Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

iTunes download cost

I'm one of those who still accumulates music, having mostly avoided streaming. Perhaps sometime.

But that "sometime" may be accelerated.

I just noticed that the typical album cost in the Canada iTunes store has gone up from $9.99 to $16.99. I can't find anything about this online, but it's a very dramatic increase indeed. Buying CDs is cheaper.

My guess is that the long-rumored abandonment of the store in favor of the Apple Music streaming service is imminent.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

CDs provide an excellent solution. Many times they are less expensive than downloads, and you can get higher quality files out of them. With a CD you can rip them into multiple file types (I use FLAC for the home stereo and MP3s for portable devices), you get the artwork, and at the end of the day you have the disc as a backup. Amazon and others sell most CDs with MP3 files for immediate gratification. Throw out the jewel case and throw them in a plastic sleeve and storage is less of an issue.

It's possible that Apple wants to accelerate your move to streaming. In the long run they will make more off you by renting you music than selling you individual files.
    Location 1: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB > RPi3 > piCorePlayer > LMS 7.9.2 > Squeezebox Touch >NAD 326BEE > BeoLab 4000
    Location 2: Squeezebox Touch, Audio Engine A2+
    Controller: Asus Tablet > Orange Squeeze
    Music: Ripping (FLAC) dbpoweramp, Tagging: mp3tag

Agreed about all the above points.

And I was wrong about Apple's price increase. Turns out I'd been logged out of the iTunes store, and the prices displayed on the Canadian site were drawn from who-knows-where, but were not accurate, and vastly inflated. After log-in, they returned to the standard pricing, $9.95 for most. Was a strange thing.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)