Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replay gain on whole collection, or not?

Hi guys

I have a collection of +24k files of which about 1200 are full albums, formats are flac, mp3 and m4a.

Apart from listening to full albums a lot, it also happens regularly that I play a mix based on genre or timeframe; naturally the result is having mixed sound levels.
    I know about that replay gain exists and think I know what it does.
    My questions
    1) is it advisable to modify my whole collection to 1 level?
    2) what are the disadvantages/reasons not to do this?
    3) anyone who did this and went back?

TIA
    R
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.3 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container, +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite)
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    Apart from listening to full albums a lot, it also happens regularly that I play a mix based on genre or timeframe; naturally the result is having mixed sound levels.
    I know about that replay gain exists and think I know what it does.
    My questions
    1) is it advisable to modify my whole collection to 1 level?
    2) what are the disadvantages/reasons not to do this?
    3) anyone who did this and went back?
    Adding ReplayGain information to your audio files doesn't actually in itself change the soundlevel or converts the music in any way. It is just meta-data added with information about "the loudness" of the track. It's up to your playing device to read it and act upon it, or just ignore the information and play it like there wasn't any ReplayGain information.

So there's really no harm done adding ReplayGain information to your music, unless you are using a player which has a fixed behaviour on ReplayGain info, which doesn't fit your liking. But I think most players understanding ReplayGain info, also offers options on how to (and if to) use it.

If I was to add ReplayGain info to a big set of audiofiles (which have album name tagged), I would use something like foobar2000:
    Right-click the root of you music library, and choose ReplayGain -> Scan as albums (by tag)
    This would add ReplayGain to all tracks, including loudness of the albums the tracks belongs too.

Then I would open Settings page in LMS, and choose:
    Player -> Audio -> Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain = "Smart Gain"

The info box to this LMS setting, explains it well what it does:

Some audio tracks contain volume adjustment, or "Replay Gain", information that can be used during playback to make sure that tracks and albums sound equally loud. The player can use this information if it is present. "Track gain" can be used to make sure that all tracks sound equally loud. "Album gain" can be used to make sure that all albums sound equally loud, but that volume differences between tracks within an album are preserved. "Smart" gain selection uses album gain if successive songs are from the same album or track gain for a mixed playlist.
    Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2019-03-24 at 04:22.
    /Stig
    rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
    Server: LMS 8.0.0 (LmsUpdate) - 1596358186 @ Aug 2th 2020 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

I apply/write RG tags to everything.

I would advise applying the R128 ver of RG, its newer. I think foobar, MM, etc use it. Winamp doesn't.

I advise applying both track and album tags.

And yes, smart gain is a great feature to use.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

[QUOTE=BJW;936869

I advise applying both track and album tags.
    [/QUOTE]

How do you apply Track AND Album tags using Foobar?

Which tag would smart gain read in a multi album playlist?

Thanks!
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

Let me be more clear...

I don't use foobar, so I can't speak to it. But what I am saying, is I would find an app that uses the r128 standard, and have it analyze and write both track and album tags at the same time. Winamp does this, just not with r128, (yet).

Then use smartgain on playback, and it will pick which is best to use, (& do so most of the time correctly).
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post

Which tag would smart gain read in a multi album playlist?

Thanks!
    As Stig's post above - Foobar 2000 > ReplayGain -> Scan as albums (by tags). It takes ~10 seconds per album on my PC.

In a multi album playlist smart gain would read "Track gain" tags.

I couldn't do without it!

Name:  RG1.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  RG2.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  18.6 KB
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    I was assuming that "Scan as albums (by tag)" would scan and add both tags. But maybe I'm wrong? I have definitely used some software that adds both at once, but now I'm in doubt if that was foobar2000 or if I used something else. It's a long time ago I did that procedure.

My ripper software, dBpoweramp, definitely adds both.

So, maybe my foobar2000 instruction should be ignored. At least verify it works (shouldn't be so difficult to test, but I'm on my way to bed)
    /Stig
    rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
    Server: LMS 8.0.0 (LmsUpdate) - 1596358186 @ Aug 2th 2020 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Stig Nygaard View Post
    I was assuming that "Scan as albums (by tag)" would scan and add both tags. But maybe I'm wrong? I have definitely used some software that adds both at once, but now I'm in doubt if that was foobar2000 or if I used something else. It's a long time ago I did that procedure.

My ripper software, dBpoweramp, definitely adds both.

So, maybe my foobar2000 instruction should be ignored. At least verify it works (shouldn't be so difficult to test, but I'm on my way to bed)
    I use foobar2000 to add ReplayGain tags often. After installing the RG component in foobar2000, it is available. I see no settings for this in foobar, but I can confirm that it adds both track and album RG tags.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I use foobar2000 to add ReplayGain tags often. After installing the RG component in foobar2000, it is available. I see no settings for this in foobar, but I can confirm that it adds both track and album RG tags.
    Thanks garym - and kidstypike (who posted while I was very slowly typing my previous post).

Okay, so you MIGHT have to install the ReplayGain component first in foobar2000 before my instructions work (File->Preferences->Components), though I think it is default included?

My component is called ReplayGain Scanner 2.3 (foo_rgscan). And its About page says:

ReplayGain Scanner for foobar2000
    Copyright (C) 2003-2018 Peter Pawlowski

libebur128
    Copyright (C) 2011 Jan KokemŘller
    I assume libebur128 means it is the R128 version BJW talks about.
    /Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Stig Nygaard View Post
    I assume libebur128 means it is the R128 version BJW talks about.
    Yes, foobar2000 (and dbpoweramp) both use R128 for creating replaygain tags.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify