Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Guide for setting up VPN remote access to LMS ?

I've read all the Squeezebox forum wiki guides and other web sites regarding remote connections etc. and it works. But they all highlight DON'T DO IT, don't forward ports, use a VPN server set up on your router.

I understand setting up with merely username + password combination is not sufficient, and I need to set up a VPN server on my Asus RT AC 87U router to securely access my home LMS server (and entire home network, I understand).

This is the closest guide I could find so far:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114892

That guide is far from detailed enough, I don't understand how to test it or access it or anything.

Tried googling "Logitech Media Server VPN" and variations, there seems to be no specific guide for this that I could find ?

Any help with this ? Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by echable View Post
    I've read all the Squeezebox forum wiki guides and other web sites regarding remote connections etc. and it works. But they all highlight DON'T DO IT, don't forward ports, use a VPN server set up on your router.

I understand setting up with merely username + password combination is not sufficient, and I need to set up a VPN server on my Asus RT AC 87U router to securely access my home LMS server (and entire home network, I understand).

This is the closest guide I could find so far:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114892

That guide is far from detailed enough, I don't understand how to test it or access it or anything.

Tried googling "Logitech Media Server VPN" and variations, there seems to be no specific guide for this that I could find ?

Any help with this ? Thank you very much!
    Configure the Asus VPN server - either PPTP (not recommended) or OpenVPN
    At the remote end you then need a corresponding VPN client.
    When you want to connect you configure the client to connect to the external IP of your router.
    When it connects your internal LAN is then (should be) fully accessible from that client so you would connect your client to http://LMSIP:9000 and you should see the LMS Gui
    Then if you had an instance of Squeezelite or Squeezeplay on the PC it should work although may need the server IP declaring.

Connecting a Squeezebox device (e.g SB3) needs a site to site VPN but you can install an OpenVPN client on a Raspberry Pi with squeezelite and that should work.

So. What is at the remote end end hardware wise?

NB. The LAN networks need to be different at each end so if home were 192.168.1.x then the remote end has to be different subnet. Often you have no control at the remote end so sometimes the whole home network would need to be changed to something different e.g. 192.168.2.x
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Addendum
    It is very easy to setup iPeng on an iOS device with playback enabled to use the iOS OpenVPN client from anywhere
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

OK, it's easy but I don't like it.

On an Asus router with Merlin firmware, make sure you have your free ASUS DDNS set, then go to Advanced Settings - VPN - VPN Server - create username and password - click plus - click apply.

Use Android OpenVPN Connect client to connect to your home network DDNS address and you can from e.g. a 4G mobile network access your home network using home network internal IP addresses.

Problem is, this won't, at least with default settings, let you use my VPN provider www.privateinternetaccess.com .opvn file generator to connnect the router as a VPN client to PIA at the same time (this being another usage of the term VPN, in this case the router being a PIA client and PIA thus providing encryption/unblocking/geolocation etc. for all traffic out of router to ISP).

Read a thousand posts, contacted PIA and ASUS support (both useless of course), I know it's just a simple matter of a conflicting setting or two and the router will be able to be a VPN server (for remote access to home network) and VPN client (for PIA) at the same time. Any tips appreciated. Something about subnets, mentioned above ? Reading up on this now. What are available/recommended ranges for subnets ?

Wiki should be updated with instructions on how to do this, what with the strong warnings to avoid LMS port forwarding and nothing on how/what kind of VPN to use.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Configure the Asus VPN server - either PPTP (not recommended) or OpenVPN
    At the remote end you then need a corresponding VPN client.
    When you want to connect you configure the client to connect to the external IP of your router.
    When it connects your internal LAN is then (should be) fully accessible from that client so you would connect your client to http://LMSIP:9000 and you should see the LMS Gui
    Then if you had an instance of Squeezelite or Squeezeplay on the PC it should work although may need the server IP declaring.

Connecting a Squeezebox device (e.g SB3) needs a site to site VPN but you can install an OpenVPN client on a Raspberry Pi with squeezelite and that should work.

So. What is at the remote end end hardware wise?

NB. The LAN networks need to be different at each end so if home were 192.168.1.x then the remote end has to be different subnet. Often you have no control at the remote end so sometimes the whole home network would need to be changed to something different e.g. 192.168.2.x
    Thank you for your post. See mye other posts for how I've progressed on this issue, with a functioning OpenVPN Server on my Asus router connecting from the Android OpenVPN Connect. So if I go to 192.168.1.100 on the Android Chrome browser takes me to the server with that IP address at home network.

I want to use the Asus router VPN Client at the same time, connecting to my VPN provider Private Internet Access. but I set this up using their own generated .ovpn files - then in the moment I turn it on, the router VPN server stops working. Any tips re that ?