Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Windows 10: Master volume amplified

This isn't really a LMS matter, again. But I found it while investigating Squeezelite-X, so...

I recently noticed that the master volume is amplified. I don't know why or how. The green bar on the left (Speakers) shows the same audio output as the tiny little one from squeezelite-win:

Name:  lms_slx12.png
Views: 266
Size:  15.5 KB

If I switch to another audio adapter, both bars have the same height.

I changed the drivers to a recent one (from Synaptics, who apparently bought Conexant), but it made no difference.

Anyone here knows why this would happen?
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Try changing drivers in Squeezelite-X. With ASIO or DirectSound, squeezelite-win should disappear from the Volume Mixer. After making that change, I wonder if you'll still be able to hear whatever that is. (ASIO sounds best to me. I don't use WASAPI because with squeezelite it's still limited to 44.1 as far as I know.)
    Last edited by left channel; 2019-03-13 at 10:42.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    Try changing drivers in Squeezelite-X. With ASIO or DirectSound, squeezelite-win should disappear from the Volume Mixer. After making that change, I wonder if you'll still be able to hear whatever that is. (ASIO sounds best to me. I don't use WASAPI because with squeezelite it's still limited to 44.1 as far as I know.)
    Thank you for your response. I should've mentioned that this amplifying happens with all audio sources (VLC, Firefox etc.) As for squeezelite-X's noise, that's a different matter.
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Could be a ground loop or other electrical noise in your system. Maybe change connections around? What is your hardware? How is it powered?
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Could be a ground loop or other electrical noise in your system. Maybe change connections around? What is your hardware? How is it powered?
    It's an ASUS UX32LN with a "Conexant SmartAudio HD" sound adapter. Which seems to be not so great.

There are not that many connections to change. There's a 3.5mm stereo jack connected to my Logitech 2.1 speakers. But even if I pull this only connection, the same happens with the inbuilt speakers.

Iĺd get a USB DAC
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

+1 on a USB DAC. That's the first basic upgrade to make. At the very least, you should borrow one as an experiment.

On even my best most powerful i7 laptop, the design is arranged in a way that can induce high-pitched sounds from the graphics board into the sound board, so I don't use the internal sound card at all.

What you've got there may be far better than the Realtek garbage in most PCs, but if you're on this forum it's quite likely you'll never be happy with the stock sound board in your computer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I’d get a USB DAC
    +1 on a USB DAC. That's the first basic upgrade to make. At the very least, you should borrow one as an experiment.

On even my best most powerful i7 laptop, the design is arranged in a way that can induce high-pitched sounds from the graphics board into the sound board, so I don't use the internal sound card at all.

What you've got there may be far better than the Realtek garbage in most PCs, but if you're on this forum it's quite likely you'll never be happy with the stock sound board in your computer anyway.
    You're both right, of course. Right know I'm quite comfy with external keyboard, mouse, speakers and displays. But for travels, I only take the notebook. And the volume is ridiculously high. I think I have to set the master to 2 (from 100), otherwise I'd be deaf by now.

I just installed the original (Windows 8.1) driver provided by ASUS, and it made things worse: Now it seems that changing the volume in SLX (note: I don't blame SLX here, but this "&(%%! driver) not only changes the volume but also equalizes things. On low volumes there's barely any low frequencies, just high frequencies, on high volumes it's the other way round.

This only affects this Conexant adapter. The Intel Audio driver (which is gone now, after I installed the Conexant drivers. WHY.) doesn't sport this behavior. Maybe it's just the driver that never got updated to work with recent systems.

As for the noise: Maybe it really is the graphics adapter. But I disabled all recording devices. Where should Windows get information about the noise? And why only from squeezelite?

Edit:

After uninstalling all the drivers and restarting the notebook, this amplifying madness stopped, some standard driver was used. And then Windows decided to reinstall the driver.

I think this is some loudness war thing. Output is maximized to whatever the master volume is set. Also, I can hear the sound compressors working. Annoying AF. The one thing every limiter needs is a bypass button.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2019-03-13 at 12:27. Reason: Fixed typos (the ones I recognized as such).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HiFimeDIY-U.../dp/B00AOH5JTQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Solution: "High Definition Audio Device"

I changed the driver to the standard "High Definition Audio Device" and the misery stopped.

Further investigation showed that some drivers come with Waves MaxxAudio. In my case, it was "just there", messing with the sound, with no indication that it was installed, as there was no UI. From what I learned, the UI is as crappy as the sound it produces. And no, it has no bypass button. You should know better, Waves.

This doesn't help with the mystery sound coming from SLX. But at least it isn't amplified any longer.

Thank you guys for your input here!