Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,656

    ickStream Shutdown

    Dear fiends and users of ickStream,

    Over the last 7 years we have tried to build a bridge between quickly evolving streaming music market and the longer-term focused audio hardware market. We have learned that sometimes legal and strategic aspects are more important than to have a good and affordable product that solves a problem for a customer. We have come to a point where proceeding would require significant investments in time and money and this is something we can't justify ourselves at this stage.

    Due to all these developments and with a heavy heart we have to announce that we don't see a perspective for us to keep operating the ickStream service for an extended time.

    Therefore, we decided to shut down the ickStream service at the end of May 2019.
    After that, the ickStream services and any ickStream plugins you may use will cease to function.

    As a user, you might want to look out for alternative service implementations.

    As a partner or user of our technology, please be aware that products relying on our services will no longer work after that date.

    If your company still feels the need to use some of our technology or has the need for or interest in a continued service, please feel free to contact us, we are open for all kind of options including licensing, sale of our technology or the ickStream GmbH company.

    Our open source software will still be available under the license agreements they were published under, restrictions (especially those imposed by third parties) will continue to apply. Unfortunately, releasing the whole platform under open source is not an option due to restrictions imposed by our streaming service partners.

    For users of the Squeezebox platform: you will find that for a lot of the services which were supported through ickStream there are alternatives, either through Logitech's MySqueezebox.com service or third part plugins.

    The iPeng App is unrelated to ickStream and will continue to work and will be see continued development going forward.

    It was a pleasure to work with you all, we hope to see you all again in other circumstances.

    Cheers
    Your ickStream team
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,516
    Sad, but understandable. Thanks to you and the team for all your hard work.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Dusted off my login to say:

    Thank You.

    I have used your services for a number of years. A very satisfied user.

    I have a vague notion that the plugin I was using prior to ickstream was going unsupported or stopped working. Switched to ickstream and never looked back.
    I now see that the 'native' plugin I need for my streaming service works (again?), so all is good.

    Good luck, and thanks again.

    Dag B

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Ahh.. sad to hear

    IckStream has been working flawlessly for me through a couple of years...

    I was able to stream different songs to different players - is that something that is possible with the official Tidal App?

    Futurewise / featurewise is it possible to release the IckStream platform as a project that can be deployed on a local server - or does it end up in legal issues?

    Regards...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SorÝ, Denmark
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by woodster View Post
    I was able to stream different songs to different players - is that something that is possible with the official Tidal App?
    Yes. That works fine as long as you use squeezeboxes. But if you start the Tidal APP on a cellphone og PC, squeezebox will stop after the song it is playing.
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Transporter - Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Guestroom: Touch - Bencmark DAC1, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Sounds OK then.

    Do you install the official Tidal App through the mysqueezebox webpage, or is it though the plugin page in the server.

    I tried the App, and I can search for music, but nothing comes out of the players - they are Squeezelite players from the Airplay plugin.

    Quote Originally Posted by callesoroe View Post
    Yes. That works fine as long as you use squeezeboxes. But if you start the Tidal APP on a cellphone og PC, squeezebox will stop after the song it is playing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member erland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11,036
    Quote Originally Posted by woodster View Post
    Futurewise / featurewise is it possible to release the IckStream platform as a project that can be deployed on a local server - or does it end up in legal issues?
    Many of the content services canít be released as open source due to restrictions by streaming partners (since it would expose their private apiís and potentially violate NDAs). The platform itself could theoretically be released as open source but it isnít really suitable to run on a local server, itís optimized for being a central server used by many simultaneous users.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SorÝ, Denmark
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by woodster View Post
    Sounds OK then.

    Do you install the official Tidal App through the mysqueezebox webpage, or is it though the plugin page in the server.

    I tried the App, and I can search for music, but nothing comes out of the players - they are Squeezelite players from the Airplay plugin.
    You have to give in your credentials to Tidal on Mysqeezebox.com. Do you have an old squeezebox registered?
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Transporter - Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Guestroom: Touch - Bencmark DAC1, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Many of the content services canít be released as open source due to restrictions by streaming partners (since it would expose their private apiís and potentially violate NDAs). The platform itself could theoretically be released as open source but it isnít really suitable to run on a local server, itís optimized for being a central server used by many simultaneous users.
    Okay - makes sense.

    Thanks for you work so far....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by callesoroe View Post
    You have to give in your credentials to Tidal on Mysqeezebox.com. Do you have an old squeezebox registered?
    Hi,

    yes I have signed in for the Tidal app at mysqueezebox.com - and it lists my players also.
    I can search, get metadata, but no sound, it just skips the tracks quite fast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •