Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I do think care needs to be taken as some software gives the option of actually adjusting the levels in the file?

I don't recommend that option, but watch out for it. It is a permanent change that it would seem rare that someone would want (at least in this day and age). I suspect it was more useful before RG tags became more widely supported. For instance, I use MediaMonkey, and it gives options for applying levels not just analyzing/tagging.

Anyway, I just mention it so that anyone new to the process applies a little caution.

Now in terms of processing 24k+ files, I probably wouldn't do it all at once. I would test it out on a few albums to start with and investigate how it works; understand what the process is. I know most of us that have done this know what it is, but it's worth understanding. I would then process on larger batches of files in a method you can keep track of. I had about 15k tracks at the time I did it, and my computer would hang up on trying to queue up more than 1,500 tracks. Of course that was 10+ years ago, but I think a lot of software get hung up with a large queue, and if you get a crash, it can be hard to figure out how far along your process got. It ended up being a little easier to just go through 10 to 50 albums at a time and know exactly where I was at.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    As Stig's post above - Foobar 2000 > ReplayGain -> Scan as albums (by tags). It takes ~10 seconds per album on my PC.

In a multi album playlist smart gain would read "Track gain" tags.

I couldn't do without it!

Attachment 27033

Attachment 27034
    So just to confirm Foobar2000 will apply album gain and track gain by default if I follow the above procedure? I guess I have some rescanning to do!
    BTW: I saw Ms Muldaur perform too many years ago.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Asus RT-N56U

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    So just to confirm Foobar2000 will apply album gain and track gain by default if I follow the above procedure? I guess I have some rescanning to do!
    BTW: I saw Ms Muldaur perform too many years ago.
    Yes it will.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I was inspired by this thread to look into ways to add replaygain tags to my 'FLAC Image+CUE sheet collection'. Ideally I'd like to leave the FLAC image untouched and just write RG tags to the CUE sheet. I use a Macbook, and although there's a Foobar2000 port for Mac now, it doesn't seem to have this capability, unless I've missed something.

I've used XLD for all my ripping, and it's capable of writing RG tags as part of the ripping process, but somehow I managed to turn off the RG options at some point in the past, so my files don't include these tags. But it turns out that it's possible to generate a new CUE sheet from a ripped image and to include RG tags in that new sheet.

I did:

'File' -> 'Open', and selected the CUE sheet (not the FLAC file). This loads the list of tracks.
    'File' -> 'Scan ReplayGain'. This produces a log file with the RG values included, but it doesn't update the original CUE file. At this point I thought that meant that RG tags couldn't be added (I thought I'd read that somewhere), but then I spotted..

'File' -> 'Save Cue Sheet As...'. This writes a new CUE sheet with the RG tags included. Like this:

Code:
    REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -6.03 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.999969
    FILE "Out Of The Blue.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 01 AUDIO
        TITLE "Turn To Stone"
        ISRC USSM17800576
        REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -6.35 dB
        REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.999023
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
    ...and LMS recognises both the album and track values.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a way to automate this for a complete folder structure. When I load multiple CUE sheets into XLD it seems to want to start transcoding the audio files. But it's a start!

If anyone knows how to do this automatically for an entire music folder I'd be pleased to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Yes it will.
    So big thanks to you and Stig. I always thought I had to choose between track gain and album gain, and it seemed that smart gain never worked properly. When I looked at my tags I had a mix of both, so now I'm rescanning everything in Foobar2000 as you recommended to get this sorted.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Asus RT-N56U

Foobar2000 settings for ReplayGain scanning

I've been following this thread with interest. I have downloaded and installed Foobar2000.

Below is a screenshot from Foobar2000 showing the preference options for a ReplayGain Scan. I selected "Quiet Mode" but otherwise left the Default settings.

All of my files are FLAC.

Should I deselect "Downsample high-definition content"?
    Should I select "True peak scan"?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide, and if I've failed to provide information you need please let me know.Name:  Preferences ReplayGain Scanner.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  84.3 KB

These are new options. Not sure. From reading the options I would leave the down sample selected. Then do a test with and without the peak option on a few different types of music styles and see how I like the results for volume matching. Of course all any of this does is add info tags. Itĺs not touching your actual audio info in the files.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks guys!

Nice to read that this topic also serves others.

I am a Foobar user for a long time so that's what I used.
    On the Foobar website I found some info regarding RG, it states that one might use a lower preamp for classical music...
    What is the reason for doing so, or not using it at all with a multitude of music files of different genres and sources?

It is as if there is no volume control afterwards...
    I guess that most people change the volume regularly, depending on the circumstances, so either I don't understand what RG does or I don't see the consequences.

Thanks for clarifying!
    R.
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite, LMS and Jivelite), +24k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

Replay gain on whole collection, or not?

Very interesting topic. Thanks.

I am using beets for organising my music (really nice!)

Is anybody here using beets (http://beets.io/ <http://beets.io/>) for doing this? It seems to be a good option for that?

Rainer

> On 27 Mar 2019, at 22:57, Rnee <Rnee.8xl7eo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Thanks guys!
    >
    > Nice to read that this topic also serves others.
    >
    > I am a Foobar user for a long time so that's what I used.
    > On the Foobar website I found some info regarding RG, it states that one
    > might use a lower preamp for classical music...
    > What is the reason for doing so, or not using it at all with a multitude
    > of music files of different genres and sources?
    >
    > It is as if there is no volume control afterwards...
    > I guess that most people change the volume regularly, depending on the
    > circumstances, so either I don't understand what RG does or I don't see
    > the consequences.
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying!
    > R.
    >
    >
    >
    > RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite,
    > LMS and Jivelite), +24k titles on SMB share
    > RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    > RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    > RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Rnee's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=66970
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=110369
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    I am a Foobar user for a long time so that's what I used.
    On the Foobar website I found some info regarding RG, it states that one might use a lower preamp for classical music...
    What is the reason for doing so, or not using it at all with a multitude of music files of different genres and sources?

It is as if there is no volume control afterwards...
    I guess that most people change the volume regularly, depending on the circumstances, so either I don't understand what RG does or I don't see the consequences.
    I put RG tags on everything, track RG and Album RG.

This adds text value tags to gain control and peak levels to avoid clipping. This info is then applied by the player on playback, based on the text values from the RG analysis u previously applied.

It all sounds complicated but all it is, is a way to keep the volume at a relatively similar amount of loudness, so u don't need to adjust the volume knob manually. It's very useful for random mixes. Once u analyze and write all the necessary tags, and enable smartgain or whatever on playback, ur basically all set.

I have some classical and it seems to work on mine, but it's not even 10% of my collection (I think) so I can't really speak to that.

(I would check down sample and true peak btw)
    Last edited by BJW; 2019-04-20 at 19:02.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations