Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

DIY Standalone Speaker

Hi!

Since original Squeezebox equipment is starting to get old, only supporting WiFi G, having a DHCP client that's not compatible, turnwheel's staring to get cloggy...

Isn't there time for someone to put together a standalone Squeezebox Speaker with working ACw2 WiFi and DHCP client (Raspberry Pi Zero WH $5) looking something like this:

Name:  canton-am-5-active-speaker-white-kit.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  19.9 KB

DIY Standalone Speaker

There are philipp44's various bridge plugins which allow you to use
    Airplay or DLNA compatible speakers. Of which there are a few good looking.

(never tested any of this, but highly recommended by others)

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Arcuza View Post
    Hi!

Since original Squeezebox equipment is starting to get old, only supporting WiFi G, having a DHCP client that's not compatible, turnwheel's staring to get cloggy...

Isn't there time for someone to put together a standalone Squeezebox Speaker with working ACw2 WiFi and DHCP client (Raspberry Pi Zero WH $5) looking something like this:

Name:  canton-am-5-active-speaker-white-kit.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  19.9 KB
    Picoreplayer works on a zero - will that not do ?

Take a look through the systems in https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-based-systems
    for various examples - including RPi stuck on the back of a speaker.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Picoreplayer works on a zero - will that not do ?
    Yes it will... But someone that knows a lot about electrics need to combine a PI Zero, Software, HiFi audio output, speaker, amplifier and find out a way to initially setup the speaker without the need of a display.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcuza View Post
    Yes it will... But someone that knows a lot about electrics need to combine a PI Zero, Software, HiFi audio output, speaker, amplifier and find out a way to initially setup the speaker without the need of a display.
    If you want that level of simplicity then "someone" will not do it. A Chromecast Audio (I know they've been killedoff) and Phillipe's Chromecast bridge plugin would be the next best fit.

Audio Pro C5 and AirPlay bridge it's all you need.

Name:  290410_2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  17.6 KB
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    This is only useful for those in the "lower 48" states of the USA, and of arguable value even for us, but woot.com is closing out Jam Symphony and Rhythm speakers, which are Airplay compatible and work quite well (for what they are) with the Airplay bridge. The Rhythm is $25 US and the larger Symphony is $35. They're in the "Electronics Garage Sale" section.

These are NOT great speakers or even very good speakers, but they produce mostly pleasant sound that's quite good for the price, as long as they aren't cranked up too much. As discontinued products, they probably aren't likely to be upgraded to Airplay 2, which is good, since that would make them incompatible with the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    I'll second this. I saw your earlier recommendation for this device in the 'SB Touch + speaker to replace SB Boom' thread. I also recall a comment that Airplay synchronisation through Philippe's Airplay bridge is good, so I was intrigued enough to try one.

I went for the C3 though since it has an internal battery. It's slightly smaller than the C5, but the sound is certainly very good. There's some small tone adjustment via the phone app, and even though the Boom still has the edge in my opinion (I do like the bright sound that the Boom gives with the treble all the way up!), the C3 is quite close. Via the Airplay bridge the synchronisation is extremely good, so that's a big benefit over a standard Bluetooth speaker - I've found that the delay with a Bluetooth speaker can be adjusted out, but it seems to be slightly different every time the speaker connects. The C3 is spot on every time so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If you want that level of simplicity then "someone" will not do it. A Chromecast Audio (I know they've been killedoff) and Phillipe's Chromecast bridge plugin would be the next best fit.
    A Google home max could have been another good option, especially when they were on special offer.