Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Code:
    gzip -dc /mnt/MusicBackup/images/pCPLounge.img.gz > /dev/mmcblk0
    should do the trick
    Simple as that? I had no idea that you could archive and unarchive a whole disk that way. I assumed it dealt with just files, rather than a complete file system with a partition table.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Simple as that? I had no idea that you could archive and unarchive a whole disk that way. I assumed it dealt with just files, rather than a complete file system with a partition table.
    In Unix, everything is a file
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    I have a lot to learn :-)

So if /dev/mmcblk0 is a 16GB SD card, but I'm only using 1GB for the two partitions, the 'bs' and 'count' options in dd allow me to make an image that's only 1GB. If I use gzip to to make a compressed image of /dev/mmcblk0, all the empty space after 1GB will compress down to virtually nothing, but what will happen if I try to decompress that image onto an SD card that's smaller the 16GB? Is there a way, or a need, to limit the scope of the original image using something like the 'bs' and 'count' options?

what will happen if I try to decompress that image onto an SD card that's smaller the 16GB?
    That was one reason why I decided to use a tar based approach. Perhaps not as straightforward to set up properly in the first place, or restore from. And I had little experience with dd, etc. But Iĺve only had to restore once in eight years.

hi chill,

This might be worth a try. It is based on how we used to generate pCP images a few years ago. The image only takes a few seconds to generate.

My first attempt generated from this image, resulted in a SD card appears to be working properly.

Code:
    $ fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3724 MB, 3904897024 bytes, 7626752 sectors
    119168 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device       Boot StartCHS    EndCHS        StartLBA     EndLBA    Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/mmcblk0p1    128,0,1     127,3,16          8192      73727      65536 32.0M  c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/mmcblk0p2    1023,3,16   1023,3,16        73728     483327     409600  200M 83 Linux
                                                                               ===== 
                                                                                232
    $ dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/tmp/backup.img bs=1M count=232
    I actually had 3 partitions on this SD card, and obviously partition 3 was not copied.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi chill,

This might be worth a try. It is based on how we used to generate pCP images a few years ago. The image only takes a few seconds to generate.

My first attempt generated from this image, resulted in a SD card appears to be working properly.

Code:
    $ fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3724 MB, 3904897024 bytes, 7626752 sectors
    119168 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device       Boot StartCHS    EndCHS        StartLBA     EndLBA    Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/mmcblk0p1    128,0,1     127,3,16          8192      73727      65536 32.0M  c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/mmcblk0p2    1023,3,16   1023,3,16        73728     483327     409600  200M 83 Linux
                                                                               ===== 
                                                                                232
    $ dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/tmp/backup.img bs=1M count=232
    I actually had 3 partitions on this SD card, and obviously partition 3 was not copied.

regards
    Greg
    Thanks Greg - that's the approach I went for yesterday. I scripted it so that it would work even after resizing partition 2. Here's my BackupSD.sh. It extracts the blocksize from the original SD card, so that I can add 1 block to the EndLBA of the second partition:
    Code:
    imagefile=$1
    bs=$(fdisk -l | grep -A 3 mmcblk0: | grep Units: | awk -F= {'print $2'} | awk {'print $1'})
    echo "blocksize="$bs
    count=$(fdisk -l | grep mmcblk0p2 | awk {'print $5+1'})
    echo "count="$count
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=$bs count=$count of=$imagefile
    My SD card has grown to 1GB, and this takes just under a minute to create. I do a 'pcp bu' just before calling this, to make sure any changes I've made are included in the image.

I'll need to investigate how to rsync it properly though. I ran the script for the first time overnight last night (with rsync options -rtvhiO), and it evidently only updated the target file's timetag. I think this is because the image will always be the same size, so rsync believes that the source and target files are identical apart from the timetags. I'll need to force it to update unless the contents are identical - presumably using the slower '-c' 'skip based on checksum' option.

I'll need to investigate how to rsync it properly though. I ran the script for the first time overnight last night (with rsync options -rtvhiO), and it evidently only updated the target file's timetag. I think this is because the image will always be the same size, so rsync believes that the source and target files are identical apart from the timetags. I'll need to force it to update unless the contents are identical - presumably using the slower '-c' 'skip based on checksum' option.
    Using the checksum option on two 1GB files (one local, one remote) is S L O O O W. The script runs at 3am, so I don't really care how long it takes, but since the checksum option requires the remote file to be read in its entirety by the host processor anyway, using this option to decide whether to skip the file saves no time. In fact it takes extra time because it not only has to copy the file, it also spends time calculating the checksums. I might as well just use cp instead of rsync, and copy over the current version of the image file every night.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    That was one reason why I decided to use a tar based approach. Perhaps not as straightforward to set up properly in the first place, or restore from. And I had little experience with dd, etc. But Iĺve only had to restore once in eight years.
    I've used tar occasionally, basically as a zip replacement, to bundle a selection of files. I had assumed that using such a tool, or any of the tools suggested by Roland0 earlier, to recover an SD card with more than one partition would require me to manually recreate the file system and partitions, and then recover the files into those partitions. I'm intrigued that the 'everything is a file' philosophy might mean that the file system and partition info can be included in the backup. dd is working for me, but I'm still interested in experimenting with these other tools.

I'm talking nonsense. The file was correctly updated using those rsync options. It uses file size *and* timetag to determine whether the file has changed, so each new version of the image file will be copied across, even though the file size is the same as the previous version. The -t option merely ensures that the source file's timetag is preserved in the target.