it really doesn't support the clipboard, simply use the pre-installed GNOME terminal
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Comment

• castalla
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Roland0
      All terminals I have ever used in Linux support copy/paste (since it's actually a X11 functionality (clipboard), that's why you can e.g. copy/paste from an editor to the terminal etc.)
      Ususally: left MB=select, right MB=extend selection, middle MB=paste
      also, <shift><insert>

Does the "equivalent rewrite of putty" have a name?
      In the (unlikely) case it really doesn't support the clipboard, simply use the pre-installed GNOME terminal
      From mint software manger:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• paul-
        • Jan 2013

putty installed on ubuntu (or debian) copy and paste works fine. Highlighting text and then paste is set as the middle mouse button though.
        piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
        Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• castalla
          • Feb 2008

hmm - seems my mouse is only 2 buttons.

looks like i'm out of luck

Comment

• BosseJ
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by castalla
            hmm - seems my mouse is only 2 buttons.

looks like i'm out of luck
            All linux versions I have used have a setting for the mouse where the middle button is emulated by pressing the left and right button simultaneous. See Settings for Mouse/Trackpad (at least for Cinnamon desktop).
            2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer
            LMS 8.5.1 on Debian 12 on Intel-NUC. All wired
            Main audio system: speakers Magnepan 3.6, special built power amp, DAC & pre: NAD M51 & Vincent SA-32, streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50

Comment

• castalla
              • Feb 2008

Thanks for all the feedback = sadly, no luck for me. Mouse settings doesn't have button values for anything but speed.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                • Apr 2005

Did you try shift+ins or ctrl-shift-ins - or ctrl-shift-v - or enter or, if you have a wheel on the mouse try pushing it down like a button.
                Paul Webster
                Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• castalla
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                  Did you try shift+ins or ctrl-shift-ins - or ctrl-shift-v - or enter or, if you have a wheel on the mouse try pushing it down like a button.
                  BINGO!!!!!

ctrl-shift-insert works !!!

Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...