Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    just go RCA to RCA.
    Thanks.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of a server plugin that would power down a Transporter either after so much idle time, or on a schedule? I don't mind if it's good for other devices as well, but I'm specifically interested in not having the Transporter powered up for days on end. I don't mind having to turn it on to use it. I'd like to not have to remember to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any kind of a server plugin that would power down a Transporter either after so much idle time, or on a schedule? I don't mind if it's good for other devices as well, but I'm specifically interested in not having the Transporter powered up for days on end. I don't mind having to turn it on to use it. I'd like to not have to remember to turn it off.
    not needed because squeezeboxes are never really OFF. When not playing they are in basically standby mode but not truly off. This said, it is good to not use the displays when not needed. I use a plugin called "BLANK SAVER" and set that as the screensaver when OFF or NOT PLAYING.

The only true way to power off a Transporter is to unplug it from power.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not needed because squeezeboxes are never really OFF. When not playing they are in basically standby mode but not truly off. This said, it is good to not use the displays when not needed. I use a plugin called "BLANK SAVER" and set that as the screensaver when OFF or NOT PLAYING.

The only true way to power off a Transporter is to unplug it from power.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Thank you.
    Are you trying to save power or the Display life?

Name:  D6D4241D-5F3B-44A4-995A-3FEE6986017F.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  255EDE49-4A0C-4209-AA08-F1A0FD98CE4C.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  7302D632-ADEA-4981-8280-BE6151DEB5D3.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  168.2 KB

Have you seen the “Turn Audio Off” option?

You must be aware of the sleep timer too? And the Display setting can just be set to OFF when the Player is OFF. This is best for saving the display, though I do use Plugins for scheduling the Displays of Classics, as I do use and like the Spelled Time plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    Are you trying to save power or the Display life?

Name:  D6D4241D-5F3B-44A4-995A-3FEE6986017F.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  255EDE49-4A0C-4209-AA08-F1A0FD98CE4C.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  7302D632-ADEA-4981-8280-BE6151DEB5D3.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  168.2 KB

Have you seen the ôTurn Audio Offö option?

You must be aware of the sleep timer too? And the Display setting can just be set to OFF when the Player is OFF. This is best for saving the display, though I do use Plugins for scheduling the Displays of Classics, as I do use and like the Spelled Time plugin.
    The display and the heat generating components that have a finite life and can be costly to replace.

I too am a new owner of a Transporter SE as of last week. I bought a new-old-stock unit and am very happy with it; I have used a SlimP3 player since 2003, so the upgrade feels like jumping from a tricycle to a Ferarri. I'm using the analog output, and the sonic quality is absolutely discernible, despite the people I know who try to say that you can't tell the difference (the audio non-believers).

I somewhat wish I had bought a unit with the TransNav knob, but I don't know that I'll miss it that much since I have iPeng, which I've also used for a very long time. (As an aside, the Squeezebox platform of products is one of those few things that, in my opinion, has gotten more useful over time, thanks to things like iPeng and the ongoing development & continuation of the open source server software. I appreciate it it so much, especially since platform/manufacturer lock-in is so prevalent.)

I welcome any tips and advice anyone can share for maintaining this product. I yearned for one ever since it was released but it wasn't feasible at the time. In particular, I want to take care to prolong the life of the display as much as possible. I liked having the calendar/clock display on my SlimP3 when it was "off", but it sounds like this might not be advisable on the Transporter.

I did also buy a new-old-stock front display board to have as spare parts insurance. Does anyone know if the VFD part itself is still made (or sold), if one were willing to go to the effort to replace it on the board?

Thanks for any tips or comments!

Quote Originally Posted by user181 View Post
    I too am a new owner of a Transporter SE as of last week. I bought a new-old-stock unit and am very happy with it; I have used a SlimP3 player since 2003, so the upgrade feels like jumping from a tricycle to a Ferarri. I'm using the analog output, and the sonic quality is absolutely discernible, despite the people I know who try to say that you can't tell the difference (the audio non-believers).

I somewhat wish I had bought a unit with the TransNav knob, but I don't know that I'll miss it that much since I have iPeng, which I've also used for a very long time. (As an aside, the Squeezebox platform of products is one of those few things that, in my opinion, has gotten more useful over time, thanks to things like iPeng and the ongoing development & continuation of the open source server software. I appreciate it it so much, especially since platform/manufacturer lock-in is so prevalent.)

I welcome any tips and advice anyone can share for maintaining this product. I yearned for one ever since it was released but it wasn't feasible at the time. In particular, I want to take care to prolong the life of the display as much as possible. I liked having the calendar/clock display on my SlimP3 when it was "off", but it sounds like this might not be advisable on the Transporter.

I did also buy a new-old-stock front display board to have as spare parts insurance. Does anyone know if the VFD part itself is still made (or sold), if one were willing to go to the effort to replace it on the board?

Thanks for any tips or comments!
    You'll have fun with it. I have one with knob and in 10 years I've never touched the knob. I control from my laptop or ipeng. One thing I would say is to install the "BLANKSAVER" plugin on LMS and setup the options within player/Display tab in LMS > Settings. I have this setup so that when not playing the screens of the Transporter are OFF. One weak link is that these screens can eventually wear out/break. I haven't had that with my Transporter (yet), but did with my original BOOM.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Agreed with garyM although I have never heard of the displays outright breaking, but they can fade over time. Also, I personally use brightness level 2.

I somewhat wish I had bought a unit with the TransNav knob, but I don't know that I'll miss it that much
    I've had a Transporter since 2006, and in all that time I think I may have used the knob perhaps half a dozen times, and then only out of idle curiosity.

I welcome any tips and advice anyone can share for maintaining this product.
    As well as the spare display you say you've already bought, it might be sensible to have a spare of one of the internal power supplies, which are known to be a possible point of failure. Mine needed to be replaced after about 10 years. They are a simple drop-in replacement. I don't know where you're based; here in the UK they can be sourced here: https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax...c-2-3a-85-2251
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A