Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

[Announce] Spotty 2.8.x - SpotifyConnect for your Squeezebox

> yes, squeezelite is running on a raspberry-pi. i have not messed with
    > its settings in months.

What OS? How do you start squeezelite?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > yes, squeezelite is running on a raspberry-pi. i have not messed with
    > its settings in months.

What OS? How do you start squeezelite?

--

Michael
    raspberry-pi is running Linux 4.14.71-v7+ armv7l

squeezelite auto-starts via /etc/systemd/system/squeezelite.service if that's what you're asking.
    But the actual playback is via my android app which submits the playlist to spotify. This skipping issue is "random" in that
    sometimes it does not occur and when it does occur, the number of skipped tracks (always in the front of the list) can be 1,2,3, or 4.
    And eventually, the playback continues normally.

When I tried the LMS web interface to submit a playlist, the problem does not seem to happen.
    I've tried several times and there's no skipping of tracks.
    Unfortunately, I rarely if ever use this interface.

So, it would seem to indicate my android app and its submission which has not changed in recent months.
    I'm using Spotify Web API and send an array of URI's.
    I'm really at a loss as to how to further investigate this "moving" target of a problem...

UPDATE:
    I've ruled out the android app as the culprit since the playback has no issues when
    it's played on devices other than squeezelite; e.g., desktop spotify or Blue node.
    Also, the same playback issue is shown using OrangeSqueeze.
    Last edited by pavowren; 2019-10-15 at 11:01.

> I have a strange issue I can't get to the bottom of, when I'm playing a
    > playlist or album on Spotty sometimes it will get to the end of the
    > track and stay there and not start playing the next track.

Unfortunately this misbehaviour is not uncommon :-(. It happens every
    now and then, and I haven't gotten to the root of it.

--

Michael
    Thank you kindly for your reply, that is reassuring knowing that as I was trying all sorts of things to get to the bottom of it

Hello,

I am just using LMS together with Spotty 2.8.7. Spotify/Spotty is working good for one user, I can use Spotify connect for all of my devices which are connected in LMS. I added a second user in Spotty (Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox), but that user does not see any Spotify enabled devices in my network, so it does not work for the second user.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks and kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by jenssen View Post
    I am just using LMS together with Spotty 2.8.7. Spotify/Spotty is working good for one user, I can use Spotify connect for all of my devices which are connected in LMS. I added a second user in Spotty (Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox), but that user does not see any Spotify enabled devices in my network, so it does not work for the second user.
    Heck... this is a FAQ, but I can't find a good response of mine which I could quote :-D. Therefore I'll try to write it up now, and keep a reference to this posting around. Here we go:

A few parameters come into play when you want to be able to control a Connect enabled Spotty instance:

1. Network
    2. Spotty's announcement mode
    3. User account
    4. The Spotify app's configuration

In the simplest case your mobile device running the Spotify app would be connected to the same network where LMS was running, and Spotty would be able to announce its availability in your network. In that case any user would see the player.

Sometimes Spotty fails to announce its clients in your network. In that case the Spotify app would only see the players Spotify's servers know about. This is limited to the players configured to user your user account. In this case other users can't see your players.

Even worse if you configured your Spotify app to only show local players: in this case the app would ignore the information from Spotify's servers. Thus not seeing players connected to Spotify, nor those in your network (because Spotty's announcements fail).

So, if your second user does not see your players, it's likely due to Spotty failing the local announcements: in this case the Spotify relies on the list of devices known to your account. As that's different for your other user, he can't see your player. You'd see the "Don't announce Squeezebox players..." option checked in Settings/Advanced/Spotty if that was the case. That pref is set automatically if the helper crashes regularly. You can try to remove it. But it would likely be set again after a few minutes if there was a problem with the spotty helper.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

First of all, thanks for your quick answers! See my comments below.

Heck... this is a FAQ, but I can't find a good response of mine which I could quote :-D. Therefore I'll try to write it up now, and keep a reference to this posting around. Here we go:

A few parameters come into play when you want to be able to control a Connect enabled Spotty instance:

1. Network
    2. Spotty's announcement mode
    3. User account
    4. The Spotify app's configuration

In the simplest case your mobile device running the Spotify app would be connected to the same network where LMS was running, and Spotty would be able to announce its availability in your network. In that case any user would see the player.

