Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transporter sound very corrupted -- HELP

My Transporter is having some sort of crisis. I was happily playing some music, and at one point the sound just got completely garbled, audible but broken up and distorted. I thought it could be several things, e.g. the bluetooth connection to my headphone (nope, using a radio feed through the Transporter worked fine), or a problem with the storage drive or the server (nope, switching to my mobile as the player worked fine), or something deeper in the Transporter (maybe).

Just in case, I rebooted the server and shut off and restarted the external hard drive. Made no difference, Transporter still not working, SBPlayer on my mobile no problems.

So it seems to be something with the Transporter's decoding of the digital stream, or the output from that function. Since the internet radio works, though, it's kind of confusing.

The Transporter is ethernet-connected to the server; my other players all use wifi. I did a xilix reset.

Suggestions?

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2019-03-31 at 18:39.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

A couple more confusing observations.

The problem seems to be restricted to one particular album (although I haven't tried many). It's flac encoded, and other flac and mp3 files play fine. It's only the one album, so far. This is all on the Transporter, just the one flac album won't play, sounds like a corrupt file(s).

However, that album plays fine through other players, it's only the Transporter that is problematic. And it played the SAME ALBUM just fine, earlier this evening.

Very mysterious.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

See if you can re-encode the flac files. Use Lossless Level 5. I use dBpoweramp to do that.

(Not a good day for the Transporter.)
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2019-03-31 at 19:13.

Will do that. I got it as a FLAC through Bandcamp, so it's not been through my own dbPoweramp process.

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Update -- It appears to be an issue with Bluetooth. I use the Oasis Avantree Plus as my BT transmitter, which is a high-end device that connects to the Transporter through the optical Toslink option. In theory, it's capable of handling hi-res audio (well above 16/44), although my Bose headphones don't support the higher resolutions.

So it appears the problem is either with the Oasis or the headphones. I'm not sure if the digital output of the Transporter (through the optical connection) is managed by the Transporter or if it's just a pass-through of the output of LMS on the server. I suspect the Oasis, since the BT output of my mobile, to the same headphones, works fine.

The album in question plays flawlessly through the analog outs of the Transporter, as it does with all devices.

Since the issue is restricted to the one album, I'll still re-process the files to see if that makes a difference.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2019-04-01 at 07:55.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Update -- It appears to be an issue with Bluetooth. I use the Oasis Avantree Plus as my BT transmitter, which is a high-end device that connects to the Transporter through the optical Toslink option. In theory, it's capable of handling hi-res audio (well above 16/44), although my Bose headphones don't support the higher resolutions.

So it appears the problem is either with the Oasis or the headphones. I'm not sure if the digital output of the Transporter (through the optical connection) is managed by the Transporter or if it's just a pass-through of the output of LMS on the server. I suspect the Oasis, since the BT output of my mobile, to the same headphones, works fine.

The album in question plays flawlessly through the analog outs of the Transporter, as it does with all devices.

Since the issue is restricted to the one album, I'll still re-process the files to see if that makes a difference.

R.
    Odd. I can see how something like a connected BT transport might interfere in some way, but it seems like it would interfere with all playback, not just one album. Will be interesting to see if converting the files to FLAC solves the problem.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I just did a flac to flac reprocessing, made a very slight difference in filesize (about .1%), so the original was probably also at Level 5.

After a rescan, made absolutely no difference. Still plays corrupted through the Oasis BT from the Transporter, but fine from the mobile BT; other files play fine through the Oasis BT from the Transporter. I could probably convert to 320 mp3, but I'd resent doing that even if I couldn't hear a difference.

In the whole scheme of things, a small thing since I have options. But very irritating. I've scheduled a call with Oasis support later today.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2019-04-01 at 09:49.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Logic needs to be applied.

1. It doesn't matter what the original encoding format was, the TP will decode it to linear PCM before it appears at the optical output. So that is a red herring.

2. Is the sample rate or bit depth different to other files that play ok through the BT adapter? If it is, then try reencoding it to a lower rate.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

All my self generated flacs are at L5, and I re-encoded this one at that level. Made no difference, and as noted above made very little diff in file size, so presumably encoded at the same level originally.

Yes, logic, which is why I've tried several analytic tacks. It seems likely the problem lies with the Oasis BT device, but why is a mystery. Their tech support has not been helpful.

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    All my self generated flacs are at L5, and I re-encoded this one at that level. Made no difference, and as noted above made very little diff in file size, so presumably encoded at the same level originally.
    When I suggested re-encoding at a lower rate I didn't mean a lower level of FLAC compression. I meant a a lower sample rate. For example, if the file that won't play is at 96khz, try sample rate converting it to 48khz, using something like SOX. It could be that the BT adapter you have can't cope with the higher sample rate.

Remember that because the TP plays this file ok through its analogue output, it cannot be a problem with the TP decoding the FLAC. By the time the signal gets to the BT adapter it's plain linear PCM.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A