Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does this really impact lircd

So, I am confused. I understand IRDA is going to go away.

But I thought LIRCD was a different package? And doesn't PiCorePlayer only use LIRCD?

I don't think that LIRCD is dependent on IRDA?

If I remember correctly IRDA is a network protocol that let two devices with IRDA trasmitter/receivers to talk to one another over an IR network. Laptops from a long, long, long time ago used to have these IR ports for networking. These ports could not be used to control infrared remotes whatsoever.

Correct me if I am wrong?

It is super easy to compile LIRCD on pretty well all recent Linux distributions. So is this actually affecting PiCorePlayer?
    LMS Server: VortexBox Virtual Machine
    2 PiCorePlayers with IQ Audio DAC+, 1 PiCorePlayer with ADL GT40 DAC, 2 SB Touch, 4 SB Radio, 1 SB Controller remote

1st, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any irda stuff really out there. Which it appears nobody is using these.

But there are changes to to the ir ecosystem, in some cases, we no longer need lircd to work with jivelite. Ralphy is the one working on the details here, I'm sure we will share more when we get more figured out.

We keep getting close on 5.0.0, then we decide to attach more.......
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    1st, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any irda stuff really out there. Which it appears nobody is using these.

But there are changes to to the ir ecosystem, in some cases, we no longer need lircd to work with jivelite. Ralphy is the one working on the details here, I'm sure we will share more when we get more figured out.

We keep getting close on 5.0.0, then we decide to attach more.......
    So just to be on the record, I use USB based IR receivers for controller picoreplayer. I use them for ease of getting the IR receiver to a convenient location with my setup. (I put all my AV equipment in closets away from the TV so getting a USB receiver to a good location is easy.)

lircd will support my USB receivers just fine. I hope whatever you do with 5.0 you at least offer the option of using lircd to drive USB receivers.

Thanks.
    LMS Server: VortexBox Virtual Machine
    2 PiCorePlayers with IQ Audio DAC+, 1 PiCorePlayer with ADL GT40 DAC, 2 SB Touch, 4 SB Radio, 1 SB Controller remote

Quote Originally Posted by Zounder1 View Post
    So just to be on the record, I use USB based IR receivers for controller picoreplayer. I use them for ease of getting the IR receiver to a convenient location with my setup. (I put all my AV equipment in closets away from the TV so getting a USB receiver to a good location is easy.)

lircd will support my USB receivers just fine. I hope whatever you do with 5.0 you at least offer the option of using lircd to drive USB receivers.

Thanks.
    If the USB IR receivers are truely that and do not emulate a keyboard as most do these days then they likely won't work with jivelite in 5.0 but should work with squeezelite.

If it emulates a keyboard then LIRCD is not needed and they should work with jivelite.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    If it emulates a keyboard then LIRCD is not needed and they should work with jivelite.
    Would that also work without an actual display attached? Is Jivelite the recommended way to go for controlling pCP with a keyboard emulating remote?

I ask because I think most Bluetooth remotes fall into that category as well. Maybe setup for those could be integrated with that for IR remotes somehow. These remotes are dirt cheap, don't need line of sight and all current Pi models have on board Bluetooth already.

Quote Originally Posted by Manul View Post
    Would that also work without an actual display attached? Is Jivelite the recommended way to go for controlling pCP with a keyboard emulating remote?
    Jivelite is the only way to control the player with a keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards once paired should work the same, however, jivelite requires a display to function.

Squeezelite can be controlled without a screen using an IR remote via lircd. See ir.c for the list of commands available.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.