Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

DISCTOTAL Tag not recognised

Hi all
    I've noticed that with multidisc MP3 files in my collection the DISCTOTAL tag is not shown/recognised by LMS (or foobar2000) but can be seen in the file properties in Windows.
    The majority of my files are FLAC & these show the tag correctly.
    I'm using Mp3tag editor to edit.

Any help appreciated :-)

Cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paden View Post
    Hi all
    I've noticed that with multidisc MP3 files in my collection the DISCTOTAL tag is not shown/recognised by LMS (or foobar2000) but can be seen in the file properties in Windows.
    The majority of my files are FLAC & these show the tag correctly.
    I'm using Mp3tag editor to edit.

Any help appreciated :-)

Cheers, Paul
    MP3 supports ID3 tags, which have a defined set of tags. If you set tags outside that defined space, you will find that software is not likely to support it. DISCTOTAL is not a supported ID3 tag that I can see (in any version of ID3). FLAC on the other hand has a much more open tag space, so you can create custom tags easily and they will generally be supported.

At a quick search, the following site shows a list of all ID3 tags available over the multiple versions of ID3 there are. There may be better sites, but this looks pretty thorough. MP3Tag may have similar lists available through its website.

https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exi...Names/ID3.html

I will add that if you put a custom tag into MP3Tag for an MP3, it will get put into a TXXX tag. In LMS, you could access those tags using the CustomScan to define the tag you want to scan in. I have done this; just recognize that you probably won't see any other software access those tags. And, if LMS ever changes to break the plugin, you could lose support.

Many thanks for the reply emalvick.
    I'll have a look at the CustomScan plugin.

Cheers, Paul

ID3v2.3 surely supports Disc #. The tag is TPOS and is recognized by LMS as Disc #. MP3Tag will write this tag also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

I think TPOS is the "x" in disc x of y.

Assuming that the field you want would be the "y" in Disc x of y then try TOTALDISCS
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...iscs&type=Code
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I think TPOS is the "x" in disc x of y.

Assuming that the field you want would be the "y" in Disc x of y then try TOTALDISCS
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...iscs&type=Code
    I thought the OP wanted Disc # tag for MP3 files. I believe TOTALDISCS is for OGG and FLAC, TPOS is for MP3.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I thought the OP wanted Disc # tag for MP3 files. I believe TOTALDISCS is for OGG and FLAC, TPOS is for MP3.
    The OP will have to chime in, but I took it that they were looking for the total number of disks, while TPOS is usually the specific disc number a track comes from.

In my collection FLAC files have a DISCNUMBER tag that usually lines up with the TPOS tag in mp3's. I actually don't track total number of discs in my metadata, so I've not thought much of it, but I do track disc numbers when there are more than one discs (I just never worry about how the total).

However, I will note that there doesn't seem to really be a standard for naming the total number of discs or tracks in FLAC or MP3. However, FLAC does let you create such a tag of which TOTALDISCS would be.

Many times when I rip CD's, the auto-metadata will actually account for the total number of discs (and tracks) by filling TPOS or DISCNUMBER in a format such as 01/02 to indicate disc 1 of 2 for instance, which of course combines the two.
    Last edited by emalvick; 2019-04-03 at 15:45.

It's explicitly stated in the ID3v2.3 spec that the total number of discs can be communicated after the position of "this" medium, separated by a "/":
    TPOS
    The 'Part of a set' frame is a numeric string that describes which part of a set the audio came from. This frame is used if the source described in the "TALB" frame is divided into several mediums, e.g. a double CD. The value may be extended with a "/" character and a numeric string containing the total number of parts in the set. E.g. "1/2".
    http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#line-467

This is one of the problems with managing a format-heterogenous library; the fields themselves can be differently named and the syntax of the fields' values.

Hey all
    Thanks for the additional info.
    It was the total number of disks I was trying to display, extending the value with a "/" character looks like a good solution.
    Fortunately I don't have too many mp3's so it shouldn't take that long to re-tag :-)

Thanks again.

Cheers, Paul.