Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    Thanks guys!

Nice to read that this topic also serves others.

I am a Foobar user for a long time so that's what I used.
    On the Foobar website I found some info regarding RG, it states that one might use a lower preamp for classical music...
    What is the reason for doing so, or not using it at all with a multitude of music files of different genres and sources?

It is as if there is no volume control afterwards...
    I guess that most people change the volume regularly, depending on the circumstances, so either I don't understand what RG does or I don't see the consequences.

Thanks for clarifying!
    R.
    To expand on the other response to this question. Foobar and other good software for creating RG tags will create tags for each track and a whole album based on some fixed level you want to average all your tracks to. And, most software for playing music will read those numbers and make its own adjustments if you have settings there for averaging. Depending on where your target is, clipping may occur because the RG is just for an average while many peaks will still be peaks and could clip. Maybe the track was on average a 90 and you are targeting 95. Well if the track was a 90 because some peaks were at 99, then shifting everything by +5 would cause clipping. Most software, when evaluating for RG, will also identify the peaks and either limit the RG tags so that these don't clip or provide a basis for other software to make that decision.

I suspect that the higher your target average is, the more likely you are to be in a situation where the peaks will exceed the dynamic limit where clipping will occur and the software will be setting RG tags to prevent clipping rather than to meet an average. Consequently, you might hear a difference if the RG is varying itself to prevent clipping rather than to create an average sound.

However, if you set your target average at a lower value, then the music will now be RG to the average you want, without peaks being clipped, and you will be less likely to hear a difference in volume.

Now, this is somewhat theoretical as I've never looked that close to know this is exactly the case. Conceptually, the above would be critical regardless of the music genre, but classical generally has more dynamic range so perhaps it is more likely to accidentally set RG values too high or end up with the clipping situation and volume discrepancy that could occur in the situations above.

Remember that the main purpose of RG is so that when you listen to music from multiple albums, that you aren't having to adjust the volume from track to track or album to album. However, if the peaks are getting into the way because the RG settings are too high, you could still be in that situation.

I've not experienced this myself, but I generally set my RG in LMS and in Foobar or other analyzing software to target at around 90. That seems to work, and I generally don't find myself changing the volume except when I get surprised when I switch over to streaming (which generally doesn't have RG) and the jump in volume startles me.

As far as I understand it, RG (the standard) has a set target level, -89db. Any change to that should NOT be done in the (writing of) tags, but rather on the fly by the software or hardware playing it back.

In winamp, it's called the rg preamp, and so u can in effect change the 89 to 92 by adding 3db on playback. The salient point is that the target level in the tags should be universal for compatibility reasons.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    That seems to work, and I generally don't find myself changing the volume except when I get surprised when I switch over to streaming (which generally doesn't have RG) and the jump in volume startles me.
    There is a setting in LMS player settings to reduce the volume of streaming audio by a fixed amount which helps in these circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Resurrecting an old thread to bring a new version of XLD to the attention of Mac users. Version 20191004 has a new command line option to add replaygain tags to CUE files. Back in April this year the author added this feature in response to a feature request I made following this thread. He added the feature within a couple of days and he let me have a test build, which worked perfectly on my entire collection. It's taken him until now to incorporate this feature into a new release. I fully recommend XLD - a great full-featured ripper, supported by a very responsive author.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I was inspired by this thread to look into ways to add replaygain tags to my 'FLAC Image+CUE sheet collection'. Ideally I'd like to leave the FLAC image untouched and just write RG tags to the CUE sheet. I use a Macbook, and although there's a Foobar2000 port for Mac now, it doesn't seem to have this capability, unless I've missed something.

I've used XLD for all my ripping, and it's capable of writing RG tags as part of the ripping process, but somehow I managed to turn off the RG options at some point in the past, so my files don't include these tags. But it turns out that it's possible to generate a new CUE sheet from a ripped image and to include RG tags in that new sheet.

I did:

'File' -> 'Open', and selected the CUE sheet (not the FLAC file). This loads the list of tracks.
    'File' -> 'Scan ReplayGain'. This produces a log file with the RG values included, but it doesn't update the original CUE file. At this point I thought that meant that RG tags couldn't be added (I thought I'd read that somewhere), but then I spotted..

'File' -> 'Save Cue Sheet As...'. This writes a new CUE sheet with the RG tags included. Like this:

Code:
    REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -6.03 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.999969
    FILE "Out Of The Blue.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 01 AUDIO
        TITLE "Turn To Stone"
        ISRC USSM17800576
        REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -6.35 dB
        REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.999023
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
    ...and LMS recognises both the album and track values.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a way to automate this for a complete folder structure. When I load multiple CUE sheets into XLD it seems to want to start transcoding the audio files. But it's a start!

If anyone knows how to do this automatically for an entire music folder I'd be pleased to hear it.