Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I've had a Transporter since 2006, and in all that time I think I may have used the knob perhaps half a dozen times, and then only out of idle curiosity.

As well as the spare display you say you've already bought, it might be sensible to have a spare of one of the internal power supplies, which are known to be a possible point of failure. Mine needed to be replaced after about 10 years. They are a simple drop-in replacement. I don't know where you're based; here in the UK they can be sourced here: https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax...c-2-3a-85-2251
    I too bought one of the replacement internal power supplies. It was simple to replace. Open case, unplug, then plugin. There's a thread on this forum about this, with pictures, etc. Mine needed replacement after about 10 years as well. I bought 3 replacements (the part was very cheap and small....shipping was the highest part of cost and didn't change with 3 units vs 1 unit).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I've had a Transporter since 2006, and in all that time I think I may have used the knob perhaps half a dozen times, and then only out of idle curiosity.
    It depends a bit on your setup though... Like yourself, I have an early release transporter, and didn't use the knob at all for a long time. However, in my current rack layout, it's much higher, just below the pre-amp, and I find myself using it more and more. My wife will stand 2 feet in front of it and use the remote, but I just twist the knob, click, twist, click go....

It's an ergonomics thing. When it was 20 inches off the floor, in a low rack, it didn't get used. Right now, it's at about a 4ft height, comfortable to use, so I use it!

Cheers, Dave
    Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio, and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight

Transporter controller remote?

Hi I'm picking up a transporter this week is the duet still the best/cheapest way to control the transporter?

Any other tips welcome thanks
    J

Quote Originally Posted by toolapcblack View Post
    Hi I'm picking up a transporter this week is the duet still the best/cheapest way to control the transporter?

Any other tips welcome thanks
    J
    If you mean the controller part of duet, yes it works well. But plenty of quality control apps for smart phones and tablets that do way more than the simple duet controller. If you have iOS device then iPeng app is the gold standard. I use iPeng, CONTROLLER (from duet), squeezeplay running on my laptop, or LMS via web browser on my laptop to control all my squeezeboxes, including TRANSPORTER.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

The Controller from the Duet pair is very dated hardware -- takes a long time to boot up, has a battery that doesn't last forever and doesn't have a great deal of flexibility. While it works to control the Transporter, I found it not very usable for that purpose.

There are several third-party apps used on smartphones. As GaryM notes, iPeng is the most prominent app for Apple devices, and continues to get good support.

I live in an Android world, and find Squeeze Cntrl (originally Squeeze Control, except a change in Play Store requirements made it necessary to change the name slightly). It continues to be supported and is a fine and flexible way to control the Transporter (and Touch and Boom and Duet, etc). Highly recommended, get it from the Play Store. I also used Orange Squeeze, and it works well, but I prefer Squeeze Cntrl. And I'm not sure how well-supported Orange Squeeze is at the moment.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You can use the digital out of the Transporter (S/PDIF or Optical) direct to your preamp and then it will avoid the analog>digital>analog transformation. HOWEVER, this will not use the Transporter's DAC which is one of the main reasons I like the Transporter.

Personally, I use the Transporter's DAC, by having the Balanced analog outs of the Transporter connecting to the Balanced analog inputs of my pre-amp.

On the otherhand, just set it up the way you think is best for you and give it a listen. Maybe the room EQ is more valuable than use of Transporter's DAC. But if I was feeding some other DAC, I'd use S/PDIF or optical out of Transporter.
    I've had a Transporter since 2006 and have always used the Coax digital out feeding either my Denon (originally) and now Yamaha receiver. I had a very large DVD-Audio and SACD collection 10+ years ago and was able to rip the audio from them and re-encode as 96k DTS files, converted to FLAC. The only way I can get the DTS bitstream to the Yamaha is via digital out, obviously. I do have have analogue outs of the Transporter feeding the Yamaha, as well, but most of the time just stick with using the Yamaha DAC.

It works for me, and I realize most users aren't going to have a 5.1 setup, but I've been in the recording biz since 1971 and have lots of my own 5.1 mixes I've done over the years. Anyway, too much information.

Enjoy the Transporter!!
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    The Controller from the Duet pair is very dated hardware -- takes a long time to boot up, has a battery that doesn't last forever and doesn't have a great deal of flexibility. While it works to control the Transporter, I found it not very usable for that purpose.

There are several third-party apps used on smartphones. As GaryM notes, iPeng is the most prominent app for Apple devices, and continues to get good support.

I live in an Android world, and find Squeeze Cntrl (originally Squeeze Control, except a change in Play Store requirements made it necessary to change the name slightly). It continues to be supported and is a fine and flexible way to control the Transporter (and Touch and Boom and Duet, etc). Highly recommended, get it from the Play Store. I also used Orange Squeeze, and it works well, but I prefer Squeeze Cntrl. And I'm not sure how well-supported Orange Squeeze is at the moment.

R.
    Orange Squeeze is still supported but why not just use Material Skin?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mixcloud

Any ideas how to get Mixcloud working on the Transporter? works fine fine on my Touch

Quote Originally Posted by toolapcblack View Post
    Any ideas how to get Mixcloud working on the Transporter? works fine fine on my Touch
    What error are you getting? There's a mixcloud plugin for LMS. I assume you've installed this as it's working on the TOUCH. I don't use, but are there settings within the mixcloud plugin to "turn on" players. Go to LMS > Settings > Plugins, then locate mixcloud. is there a settings button to the right of this? If not, go to players tab, select TRANSPORTER, then in the dropdown menu are there any options for mixcloud. (I don't know the answer to these questions because I don't have mixcloud installed).

thanks
    yes
    under the plugin i get

Mixcloud API key (which i have filled in)

and

Stream Format

=( use mp3 if available or always use mp4) ive tried both to no avail

never needed to mess with this on the Touch it just worked.
    the error message i get is "UNABLE TO PLAY FILE TYPE FOR ____"

maybe someone else could shed some light on this?