Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,283

    Comparison of old mp3 to flac

    Name:  prodigal son.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  54.3 KB

    Years ago, in 2007 ro 2008, I got what became one of my favorite folk albums, Martin Simpson's Prodigal Son. It was one of my very first bought-for-the-squeezebox recordings. An excellent album, highly recommended.

    But I got it from the old eMusic store, and it was a 176 VBR file. I didn't question the quality at the time, and have enjoyed it greatly over the years, but there has been a recent re-issue with supplementary live performances. I decided I needed to upgrade and bought the CD. Couldn't find an available non-lossy download source.

    There is no mention in the liner notes of the original recording having been subject to remixing or remastering, so I assume the files are produced from the same source as the original CD.

    Rather than removing the old files, I decided to keep both versions so I could do a comparison.

    And wow, what a difference! The guitar playing crisply resonates on the new version, whereas on the old it was by comparison foggy and a bit muffled. Kate Rusby's backing vocals on the classic "Never Any Good" can be heard fully articulated in the background, whereas on the old one I could barely understand her words.

    Well worth the upgrade cost!

    R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2019-04-01 at 10:16.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oakville,Ontario,CA
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Name:  prodigal son.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  54.3 KB

    Years ago, in 2007 ro 2008, I got what became one of my favorite folk albums, Martin Simpson's Prodigal Son. It was one of my very first bought-for-the-squeezebox recordings. An excellent album, highly recommended.

    But I got it from the old eMusic store, and it was a 176 VBR file. I didn't question the quality at the time, and have enjoyed it greatly over the years, but there has been a recent re-issue with supplementary live performances. I decided I needed to upgrade and bought the CD. Couldn't find an available non-lossy download source.

    There is no mention in the liner notes of the original recording having been subject to remixing or remastering, so I assume the files are produced from the same source as the original CD.

    Rather than removing the old files, I decided to keep both versions so I could do a comparison.

    And wow, what a difference! The guitar playing crisply resonates on the new version, whereas on the old it was by comparison foggy and a bit muffled. Kate Rusby's backing vocals on the classic "Never Any Good" can be heard fully articulated in the background, whereas on the old one I could barely understand her words.

    Well worth the upgrade cost!

    R.
    Can you access this link on qobuz ?

    https://play.qobuz.com/album/v1veyoj7dc1ub

    Track Titles have "remastered" on them but no detail is given, nor there is a booklet.
    Only 16bit is available for download purchase
    George

    Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,283
    Nope, not in Canada, at least not yet. Promised for future.

    I've seen the remastered claim online, but there is nothing to that effect in the extensive liner notes, or as I recall on Simpson's website.

    R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Nope, not in Canada, at least not yet. Promised for future.

    I've seen the remastered claim online, but there is nothing to that effect in the extensive liner notes, or as I recall on Simpson's website.

    R.
    This review calls it a "Deluxe Edition Reissue". I think he likes it.
    https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2019/03/...eluxe-edition/

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanks. I'd read that review, and it is not only laudatory but absolutely correct on all counts.

    The reissue is "deluxe" due to fancy packaging, extended liner notes and the bonus CD of live versions. Well worth it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original mastering.

    R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

  6. #6
    If your newly purchased version indeed is remastered, than you are comparing apples and oranges.
    Nice to hear that you like the new version of course, but if you really want to compare the old mp3 against flac than you should find the original lossless version/mastering which was used for your mp3s.
    Last edited by zordaz; 2019-08-14 at 15:39.
    Living Room: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Kitchen: SB Radio
    Other rooms: 4x SB Radio

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    If your newly purchased version indeed is remastered, than you are comparing apples and oranges.
    Nice to hear that you like the new version of course, but if you really want to compare the old mp3 against flac than you should find the original lossless version/mastering which was used for your the mp3s.
    There is no evidence that it is remastered, just reissued.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •