Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC with analogue input

There will be soon this HiFiberry Dac & ADC to buy.

Might be an easy solution to streaming vinyl from my Turntable, if I read this.

The DAC must be recognized by PiCorePlayer and the analogue input needs a menü in Jivelite probably. Installing something like this is beyond my capabilities I presume. Might this be incorporated into PiCorePlayer?

What do you think?
    2xPi3-7"+pCP+LMS | Transporter | 2xTouch | 2xClassic | 2xBoom | 2xRadio | iPeng | [2xOdroid U3+m2p+LMS]

I have a Pi that is already dedicated to that role but mine streams in FLAC using a Liquidsoap script and an Icecast server. It uses a Behringer UCA202 as it’s ADC.

I am sure you can add this in to PiCorePlayer but it’s not trivial and why would they do so now just because Hifiberry have built an ADC? There are plenty of others that already exist and work with Linux.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bluetdi View Post
    There will be soon this HiFiberry Dac & ADC to buy.

Might be an easy solution to streaming vinyl from my Turntable, if I read this.

The DAC must be recognized by PiCorePlayer and the analogue input needs a menü in Jivelite probably. Installing something like this is beyond my capabilities I presume. Might this be incorporated into PiCorePlayer?

What do you think?
    There is nothing complicated here. If you havce installed and got PCP running I think you probably already have enough skills.
    * The Waveinput based solution requires the Pi with the input to be running LMS. PCP can do this.
    * Waveinput is only a plugin - most of which is automated in LMS - posting on PCP thread can usually provide required help as PCP is ram based and so has a few additional quirks compared to standard LMS.
    * Creating a menu for Wavinput is just creating an LMS Favorite.

The main issues is making sure the input hardware is supported by PCP (i.e. has the device drivers inlcuded) and to test it beforehand with "arecord" as Waveinput uses arecord. As a start, you could buy a very cheap $5 USB audio input device as a test that you can set up Waveinput.

Thanks for your input. That does not seem to be too complicated.

I was not aware that the linux setup is installed already when LMS is running. If the plugin is installed and a favorite created, PCP will play the music from my preamp. Right?

Maybe I got it wrong, but will the PiCore-system recognize this new DAC? Is it the same HiFiBerry DAC+ that can be found in the dropdown menu of PCP? Will it be set up if my IQaudio DAC is removed and replaced with this HiFiBerry?

Edit: I just realized that at least Linux Kernel 4.18 mandatory. PCP seems to have 4.14 so the DAC wont work at the moment. Will have to wait until the kernel ist updated.
    Last edited by bluetdi; 2019-03-18 at 04:31.
    2xPi3-7"+pCP+LMS | Transporter | 2xTouch | 2xClassic | 2xBoom | 2xRadio | iPeng | [2xOdroid U3+m2p+LMS]

Quote Originally Posted by bluetdi View Post
    Thanks for your input. That does not seem to be too complicated.

I was not aware that the linux setup is installed already when LMS is running. If now the plugin is installed and a favorite created, PCP will play the music from my preamp. Right?
    Yes.

Maybe I got it wrong, but will the PiCore-system recognize this new DAC? Is it the same HiFiBerry DAC+ that can be found in the dropdown menu of PCP? Will it be set up if my IQaudio DAC is removed and replaced with this HiFiBerry?
    The drop down is the list of OUTPUT DACS - just because the DAC is supported does not mean the ADC is also supported. Sometime there are two sets of drivers one for input and one for output - sometime combined. I don't know the current availability and level of support. These are questions for the pCP developers.

Before doing anything else - I think you make a post on the PCP thread https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...rePlayer-4-0-0 (all the PCP developers read it and they have many DACs which are used when testing PCP releases ) and ask whether the input ADC is supported ? You should get a definitive answer Yes , No or perhaps a set of instruction on how to install a driver.

As PCP 4.1.0 was released in Nov 2018 and the ADC card was only release on Nov 2018 - I think this new HIfiberry DAC+ ADC card was not tested.

PCP - used a RAM based reduced version of Linux called Tiny Core Linux. This means if playing internet streams or accessing files over network - no "disk" activity. It also means after "installing" items such as a plugin or a driver - you need to check on the PCP way of making it "permanent" - otherwise it will be goine after a power down. This is a well known task and many instructions for it.

The Input ADC will need a device driver. The device driver needs to be built for the PCP version of Linux - IIRC you just cannot take a driver suited for Raspbian or similar Pi based Linux. If you're lucky it is already included in the PCP build. If not the PCP developers may be able to provide the driver if Hifiberry provides a single driver module for all their boards and it needs to be updated to keep PCP support current. I would think your skills would not be up to building your own driver for the ADC.

Thank you, I put my questions in the PCP 4.0 thread and hope for positive answers.

Lets keep the conversation here. The issue I have with support is that I don't have hardware, and since input source has no interest to me from a usage standpoint, I'm not just going to go buy hardware.

But pCP 5.0.0 is nearly ready, and will have a 4.19.y kernel. I'm pretty sure I've already included all the needed drivers, but I'll check.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Lets keep the conversation here. The issue I have with support is that I don't have hardware, and since input source has no interest to me from a usage standpoint, I'm not just going to go buy hardware.

But pCP 5.0.0 is nearly ready, and will have a 4.19.y kernel. I'm pretty sure I've already included all the needed drivers, but I'll check.
    AFAICT this is the Hifiberry kernel update for the DAC+ ADC https://github.com/hifiberry/dacadckernel

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    AFAICT this is the Hifiberry kernel update for the DAC+ ADC https://github.com/hifiberry/dacadckernel

It's already listed in the Raspbian "README" for the overlays

Name: hifiberry-dacplusadc
    Info: Configures the HifiBerry DAC+ADC audio card
    Load: dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplusadc,<param>=<val>
    Params: 24db_digital_gain Allow gain to be applied via the PCM512x codec
    Digital volume control. Enable with
    "dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus,24db_digital_gain"
    (The default behaviour is that the Digital
    volume control is limited to a maximum of
    0dB. ie. it can attenuate but not provide
    gain. For most users, this will be desired
    as it will prevent clipping. By appending
    the 24dB_digital_gain parameter, the Digital
    volume control will allow up to 24dB of
    gain. If this parameter is enabled, it is the
    responsibility of the user to ensure that
    the Digital volume control is set to a value
    that does not result in clipping/distortion!)
    slave Force DAC+ Pro into slave mode, using Pi as
    master for bit clock and frame clock.
    I suggest that if the OP wants to play, that he/she just buys a spare sd card and the device.

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    But pCP 5.0.0 is nearly ready, and will have a 4.19.y kernel.
    Great news. Excellent.

/Claus