Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS on QNAP TS-112 with Debian and OMV

Hi,

I've just "recycled" an old QNAP 1-bay NAS (TS-112) by installing Debian and OpenMediaVault which works nicely. Now I thought I could also run Logitechmediaserver on it for added value, since back then LMS ran fine as a QNAP-package (7.7.2?) on that little machine.

So I've just downloaded the latest nightly 7.9.1 in *arm.deb and *all.deb and installed via dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.9.1_arm.deb but it did not work at first, /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --d_startup
    gave me the message, that some modules could not be loaded: *dbi* etc.

After some searching I found, that obviously for a 64-bit armel the PERL-CPAN-stuff is not included in the *.debs. So I compiled and copied the result from */5.24/arch into /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.24/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int, according to https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ublic/7.9/CPAN

When I now start LMS, I get this:

The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech Media Server:
    Audio::Scan (loaded 1.02, need 0.93)

How can I make LMS load the right module?

It also throws this:
    "To fix this problem you have several options:
    1. Install the latest version of the module(s) using CPAN: sudo cpan Some::Module
    2. Update the module's package using apt-get, yum, etc.
    3. Run the .tar.gz version of Logitech Media Server which includes all required CPAN modules.
    "

Could someone elaborate on the tips #1 and #2? I have tried #3, but I get the same messages. At first it complains about the missing modules, then after copying the compiled 5.24 into the decompressed tgz-folder and again - starting via "perl slimserver.pl" - the message (about loaded 1.02, needed 0.93) occurs.

Only for testing I have just tried to install the latest nightly 7.9.2 build over the 7.9.1. With some success: I now can access the WebGUI, let LMS scan the audio-folders and see all settings. But there are no players shown in the GUI and the server.log says repeatedly something like:

[19-03-18 20:54:27.4696] Slim::Web::Cometd::handler (422) errorNeedsClient: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status, -, 10, menu:menu, useContextMenu:1, subscribe:60

Other (JiveLite-based)-players and -remote-controls see and show the server to select. Then if chosen, they try to connect (the cycling symbol) but stop trying after a time and go back to the previous page ("connect to" and "switch library", where still only the QNAP is shown). I cannot access the other Logitech Media server in the network anymore now from the picore and both servers don't see each other in the webGUI of LMS as "remote libraries". But it is still possible to start sending audio to a SB receiver via the other LMS (v7.9.1 on Debian) in the network and listen to the audio. Strange: then the picore-player shows some contents of the playlist occasionally and/or switches back and forth from/to the play- (but without images being shown) and the menu-page even if "officially" not connected to any library ...

I hope you can help me to get either 7.9.1 or 7.9.2 on the QNAP to work.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by planetgroove; 2019-03-18 at 13:39. Reason: typo

LMS on QNAP TS-112 with Debian andOMV

> The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech
    > Media Server:
    > Audio::Scan (loaded 1.02, need 0.93)

You'd need to copy the Audio/Scan.pm file, too. But it seems 7.9.2 is
    all set for you.

Now you should probably describe your overall system a little more.

--

Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks for your quick answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech
    > Media Server:
    > Audio::Scan (loaded 1.02, need 0.93)

You'd need to copy the Audio/Scan.pm file, too.
    This is for using 7.9.1, right? From where to where?

The command "find . -name Scan.pm" sees the following for */Audio/ on the system:

In the compilation-folder:
    /slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/5.24/lib/perl5/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int/Audio/Scan.pm
    /slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/arch/5.24/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int/Audio/Scan.pm <-- this one obviously was copied by following the instructions on https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ublic/7.9/CPAN.

In the decompressed tgz-folder:
    /logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-arm-linux/lib/Audio/Scan.pm
    /logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-arm-linux/CPAN/arch/5.24/Audio/Scan.pm

But it seems 7.9.2 is all set for you.

Now you should probably describe your overall system a little more.
    There are now two LMS in the system. One 7.9.1 on Debian Jessie (edit: "Stretch") and this 7.9.2 on the QNAP-Debian (Armel 64 Bit, edit: "Stretch"), which should replace the other one as soon as it runs correctly. Then the raspi-picore-player (only as a command-device, replaces a defective Duet controller), one Squeezebox receiver and one Squeezebox Radio.

Debian on the QNAP was installed as described here: https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-119/
    OpenMediaVault then as described here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/ind...540#post166540
    Last edited by planetgroove; 2019-03-19 at 01:38. Reason: Debian version corrected, Added links to installation

> There are now two LMS in the system. One 7.9.1 on Debian Jessie and this
    > 7.9.2 on the QNAP-Debian (Armel 64 Bit), which should replace the other
    > one as soon as it runs correctly. Then the raspi-picore-player (only as
    > a command-device, replaces a defective Duet controller), one Squeezebox
    > receiver and one Squeezebox Radio.

And they're all on the same sub-network? What are the IP addresses of
    the various pieces? You didn't copy the existing LMS' configuration file
    to the new one, did you?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > There are now two LMS in the system. One 7.9.1 on Debian Jessie and this
    > 7.9.2 on the QNAP-Debian (Armel 64 Bit), which should replace the other
    > one as soon as it runs correctly. Then the raspi-picore-player (only as
    > a command-device, replaces a defective Duet controller), one Squeezebox
    > receiver and one Squeezebox Radio.

And they're all on the same sub-network? What are the IP addresses of
    the various pieces? You didn't copy the existing LMS' configuration file
    to the new one, did you?
    To answer the last question first: Yes, I copied it - the whole contents of the prefs-folder. Obviously that was wrong. I have now deinstalled LMS again via dpkg -P logitechmediaserver and removed /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs manually completely, since LMS stated, that it was not removed automatically. And then reinstalled via dpkg -i from http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

Now - after accessing the fresh install with automatically created preference-files - it seems to find the players and shows them in the webGUI. So it was just the right question you asked to find an answer and solve the problem ... Thanks. :-)

The other answers: Yes all are in the same net and subnet, no WLAN. Most IP's via DHCP, only the various servers are fixed IP's - above *.*.*.200

For the sake of completeness: Is there any way to safely copy/duplicate the prefs/settings from the old server without compromising the new one?

> Now - after accessing the fresh install with automatically created
    > preference-files - it seems to find the players and shows them in the
    > webGUI. So it was just the right question you asked to find an answer
    > and solve the problem ... Thanks. :-)

Ok, that would explain the behaviour: every server creates a UUID on the
    first start. Players would remember servers by this UUID. Now you had
    two servers with the same UUID, which got the players confused.

> For the sake of completeness: Is there any way to safely copy/duplicate
    > the prefs/settings from the old server without compromising the new one?

If you want to copy the configuration, get rid of the server_uuid value
    and all paths stored in there, as they'll likely point to something
    inexistent.

--

Michael