Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: DHCP Problems

DHCP Problems

I have the exact same issue with my two Controllers and three Radios, the three Booms and one Receiver and one Classic works fine.

From Factory Settings, I set up wireless networking, and the Controller/Radio is accepting the Fixed IP with a lease time of 24 hours set by DHCP.

After exact 12 hours, the Controller/Radio is making a DHCP lease and is given the same Fixed IP. However, the Controller/Radio doesn't seem to accept it and the DHCP server is throwing DHCP Problem errors to the log.

At that time, I have two options to get the Controller/Radio to work again:

1. Set a Static IP on the device, since it's not accepting the DHCP. The device says "cannot find DHCP server". If I set a Static IP same as the Fixed IP in the DHCP server, everything's working again.
    2. Unset the Fixed IP in the DHCP server so the device is assigned dynamic DHCP addresses. What happens then is that at the first lease it's given the same IP as previous lease, but it seems not to be accepted, so the DHCP gives another address which gets accepted. This gets repeated in that way that the Controller/Radio doesn't accept the same IP as last lease so the DHCP gives a new fromt the pool.

Below is a DHCP server log showing a Controller not accepting the Fixed IP lease after 12 hours after been given a Fixed IP lease for 24 hours during initial setup:

Apr 9 05:57:16 Squeezebox Controller DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 101
    Apr 9 05:56:16 Squeezebox Controller DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 101
    Apr 9 05:55:16 Squeezebox Controller DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 101
    Apr 9 05:54:07 Squeezebox Controller DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.21 more »
    Apr 8 17:54:02 Squeezebox Controller DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.21 more »

Below is a log showing a Receiver not accepting the same Fixed IP. When I noticed the DHCP Problems I remove the Fixed IP from the DHCP server which enables the Radio to be given dynamic DHCP. At first the DHCP tries the same IP (50) as last time, which is not accepted so 22 seconds later it's been given 55 which it accepts. After 12 hours IP 55 is not accepted so 22 seconds later it's been given 59 and so on. The reason it jumps 4 addresses is because another 2 Radios and 1 Controller is behaving the same "braided in the log".

Apr 7 21:05:35 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.63 more »
    Apr 7 21:05:13 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.59 more »
    Apr 7 09:05:07 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.59 more »
    Apr 7 09:04:45 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.55 more »
    Apr 6 21:04:40 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.55 more »
    Apr 6 21:04:18 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.50 more »
    Apr 6 09:04:16 Squeezebox Radio DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 101
    Apr 6 09:04:12 Squeezebox Radio DHCP lease vap: 0, vlan: 101, ip: 192.168.1.50 more »

Do you have any idea why:

1. This is only affecting Controller/Radio and not Boom/Receiver/Classic. Do you know why?
    2. Why is the Controller/Radio trying to lease after 12 hours when the DCHP is leasing for 24 hours?
    3. Why is the Controller/Radio not accepting the same IP from consecutive DHCP leases?

I would of course like to have DHCP leased Fixed IP for my Controller/Radio, but that does not just seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcuza View Post
    Apr 6 09:04:16 Squeezebox Radio DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 101
    use the native or no vlan

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    use the native or no vlan
    Why would that matter? It's nothing that the squeebox sees?

Why would that matter? It's nothing that the squeebox sees?
    because these devices are build a long time ago when vap & vlans where not standard in customer devices.

btw: a dhcp client always asks the dhcp server @ the half leasetime if the ip is still available to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    because these devices are build a long time ago when vap & vlans where not standard in customer devices.

btw: a dhcp client always asks the dhcp server @ the half leasetime if the ip is still available to use.
    Thank you for clarifying DHCP lease time. Since the Radio is WiFi connected, I cannot see how VLAN would affect. The traffic is tagged at the access point egress port.

And what is VAP?

And most important, why doesn’t the Radio accept the same IP twice?

Thank you

Thank you for clarifying DHCP lease time. Since the Radio is WiFi connected, I cannot see how VLAN would affect. The traffic is tagged at the access point egress port.

And what is VAP?

And most important, why doesn’t the Radio accept the same IP twice?

Thank you
    Vap is Virtual Access Point - take a look at your logoutput.

No most important is "describe your Network and the used devices"

btw: 24 H leasetime only makes sense in a guestnetwork where most devices are seen only once for a short time.
    144 Hours in a private Net is short enough for most home users.

Thank you Django!

Actually what I just did five days ago was to set Static IPs on the Radios/Controllers and there’s no more issues.

I used the short lease time just to catch the problems faster and get a shorter trial and error period.