Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    I just found this gem, and I already have a (stupid?) question.

If I understand correctly older versions could output Spotify's ogg stream in flac to the Squeezebox, but the most recent 2.8.x release can stream ogg 'untouched' to the Squeezebox.
    But trying to find the settings for this and navigating to 'Audio Settings', I only have three options there:

Normal (96kbps)
    High (160kbps)
    Extreme (320kbps)

I am guessing these are mp3 re-encode settings, but I can't find anything that mentions flac or 'untouched' ogg.

What am I missing in my understanding or in my setup?

Quote Originally Posted by jistme View Post
    I just found this gem, and I already have a (stupid?) question.

If I understand correctly older versions could output Spotify's ogg stream in flac to the Squeezebox, but the most recent 2.8.x release can stream ogg 'untouched' to the Squeezebox.
    But trying to find the settings for this and navigating to 'Audio Settings', I only have three options there:

Normal (96kbps)
    High (160kbps)
    Extreme (320kbps)

I am guessing these are mp3 re-encode settings, but I can't find anything that mentions flac or 'untouched' ogg.

What am I missing in my understanding or in my setup?
    Look under Settings/advanced/File Types then look for Spotty. Disable Ogg vorbis.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks slartibartfast
    But I don't understand.

In that advanced settings menu I see that flac, ogg and pcm are enabled, and mp3 is disabled for Spotty.
    That's fine for me, since I prefer that Spotify's stream is not re-encoded from ogg to mp3, and then either flac or ogg 'untouched' would seem the two likely candidates for that.

But in Spotty's audio settings there is no mention of flac or ogg, and as I said, the only options there are 96/160/320kbps.
    These look like mp3 settings, which is odd, since in the advanced settings, mp3 is not even enabled for Spotty?

Last edited by jistme; 2019-05-21 at 12:02.

Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Thanks slartibartfast
    But I don't understand.

In that advanced settings menu I see that flac, ogg and pcm are enabled, and mp3 is disabled for Spotty.
    That's fine for me, since I prefer that Spotify's stream is not re-encoded from ogg to mp3, and then either flac or ogg 'untouched' would seem the two likely candidates for that.

But in Spotty's audio settings there is no mention of flac or ogg, and as I said, the only options there are 96/160/320kbps.
    These look like mp3 settings, which is odd, since in the advanced settings, mp3 is not even enabled for Spotty?

With those settings I get Ogg Vorbis untouched. You suggested that you wanted Flac or PCM. In that case disable Ogg Vorbis and enable Flac or PCM. The 96/160/320 kbps settings in the Spotty app settings are stream quality settings, nothing to do with mp3 in this case but the stream rate of the Ogg Vorbis stream. Both Flac and PCM will require more bandwidth so if Ogg Vorbis works then why not use it?

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You suggested that you wanted Flac or PCM.
    My primary intention was not that I wanted to use flac or pcm.
    The objective was to have the unaltered sound quality just as Spotify streams it.

So I was looking for some 'untouched' or 'pass-through' setting in Spotty.
    But that is not there.

Then I thought to use flac, since that wouldn't deteriorate the sound of the original stream.
    But I couldn't find a 'use flac' selection either.

Only a choice between 96/160/320, which to me seemed like some mp3 re-encoding.
    Then I got confused (even more) since it is mentioned in the threads here that Spotify/Spotty uses ogg, but I found on Spotify's website that they use aac. (with 256 kbps as the highest quality)
    So that suggested to me some re-encoding was going on here with these 96/160/320 settings.
    (edit for posterity google-finding this specific post: a slightly confusing/incomplete Spotify info page gave me this wrong idea, it's aac for the web player only, and it's ogg for desktop and mobile)

But I think by now I understand what is going on.

- In Spotty, 96/160/320 are not actual bitrates.
    - Spotify offers three different stream qualities: Normal, High, Very High.
    - In Spotty you can select which of these streams you want to 'receive'.

So, neither of these three settings perform any re-encoding, and ogg, mp3, flac, pcm have nothing to do with this at all.
    (please correct me if I am wrong about this though)

If my assumptions here are correct, I humbly suggest that Spotty's audio quality menu gets a minor renaming that clarifies this a bit better and also uses the exact same naming as Spotify does:

Spotify streaming quality:

Normal (approx. 96kbps)
    High (approx. 160kbps)
    Very High (approx. 320kbps)

Thanks everybody for the help!
    Last edited by jistme; 2019-05-21 at 23:41.

My primary intention was not that I wanted to use flac or pcm.
    The objective was to have the unaltered sound quality just as Spotify streams it.

So I was looking for some 'untouched' or 'pass-through' setting in Spotty.
    But that is not there.

Then I thought to use flac, since that wouldn't deteriorate the sound of the original stream.
    But I couldn't find a 'use flac' selection either.

Only a choice between 96/160/320, which to me seemed like some mp3 re-encoding.
    Then I got confused (even more) since it is mentioned in the threads here that Spotify/Spotty uses ogg, but I found on Spotify's website that they use aac. (with 256 kbps as the highest quality)
    So that suggested to me some re-encoding was going on here with these 96/160/320 settings.

But I think by now I understand what is going on.

- In Spotty, 96/160/320 are not actual bitrates.
    - Spotify offers three different stream qualities: Normal, High, Very High.
    - In Spotty you can select which of these streams you want to 'receive'.

So, neither of these three settings perform any re-encoding, and ogg, mp3, flac, pcm have nothing to do with this at all.
    (please correct me if I am wrong about this though)

If my assumptions here are correct, I humbly suggest that Spotty's audio quality menu gets a minor renaming that clarifies this a bit better and also uses the exact same naming as Spotify does:

Spotify streaming quality:

Normal (approx. 96kbps)
    High (approx. 160kbps)
    Very High (approx. 320kbps)

Thanks everybody for the help!
    Ogg Vorbis is untouched as Spotify streams it.

Ogg Vorbis is untouched as Spotify streams it.
    Then why does Spotify say they are using AAC?

https://support.spotify.com/us/using...ity-streaming/

Then why does Spotify say they are using AAC?

https://support.spotify.com/us/using...ity-streaming/
    That seems to only apply to the web player. Other streams are Ogg Vorbis. I have no idea why the web page you linked to does not mention Ogg Vorbis, it just causes understandable confusion.

That seems to only apply to the web player. Other streams are Ogg Vorbis. I have no idea why the web page you linked to does not mention Ogg Vorbis, it just causes understandable confusion.
    I feel embarrassed, being pretty sure I was right and clever.
    Thanks for clearing that up ;-)