-> The phones with Spotify on it an the players are in a different network/VLAN then the LMS server. User A is able to cast to the players, user B not. I just connected user B to the VLAN of the LMS server, it then works, the players are shown. So this configuration is working, but normally, I have my wireless clients in a separate VLAN. I still do not understand why it is working for user A and not for user B when the phones are not in the same network as the LMS server (see also comment below).

Sometimes Spotty fails to announce its clients in your network. In that case the Spotify app would only see the players Spotify's servers know about. This is limited to the players configured to user your user account. In this case other users can't see your players.

-> I do not understand how this is configured. I added two Spotify accounts in LMS and I have two players. I can not assign a player to the user, so how is this configured/handled within LMS? Where can I add the players also for user B?

Even worse if you configured your Spotify app to only show local players: in this case the app would ignore the information from Spotify's servers. Thus not seeing players connected to Spotify, nor those in your network (because Spotty's announcements fail).

-> This is not the case, this is not turned on in Spotify.

So, if your second user does not see your players, it's likely due to Spotty failing the local announcements: in this case the Spotify relies on the list of devices known to your account. As that's different for your other user, he can't see your player. You'd see the "Don't announce Squeezebox players..." option checked in Settings/Advanced/Spotty if that was the case. That pref is set automatically if the helper crashes regularly. You can try to remove it. But it would likely be set again after a few minutes if there was a problem with the spotty helper.

-> The options "Don't announce Squeezebox players...." is not turned on

>> -> The phones with Spotify on it an the players are in a different
    >> network/VLAN then the LMS server.

Oh, I forgot to mention this: discovery obviously only works if all
    devices involved are in the same network. If not, then the same
    limitations as with disabled announcements apply: you only see players
    reported connected to your account.

--

Michael

>> -> The phones with Spotify on it an the players are in a different
    >> network/VLAN then the LMS server.

Oh, I forgot to mention this: discovery obviously only works if all
    devices involved are in the same network. If not, then the same
    limitations as with disabled announcements apply: you only see players
    reported connected to your account.

--

Michael
    Hello, I understand that discovery only works when the devices are in the same network, that is clear.

But I still do not understand how you can add players connect to your Spotify account. As I wrote earlier, see below, my question are behind the arrow.

-> I do not understand how this is configured. I added two Spotify accounts in LMS and I have two players. I can not assign a player to the user, so how is this configured/handled within LMS? Where can I add the players also for user B?

Thanks

-

> But I still do not understand how you can add players connect to your
    > Spotify account. As I wrote earlier, see below, my question are behind
    > the arrow.

The assignment happens implicitely by selecting a user's menu on the
    Squeezebox itself (or in any LMS controlled UI). The last user
    controlling a device through LMS would be the user being able to use it
    in Connect mode. But it's always one single user only.
    --

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by overett1 View Post
    The problem was that Spotty did not work and complained that it could not find the helper app. So I tried adding different ones to no avail. But removing them again it indeed works normally with no complaints. Thanks and apologies.
    Hi Michael

Unfortunately this issue has returned. Without making changes to our system, Spotty stopped working: yesterday it worked fine, today one of the Squeezeboxes (a Boom) would not connect to our server and after restarting the server LMS would work but trying to use Spotty would not: nothing would show when selecting it from the menu, and selecting it from the Squeezebox Boom appeared to hang the system.

On going into settings, I once again got the message "Couldn't start the Spotify Connect Helper application. Maybe your platform isn't supported?" in Plugins, and in Advanced:

There has been a problem running the Spotty helper application. Most likely your operating system and/or platform is not supported. Please report the following details to me:

Operating system: Red Hat / x86_64-linux

Helper Applications Folder:
    /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux
    /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin
    /usr/local/sbin
    /usr/local/bin
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/bin
    /usr/libexec
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotty/Bin/i386-linux
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotty/Bin

I have tried uninstalling Spotty and reinstalling to no avail (I get the message above). I also tried installing the inappropriate helper applications and uninstalling them, to no avail. Spotty appears in the main interface but it just says "Spotify Credentials missing Please check Settings/Advanced/Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox in the web interface" (I removed the preferences folders in order to try a completely clean reinstall). Authorising through Spotify apps does not work, and entering my Spotify username and password manually in the plugin settings page does not appear to work either, with the credentials still being reported as missing

I attach the server.log since last restart with Spotty set to 'Debug'. Grateful for any suggestions.

Jonathan