Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Some questions regarding volume/power handling

I'm currently thinking about implementing a mechanism to control an external amp's volume and possibly power from LMS. Before I start to brainstorm how to implement this, I have a couple of questions I didn't find the answer for in the source code:

• Can a player communicate its current status (volume, power state) and changes thereof to the server? If yes, how?
    • Would that have to be done actively or does LMS regularly poll players for their state?
    • Is it possible to set the perceived/displayed volume of a player in LMS without sending an actual volume change command to the player?
    • Is it possible to send a volume change command to a player without changing LMS' perceived/displayed volume for that player?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions once I have the answer to these. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I think it is possible since there is already a plugin to control a denon amp.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by Manul View Post
    I'm currently thinking about implementing a mechanism to control an external amp's volume and possibly power from LMS. Before I start to brainstorm how to implement this, I have a couple of questions I didn't find the answer for in the source code:

• Can a player communicate its current status (volume, power state) and changes thereof to the server? If yes, how?
    • Would that have to be done actively or does LMS regularly poll players for their state?
    • Is it possible to set the perceived/displayed volume of a player in LMS without sending an actual volume change command to the player?
    • Is it possible to send a volume change command to a player without changing LMS' perceived/displayed volume for that player?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions once I have the answer to these. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    1/ yes, you can use cli or jsonrpc, afaik
    2/ your plugin can register action/notification callbacks whenever LMS changes power & volume
    3/ hmmm... I think your callback would have to filter out these values and throw away the volume changes when it does not want them to be sent to the player (do not call the previous callback, declare volume change as "done" - SetStatusDone). I think the volume in the UI would still be changed but the volume command not sent to the player. To be verified, though
    4/ not sure

I think you should look at plugins like "SyncOptions"
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-04-23 at 21:41.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5